Florida commission: Disney discriminated against autistic visitors

arko

Easy. Just as those with invisible disabilities (sensory disorders) helped run the GAC into the ground by using it as an unlimited FOTL FP, they were doing the same with DAS to where Disney had to make changes (see story below). There is no way to blame this latest episode of rampant and continued abuse on anyone other that those with sensory disorders because it is only this group who is eligible for DAS.

DAS a New One
As if all that isn’t keeping the parks Cast Members busy enough in what used to be a slow season, another important initiative is being rolled out just before Thanksgiving. The plan to roll out an electronic version of the Disability Access Service (DAS) cards begins later this week, with a go-live date of November 19th. Instead of a paper card filled in by hand at Guest Relations kiosks around the park, the new DAS system will be electronic and linked to your park ticket or Annual Pass.

Guest Relations Cast Members with handheld scanner tablets at the kiosks will assign an entry time to every park ticket linked to the DAS ticket holder, and then Attractions Cast Members at the receiving attraction will scan each park ticket and confirm on their tablet that those guests are allowed to enter at that time. Once the tickets have been scanned at the attraction, the system would then allow the visitors to return to a kiosk for the next DAS attraction time.
The goal here is to eliminate the widespread DAS fraud and abuse that has increased dramatically at the Anaheim parks. The DAS system at WDW is seeing smaller levels of abuse and fraud, but the problems are rampant and at their most blatant in Anaheim. The new electronic version will force all DAS holders to declare in advance the exact people who are in their party, and then all of those people will have their ticket or AP electronically linked by Guest Relations to the person who has the DAS privileges. Each park ticket or AP will only be allowed to be linked to one DAS ticket holder at a time, thus eliminating the growing practice of families or groups of friends collecting multiple DAS cards and then rounding up multiple ride entries at a time for the entire group.

http://micechat.com/85860-miceage-update-bridge-to-nowhere/

All that shows is non disabled people were finding ways to make the DAS ineffective just like they did with the GAC. Nowhere does it state that those with invisible disabilities were responsible. WDW has not had to implement this version of the DAS, because the issue is related to AP holders not invisble disabilities, and DLR has a large number of AP holders compared to WDW.

arko

Or, oh I don't know, people that LIE about their child having a sensory disorder. Because, as I hope you are aware, a doctor's note isn't required to obtain a DAS. So please stop blaming people with sensory disorders for the fraud and abuse. It makes you appear to have what I like to refer to as a "low intelligence disorder."

The people cheating the system have all sorts of different lies, having a sensory disorder is just one of them.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I understand what you suggest but please consider that we don't have a 'right' to drive any vehicle on the road. The car must be registered. It must pass safety and emissions inspections. It must have a license plate. The government is granting me a license to operate that vehicle on the road.

I'm not following your train of thought here... Access to a Grocery Store is not some inalienable right either. A store owner can deny you if they so chose - with the exception of discriminating against protected classes. We simply have decided that the disabled should not be discriminated against in public places, employment, etc.

Additionally, just because we have limits on something, or regulation, does not change if something is a right or not. The "yelling fire in a crowded theater" example does not mean we've thrown out the 1st amendment.

We've created anti-discrimination laws in things that have nothing to do with 'rights' - the purpose of ADA is not to ensure the disabled are guaranteed their rights - but simply to encourage that the disabled are not being blocked from functioning in normal society where they could otherwise if we took basic steps to ensure we are not EXCLUDING them.

Rights vs privileged is not even part of the discussion IMO. ADA was setup around life functions and being mainstreamed vs being suppressed because you are a special case.

Todd H

The people cheating the system have all sorts of different lies, having a sensory disorder is just one of them.

Oh I know. I just used the term "sensory disorder" because it seems to be the only thing this person understands. ;)

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Or, oh I don't know, people that LIE about their child having a sensory disorder. Because, as I hope you are aware, a doctor's note isn't required to obtain a DAS. So please stop blaming people with sensory disorders for the fraud and abuse. It makes you appear to have what I like to refer to as a "low intelligence disorder."

Todd, He's trolling. He's been trolling for 11 pages.

jlthomas81

I just don't understand why people feel the need to this kind of thing. There a numerous parents of ASD kiddos, myself included, who have replied to this thread and stated their own personal experiences. And yet, he just doesn't get it :banghead:

Nemo14

I just don't understand why people feel the need to this kind of thing. There a numerous parents of ASD kiddos, myself included, who have replied to this thread and stated their own personal experiences. And yet, he just doesn't get it :banghead:
He gets it - he just has a need to be fed.

NMBC1993

Why don't they just give the assistant cards to everyone, that way no one can feel discriminated against (just like there are no losers in middle school PE sporting events anymore). Just have CMs handing them out to everyone as they enter the gates. Imagine a three hour line for the special entrance area and a 5 minute wait for standby;)

PhotoDave219

Original Poster

Whether or not you experience it, its a simple understanding that Disney may not legally ask a guest to prove they have a disability.

And then this leads to all types of reprehensible pieces of garbage trying to game the system. Any loophole, people try to exploit.

Todd H

Whether or not you experience it, its a simple understanding that Disney may not legally ask a guest to prove they have a disability.

And then this leads to all types of reprehensible pieces of garbage trying to game the system. Any loophole, people try to exploit.

Because, as I've learned over the years, people suck.

You mean like Georgia Tech fans?

:hilarious:

BuzzKillington

The fact that I am passionate about the traditionally disabled being tossed to the wayside by Disney should not be construed as trolling. What Disney did was repulsive and they are paying the price for selling out to the squeaky wheel who continues to abuse the system (not to mention suing them).

NOT ELIGIBLE FOR DAS:

ELIGIBLE FOR DAS:

Last edited:

Prince-1

The two are not mutually exclusive. You can do something for more than one reason.

I go to WDW because I enjoy it.
I go to WDW because it offers a unique location that allows my son to expand his abilities and test his behaviors in a place that provides the exact stimulation he craves and seeks amongst that which he despises and avoids.

Both of those are true statements. For someone raising a child with disabilities, fun is a perk where you can find it. But the primary reason behind everything we do is improving the life of our children through our daily lives. If I did not have a son with autism, I'd still go to WDW. But it would be less often, the manner in which I tour the parks would be much different, and I would definitely vacation elsewhere more frequently. But I use my limited budget on WDW and WDW alone, because I know the valuable impacts it has on my sons behaviors and abilities.

Thanks.

DManRightHere

Does anyone else think its dumb that some people assume they know what all handicaps are and what they can and can't do?

No need for rude sarcasm, it's just an observation that didn't make any sense to me. If someone gives me a practical explanation I cam change my mind. What is the point of a handicap parking space? Shouldn't they only be for people that have trouble walking distances or wheelchair bound? What good is a handicap space at a difficult hiking trail where there are only 12 parking spaces to begin with?

arko

The fact that I am passionate about the traditionally disabled being tossed to the wayside by Disney should not be construed as trolling. What Disney did was repulsive and they are paying the price for selling out to the squeaky wheel who continues to abuse the system.

NOT ELIGIBLE FOR DAS:

ELIGIBLE FOR DAS:

You have never asked for one have you, the requirements are the following

Disney Parks’ goal is to accommodate guests who aren’t able to wait in a conventional queue environment due to a disability (including non-apparent disabilities). Guests should visit Guest Relations to discuss their assistance needs.

So with the exception of the first individual who is simply in a wheelchair (although he may have other issues that would prevent him from having to be in a line) all are eligible.

If you simply go in and state someone is in a wheelchair, you will be told that the lines accommodate wheelchairs. If you instead tell them the reason why they can't wait in the line then you will be given a DAS. those reasons are many and not limited to strictly invisible disabilities. They can range from physical reasons like number 2 who isn't in a wheelchair but has mobility problems and woudl benefit from waiting sitting down somewhere. Number 3 could easily have physical issues that are hard to deal with stuck in a line, such as feeding requirements etc. Number 4 woudl get one if he had sensory issues, or social issues etc that woudl be better served by waiting outside the line.
In fact number 1 could qualify for any number of reasons. But since I am looking at carefully chosen pictures and not people its hard for me to say whether they woudl qualify or not.

MarthaMartha1

No need for rude sarcasm, it's just an observation that didn't make any sense to me. If someone gives me a practical explanation I cam change my mind. What is the point of a handicap parking space? Shouldn't they only be for people that have trouble walking distances or wheelchair bound? What good is a handicap space at a difficult hiking trail where there are only 12 parking spaces to begin with?
Maybe the person with a HC space has a heart condition and can't walk the whole way but wants to walk a little bit of the trail. Maybe the person with a HC space wants to get out of the car and greet a friend who just finished the trail. Maybe the person with a HC space actually can navigate a difficult trail with special equipment but needs the roomier parking space to get out of the car. Just some possible reasons I thought of.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom