Florida commission: Disney discriminated against autistic visitors

Todd H

The fact that I am passionate about the traditionally disabled being tossed to the wayside by Disney should not be construed as trolling. What Disney did was repulsive and they are paying the price for selling out to the squeaky wheel who continues to abuse the system (not to mention suing them).

NOT ELIGIBLE FOR DAS:

ELIGIBLE FOR DAS:

You do realize that those people you showed earlier with canes/wheelchairs don't need to bother with a DAS as all they have to do is request a return time and they will be given one right?

Does a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter need a DAS Card?
No, a Guest whose disability is based on the necessity to use a wheelchair or scooter does not need a DAS Card. Depending on the attraction, the Guest will either wait in the standard queue or receive a return time at the attraction based on the current wait time.

As for the young man with Down's Syndrome, I assume you have some type of proof again that he is ineligible? Or is this more of your "low intelligence disorder?"

DManRightHere

Maybe the person with a HC space has a heart condition and can't walk the whole way but wants to walk a little bit of the trail. Maybe the person with a HC space wants to get out of the car and greet a friend who just finished the trail. Maybe the person with a HC space actually can navigate a difficult trail with special equipment but needs the roomier parking space to get out of the car. Just some possible reasons I thought of.

Larger space for special equipment. That is the perfect answer. Thank you!

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
The fact that I am passionate about the traditionally disabled being tossed to the wayside by Disney should not be construed as trolling. What Disney did was repulsive and they are paying the price for selling out to the squeaky wheel who continues to abuse the system (not to mention suing them).

NOT ELIGIBLE FOR DAS:

ELIGIBLE FOR DAS:

You posted your BS before. We get it. You're passionate.

I'm sorry you stepped on a land mine while helping an old lady cross the street in her wheel chair.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
No need for rude sarcasm, it's just an observation that didn't make any sense to me. If someone gives me a practical explanation I cam change my mind. What is the point of a handicap parking space? Shouldn't they only be for people that have trouble walking distances or wheelchair bound? What good is a handicap space at a difficult hiking trail where there are only 12 parking spaces to begin with?

Whether it makes sense isnt the point. The point is that its the law.

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Sorry, I was referring to the troll...i don't understand why people feel the need to troll....

Yeah, I just broke my own rule there.

My biggest thing is the people attempt to take advantage of ADA and Disney's inability to question the guests about disabilities.

jlthomas81

Yeah, I just broke my own rule there.

My biggest thing is the people attempt to take advantage of ADA and Disney's inability to question the guests about disabilities.

Agreed! The people who actually think that taking advantage of a situation like that are the ones who need to be taken to court. We've built up so many laws and rules around ourselves now that criminals and thieves can essentially work the system and be protected. Its disgusting, and very, very offensive.

DManRightHere

Whether it makes sense isnt the point. The point is that its the law.

Things we do should still make practical sense. It would help reduce waste environmentally and monetarily.

Someone did point out to me that accessable spaces are larger for people that may require special equipment, that's a good reason to require all public parking lots to require handicap spaces.

Sassagoula-Rvr

Seriously?
What proof do you have that those with invisible disabilities ruined this program , because a lot of the evidence show that it started at DLR by people showing up in wheelchairs who didn't need them, and it was a common site to see teenagers being wheeled around and then getting up and walking onto rides, which then devolved into people realizing they didn't even need to fake the wheelchair. In fact the most widely reported case of abuse was the one about rich families using a guide with a wheelchair as a guide and then using their GAC to use the FP line while the guy did not even ride. That is actual documented abuse by someone in a wheelchair.

Of course its not indicative of the average wheelchair guest who obeys the rules, just lke the average family with an autistic child who used the GAC within its limits. There will always be exceptions to the rule like the wheelchair guide and the family that uses a GAC when they could get by without one, but unlike you I am not going to paint everyone in a wheelchair with the same coat of paint as the guy in a wheelchair getting paid to abuse his or her GAC.
The word traditional is really insulting, like somehow they have some built superiority because their disability is physical and obvious. A disability is a disability and the GAC served all well, if you want to lay blame for its removal look elsewhere.

I have seen cases of this at WDW...heck...one time they were literally taking turns! People...

MaryJaneP

Wait, so does this mean that in Florida, I can get a lawyer to sue an orange grove for not accommodating my child that is allergic to oranges?

Goofnut1980

People need to stop being whiny butts about not getting their way every time. Geesh. Is that all we can do in this country is sue because we don't get our way? dang!

If the child is "that" autistic, why would you put them in a social setting like Disney with all the noise and crowds? I can relate because my cousin is severely autistic and we avoid those situations for him. If the child can ride a ride, and be in one place and restrained for 2-4 minutes, not to mention a plane or car ride for multiple hours.. then there shouldn't be any issue waiting 5 minutes with a return time. Just saying my two cents worth.

Last edited:

StarWarsGirl

If the child is "that" autistic, why would you put them in a social setting like Disney with all the noise and crowds?
I, along with others, have already explained that many children can handle it with proper accommodations, on this and other threads. Many children with ASD (autism spectrum disorders) actually benefit from trips to WDW. For my younger brother, it's actually a good, safe environment where he can practice his social skills and deal with crowds, and he handles crowds very well as a result. The stimulation is actually good for many of these kids. While I think that the DAS is a reasonable accommodation, it's not fair to judge others on whether or not they choose to take their child to WDW.
I can relate because my cousin is severely autistic and we avoid those situations for him. If the child can ride a ride, and be in one place and restrained for 2-4 minutes, not to mention a plane or car ride for multiple hours.. then there shouldn't be any issue waiting 5 minutes with a return time. Just saying my two cents worth.
You see, you have literally met one person with autism. There's a whole array of those on the autism spectrum who have different needs, and while some like your cousin cannot handle an environment like WDW, many can. My younger brother comes back from WDW and makes leaps and bounds in school and in his social skills. It's really quite amazing. I know other children with ASD have had similar experiences. You are correct that those with more severe autism, such as your cousin, may not be able to handle WDW, but it's different for every child, so it's really up to no one but a parent/caregiver as to whether or not vacationing at WDW is a good thing.

As far as waiting, there was always a wait, even with the former GAC. And getting on a ride and waiting in line are not the same thing. Waiting in line for a ride is like holding out a piece of candy attached to a stick and telling the child that they can't have it. Being on a ride is like eating that candy. Not at all the same thing.

As for your car ride comparison, car rides are a fairly normal part of life for those with ASD. So a long car ride is just that...a long car ride. Airplanes are more like attractions at WDW, different and stimulating, though some may not be able to handle longer plane rides. I can pretty much hand my brother a tablet and he's good for several hours, though. I imagine it's the same way for others for long trips, that they have movies or other distractions just like you would for any other child. :)

Personally, I don't agree with the lawsuit and while DAS is far from perfect, I, as well as others on here, agree that it works. However, I don't think judging parents on their choice to vacation in WDW with their choice to vacation at WDW with children who have ASD is fair either.

Ok... i dont have time to read 13 pages, so excuse me it I reprat someone else's response(s):

#1 - how is it a violation for someone to voluntarily go to a theme park to voluntarily get in line to ride a ride, but be expected or required to give you immediate access?

#2 - how is access to a FP on every ride in the park not fair? Heck, everyone else gets 3!

#3 - why is it not obvious to any intelligent person the motive behind this attorney and his "clients"?

#4 - two of my 3 children have been diagnosed with Acute ADHD... what the HECK do you think life is like for my wife, me and everyone else in line around us? Shouldnt we qualify to skip the wait at the entrance, the rides, and the food lines?

I have an autistic cousin who lives in Florida and I can promise you she aint one of these "clients."

PhotoDave219

Original Poster
Ok... i dont have time to read 13 pages, so excuse me it I reprat someone else's response(s):

#1 - how is it a violation for someone to voluntarily go to a theme park to voluntarily get in line to ride a ride, but be expected or required to give you immediate access?

#2 - how is access to a FP on every ride in the park not fair? Heck, everyone else gets 3!

#3 - why is it not obvious to any intelligent person the motive behind this attorney and his "clients"?

#4 - two of my 3 children have been diagnosed with Acute ADHD... what the HECK do you think life is like for my wife, me and everyone else in line around us? Shouldnt we qualify to skip the wait at the entrance, the rides, and the food lines?

I have an autistic cousin who lives in Florida and I can promise you she aint one of these "clients."

Read back a few pages to parentsof4's analysis. It should explain a lot.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Things we do should still make practical sense. It would help reduce waste environmentally and monetarily.

Someone did point out to me that accessable spaces are larger for people that may require special equipment, that's a good reason to require all public parking lots to require handicap spaces.

Have you noticed that 'Handicap' spots tend to have expensive cars in them... At least up here they do, Rarely do you see a handicap car with adaptive equipment but you do see the Escalades, BMW's and Acuras with the 'Windy Brae Country Club' membership decals proudly displayed along with the HCAP plate or hang tag...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom