Flip Flop recommendations?

Minnie1986

Original Poster
Hi All. I know that most recommend sneakers, etc for the parks, but I never have and never will be a sneakers kind of girl. Can anyone recommend a comfortable flip flop/sandal? Preferably something with support? Thanks!

DisneyGigi

Hi All. I know that most recommend sneakers, etc for the parks, but I never have and never will be a sneakers kind of girl. Can anyone recommend a comfortable flip flop/sandal? Preferably something with support? Thanks!
Do not, even for one day do it. If it rains, your feet slide all around and make blisters! I know because I have made the mistake many a time, even just for a day to show off my Mickey pedicure. It is not worth it. Sneakers and a decently thick footie are your friend! ;)

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes

As DisneyShe pointed out you need to take care of the bottom of your feet a bit better. I'd advance it a bit more and add you need to protect the tops of your feet as well. There are multitudes of heavy wheeled objects aimed by inattentive pushers/drivers and crowds of people who will inadvertently step on your feet. Your foot comes out of the sandal in a crowd, don't expect for the world to stop as it will gleefully roll over you.

Minnie1986

Original Poster
I prefer wearing flip flops in the parks, I go during warm months and I can't tolerate sneakers in the heat. I love Nike's comfort footbed, never had a blister, always feels very comfortable.:)
Thank you! Granted, I'm going in October, from what I understand, it's still well into the 80's range and I will be miserable in sneakers.

KikoKea

Is this your first time? If so, I strongly urge you to reconsider taking only sandals. As other posters noted, there are real problems when your sandals get wet or Little Precious pushes her little bro's stroller over your foot. And, I, too, have had a hotspot form on the bottom of my foot from not only a wet sandal, but a dry one- NOT a pleasant way to spend your evening, limping back to the hotel room. Also, if your flip flops start to rub your foot, and they very well may, you'll need something to wear that does not put pressure on that spot until it heals, which may be days.

Here's a compromise for warm weather I've learned over the years and it helps keep my feet from hurting. I toss a pair of sandals in my husband's backpack so I can switch out during the day. Good ones, not the foam rubber type, flat soled, or cheap ones. I suggest you check out Vionics (great molded foot bed) or a good pair of Sketchers or other quality brands.

Also, some brands now have sneaker soles paired with uppers that don't have the traditional athletic shoe look. Many are very breathable and should not be unbearably hot for Oct. What with walking about 10 or more miles a day and on your feet for 14+ hrs a day, you will want something comfortable. Whatever you bring, be sure to try them out for a few weeks to make sure they do not rub, (If you are worried about style, don't be! Comfort rules at WDW for good reason! :))

Minnie1986

Original Poster
Definitely not my first time; I own property in Orlando, because we used to go so often when my sibling and I were children. What I wore on my feet as a kid, I have no idea. The last time I went was 2011 and wore sneakers, but my feet were miserable since I am not accustomed to wearing sneakers anywhere but the gym(wasn't kidding when I said I hate them). I've been looking into sketchers sandals or some type of closed toed shoe that won't drive me nuts(you're right about the stroller thing and I have a very short temper).

KikoKea

Definitely not my first time; I own property in Orlando, because we used to go so often when my sibling and I were children. What I wore on my feet as a kid, I have no idea. The last time I went was 2011 and wore sneakers, but my feet were miserable since I am not accustomed to wearing sneakers anywhere but the gym(wasn't kidding when I said I hate them). I've been looking into sketchers sandals or some type of closed toed shoe that won't drive me nuts(you're right about the stroller thing and I have a very short temper).

I know what you mean about sneakers. Been in Hawaii for about 14 years now, and easily 80% of that time has been barefoot since we don't wear shoes in the house. My feet are hard to fit and I have a high insole and narrow heel on top of it all, so finding shoes or sneaks is a chore. I just bought a pair of Vionic sandals and am very pleased. Great support, they do not rub anywhere, are almost waterproof, look very nice, and cost under $45. I'm taking them in Sept, for sure.

Minnie1986

Original Poster
I know what you mean about sneakers. Been in Hawaii for about 14 years now, and easily 80% of that time has been barefoot since we don't wear shoes in the house. My feet are hard to fit and I have a high insole and narrow heel on top of it all, so finding shoes or sneaks is a chore. I just bought a pair of Vionic sandals and am very pleased. Great support, they do not rub anywhere, are almost waterproof, look very nice, and cost under $45. I'm taking them in Sept, for sure.
I was just looking at those on Amazon; they sound great. Thanks!

Minnie1986

Original Poster
Do not, even for one day do it. If it rains, your feet slide all around and make blisters! I know because I have made the mistake many a time, even just for a day to show off my Mickey pedicure. It is not worth it. Sneakers and a decently thick footie are your friend! ;)
What, may I ask, is a footie?

KikoKea

Footies come as high as the ankle so are not noticeable when wearing shoes. Some are very thin, like hosiery, or can be as thick or thin as a regular sock. They act like any other sock and help protect your feet from blisters.

Johnny Hess

I was born and raised by the beach, so I grew up in flip flops. I always always always wear my Quicksilver flip flops to the parks. Any time I have worn shoes, I end up regretting it by the end of the day (aside from when it's 40-something degrees out in the winter, and it's still awful). Quicksilvers are very well made and can handle a lot of abuse. They are super comfortable and each pair lasts me a very long time. You can find a great pair for cheap at outlets like Ross or TJMax for $10-15.

Last edited:

NonnaT

Big mistake Minnie! Trust what other peeps on the forums are telling you! Find a pair of sneakers/athletic shoes/tennis prior to going and start wearing them around home! Your dogs will thank you!!!

4disneylovers

I broke my own rule and wore something other than socks and tennis shoes earlier this month on the first day of our trip. I wore water shoes. I nursed blisters the hole time. I thought it would be ok since we were only going to animal kingdom for 3 fastpasses then to blizzard beach. I had blisters before we got to the tree.

If I was going to wear flip flops it would be my sanuks.

Minnie1986

Original Poster
I only take FitFlops with me to WDW. I have several pair and I never have problems with them with the exception of my suede ones. They will turn you feet colors if they get wet.
I was looking at a pair of fit flops yesterday, but they didn't have my size. Hopefully, when the store gets a shipment in on Tuesday, they will have them. Thanks!

Minnie1986

Original Poster
Big mistake Minnie! Trust what other peeps on the forums are telling you! Find a pair of sneakers/athletic shoes/tennis prior to going and start wearing them around home! Your dogs will thank you!!!
I have a pair that are very well worn in that I'll be taking, just in case. I'm also going to start walking in the mornings(in those sneakers) to increase my stamina, since a full day in a park is the equivalent of walking several miles(I believe). Thanks.

NonnaT

I have a pair that are very well worn in that I'll be taking, just in case. I'm also going to start walking in the mornings(in those sneakers) to increase my stamina, since a full day in a park is the equivalent of walking several miles(I believe). Thanks.
True that!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom