News Flights of Wonder closing and replaced by 'UP! A Great Bird Adventure'

Brad Bishop

I saw Flights of Wonder once. I thought it was pretty good. The problem is that there's not a lot of replay, there. After I saw it once I never walked by it and thought, "Oh, need to catch that again! It's amazing!"

I think that's kind of typical for animal shows in theme parks. They give you something to do on a busy day but that's about it.

Kman101

I can agree on the repeatability. It's still a nice show though and I enjoy it, but I just went to see it a few months ago for the first time in I don't know how long. So it was a long stretch of time in me seeing the show. But I can also go to a park for a few hours and not even get on a ride sometimes so ... lol

Weather_Lady

I'm not necessarily disappointed to see it go (disclaimer: we never saw it in person: checked it out on YouTube, saw that it was very similar to the bird show at our local zoo that we've seen several times, and crossed it off of the AK itineraries).

However, I hate to see anything at WDW be discontinued without an immediate, ready-for-primetime replacement. Empty venues are "poor show," and it looks terrible when guests consistently read more news about attractions closing than about ones opening. Disney tries to obfuscate this by shutting down a dozen rides and shows within a short time, and then spending the next 3-4 years constantly issuing press releases teasing half as many new ones, but we can do the math. When my family visits in 2018, the net gain/loss of attractions (rides and shows - I'm not including live entertainment or exhibits, character M&Gs, or any attraction that was replaced with something else) at the parks since our visit in 2016 will be something like AK +1, MK -2, Epcot -2, and HS -3. Granted, not all of the shuttered attractions were winners (Ellen's Energy Adventure and Stitch's Great Escape, I'm looking at you!), but at least they filled seats with people -- people who wouldn't then be standing in front of me in the queue somewhere else. ;)

plutofan15

Highly underrated show that we always enjoy. If it does close, hopefully it will be replaced with something better or equally as good.
As a side note, I was chosen to go onstage to participate during the part where the owl flies directly at you. Pretty cool. Here is the photo I was able to take.

upload_2017-11-2_12-36-47.png

Texas84

On my last trip they were doing a 'mini-show' in front of the Tree of Life. If the theater closes maybe this will continue.

Sonconato

Highly underrated show that we always enjoy. If it does close, hopefully it will be replaced with something better or equally as good.
As a side note, I was chosen to go onstage to participate during the part where the owl flies directly at you. Pretty cool. Here is the photo I was able to take.

View attachment 241321
That is one great picture! Thanks for putting it on the forum.

Clyde Birdbrain

Unknown Member
This is my favorite show at Disney World and one of my favorite attractions. I've seen it many times and would be very sad to see it go. As a birder I am very interested in seeing the different birds from around the world and I do think that repeatability is pretty good as the birds regularly change and every show can be a little bit different. My wife and I saw it again yesterday (I wasn't kidding that we like this show) and one of the white doves came back when the Harris Hawk was flying over the audience, which was pretty dangerous so the CM kept telling it to go away, which was funny. Even the same birds change over time; I've seen Baby Elvis, the King Vulture that Guano Joe wants to land on his finger, grow up in the last couple of years and change its plumage from black to white. They'll soon have to find another baby bird, because it now has most of its adult plumage.

At the end of the show yesterday they asked some of the audience to stay to have a new bird get used to the crowd. I've seen this a few times; they play part of the intro music and a bird comes out and has to fly or walk somewhere and then go back stage. Yesterday it was a Violaceous Turaco and they are teaching it to come out of a hole, fly up to the wall on the right, then fly back to the left and go into another hole. The first time it came out it flew straight into the hole, skipping the wall. The CM explained that they only use positive reinforcement to train the birds, so when it went straight into the hole it still got a treat, but only some dry pellets, which is not its favorite. After a reset they tried again and this time the Turaco did the right thing, so it got a nice plate of papaya and other fruits after disappearing in the hole. I love seeing these things.

I would be surprised to see them still training new birds if the show would close at the end of the year. I am wondering if the show will be renamed and changed now that the park has a new ride with a very similar name. I can imagine that guests may get confused between Flight of Passage and Flights of Wonder.

They also recently refurbished the theater, adding the new roof. The front still looks weird and unfinished though, with the large brown blocks. Maybe they'll make a new entrance with the new name of the show? I don't mind if they change the story, as it's been the same now for so long, but I'm really hoping that it will remain a bird show.

There's a couple of Guano Joe's that they use, with this guy being the best, IMO

r-1451961720-FlightsOfWonder7.JPG

I absolutely agree, this Guana Joe is the best! We always hope to see him when we're there.
He is my favorite cast member along with this Eric the Historian: :)

eric.jpg

Last edited:

drizgirl

Well, WDW has put out some great entertainment over the last year or two (Hocus Pocus, Friendship Faire, Most Merriest) so hopefully the new show will be just as grand
But I wonder how long the theater will sit empty waiting for something to replace it.

Ripken10

Flights of wonder will always have a special place in my heart. This pic was from this past year when I went with my mother and the owl flew right over her head during the show. Her reaction was priceless for all of us. She passed away this year. For that reason we will sadly miss this show. This image will last a long time

Attachments

• IMG_3142.JPG
    IMG_3142.JPG
    165.8 KB · Views: 187

drizgirl

Flights of wonder will always have a special place in my heart. This pic was from this past year when I went with my mother and the owl flew right over her head during the show. Her reaction was priceless for all of us. She passed away this year. For that reason we will sadly miss this show. This image will last a long time
What an awesome memory. And I'm so sorry for your loss.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom