News Flights of Wonder closing and replaced by 'UP! A Great Bird Adventure'

RSoxNo1

There is a version of the show if Guano Joe's friends are all sick, or a circumstance inhibits their presence. Got it once, and honestly, the show felt like it was missing something. The show lacked a strong guest reaction, and while the presence of Guano Joe and Guest reaction aren't 100% linked. The only way his removal, or a modification of his role, could be justified would be with a serious retooling...
There's a couple of Guano Joe's that they use, with this guy being the best, IMO

r-1451961720-FlightsOfWonder7.JPG

The other main one that I see is this guy, and he's pretty good as well:
r-1421462788-IMG_0900.JPG

Disney-Trains

The first is a 20+ veteran of WDW, he used to play "roman holiday" at Studios with the citizens of holiday.

The second is a veteran of the Adventurers Club.

It should be noted that these are not "clowns" - these are equity actors and quite talented ones at that. I personally feel like the show works great with the guide, and it makes the show truly Disney.

Kman101

Dump the fake tour guide and let the birds star. That show needs nothibg but the birds themselves

A lot of time gets wasted on the fake tour guide. I'd be fine seeing that part go. I guess I can see why they did it, but it doesn't need it (I know others disagree, and I don't hate the fake guide but I would be OK with a retool). As the show stands now, it needs it, but a retooled version I imagine won't have the tour guide. Would be a shame to lose the equity actors if that happens.

Last edited:

No Name

If you haven't seen Sea World's new Orca Encounter, you should skim through it. It is not a circus-style show with stage names like Shamu, instead it's more of an educational thing with their real names. It's more educational and less mindlessly entertaining than the previous shows, which is an unusual trend in the theme park industry, but one that makes sense with the public's increasing increasing respect for Orcas.

I could see Disney going with a replacement that follows a similar vein. I could also see them going the polar opposite direction, adding in studio IP and such. But I hope that manager above isn't bulling, and it's indeed the former.

Last edited:

PeoplemoverTTA

:) I think I've seen the same cast member playing the Tour Guide every time I've seen the show for YEARS. Although last time I went they did the entire show without the tour guide, with the host changing lines so he didn't need to converse with anyone. I'd never seen that before.

I'll also be very sad if this show ends without a comparable replacement.

The last time I saw it, a CM from the Adventurer's Club was the tour guide. I was so excited to point him out to my husband (who hadn't been to WDW when AC was open, sadly). After the show I went up and talked to him for a bit, we shared a "kungaloosh" - not the drink, but verbally, lol - and we got a picture, but I have no idea where it is now. Such a nice guy. I also love that show - it was a favorite for my 13-year old stepson too (and was always my mom's favorite thing to do in AK).

EDIT: Cool, someone posted his picture above. Loved him at AC and enjoyed him in FoW. It's nice to see some of the actors from AC (and Comedy Warehouse) still in WDW.

Last edited:

Rumrunner

This will be a travesty if true. Flights of Wonder is a hidden gem and always a must see anytime myself or my family are at the park.
It was an impressive show and our kids and grandkids enjoyed it immensely. Hate to see it go and wish Disney would at least give us some reason.

UKDisney Dave

For me the whole “tour guide” thing always strikes me as Disney dumbing down - the assumption that guests won’t watch unless there is some comedy to hang the education on. A spoonful of sugar if you like.

But it’s simply not the case. When presented well purely educational/informative shows don’t need comedy to help them. The wonders of the natural world can outshine any comedy shtick from Joe!

Just look at the TV ratings for Sunday evenings in the UK. The new natural history program “Blue Plannet 2” had millions more viewers than X Factor or Stricktly (or Dancing with the stars as I believe you call it in the USA ). Both popular entertainment brands being massively outperformed, with millions more viewers tuning in to see the wonders of the oceans, without David Attenborough feeling the need to carry a little red triangular flag that gets stollen by a fish!!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom