News Flights of Wonder closing and replaced by 'UP! A Great Bird Adventure'

Cmdr_Crimson

Sigh...looks like another equity role bites the dust. See ya real soon Guano Joe
tqSwSX4.jpg

sedati

Before anyone else puts it out there, and begging preemptively for this not to become a term used here:

Disney’s AnIPal Kingdom.

I was sad that in two trips I was never able to catch Flights of Wonder (or Lion King.) I can see plenty of ways this new version could sit comfortably within DAK. We’ll have to wait and see.

fuentesalex

It sounds like I’m going to be in the minority here, but I welcome this change. The show will still be educational and about birds. UP is already integrated in the park with Wilderness Explorers. This may end up as a nice extension of that experience.

Also, the whole tacky tour group guide skit was getting really old. It was funny the first few times. Not so much anymore.

ppete1975

any chance we get a really cool animatronic of dug? even better........ one like lucky the dinosaur?

this is Disney after all.. they make great innovations after all... #onceuponatime #inthepast #lastcentury #whenepcotwas great #beforetheykilleddreamfinder

flyerjab

I am beginning to fear the day they make a princess movie about an African princess. And not because I think that it is a bad idea for an animated film. It would probably make for a great princess movie. Undoubtedly, I now know that it will inevitably lead to said princess setting up shop in Harambe...and that will suck.

I am not against IP integration as others are, but at some point you have to ask ‘REALLY, IS IT REALLY NECESSARY THERE?

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I guess there is a reasonable chance this won't be terrible. I'm not surprised at the update, I guess. In the summer of 2016, there was a bird show at the Brookfield Zoo (Chicago area) that was virtually the same as Flights of Wonder, except that the Guano Joe character didn't have such a name or a backstory -- it was just a naive "trainee" who was still afraid of birds. But the pacing, the bird behaviors, the "surprises" were all the same. So now Disney is adding something to the show that nobody can replicate. I get it -- seems forced, but then again, so did "Guano Joe".

Cmdr_Crimson

I guess there is a reasonable chance this won't be terrible. I'm not surprised at the update, I guess. In the summer of 2016, there was a bird show at the Brookfield Zoo (Chicago area) that was virtually the same as Flights of Wonder, except that the Guano Joe character didn't have such a name or a backstory -- it was just a naive "trainee" who was still afraid of birds. But the pacing, the bird behaviors, the "surprises" were all the same. So now Disney is adding something to the show that nobody can replicate. I get it -- seems forced, but then again, so did "Guano Joe".

It still plays over there during the summer...

Tavernacle12

This seems like it might just be the same general show reimagined? It's a shame to lose it, but right now it seems like it's more of a name change than a content change.

I'm curious how the characters are integrated. I'd assume it's have to be via TVs. I can't imagine them working well as foam heads with the birds (and that'd require a talking Russel head presumably) and animatronics seem too expensive.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom