Flies. Lots of Flies.

ChevisMickey

Then they aren't Black Flies. A Black Fly is incredibly tiny. They can even get through screens and are notorious for flying up your nose or into your mouth if you are a mouth breather. They do bite, but nothing that would require hospitalization. :D But they do swarm in thick groups of thousands, if not millions of bugs and buzz around your head and face, driving you to the verge of insanity. I don't remember seeing them on food though, but, it might just be that I haven't paid any attention to that. Up North they were always a spring time guest. Disney used to employ natural means to keep most of the "bugs" at bay. They would ship in birds or whatever that fed on whatever insect that they were trying to control. Maybe all the predators feel that the little tiny bug isn't worth the effort.

Deer Flies are the worst in the Fly family, in my opinion. They are not as annoying as the rest of the fly species, but, they are capable of biting really hard or in such a way that you don't even feel it. If you know you have been bitten it is helpful, because not long after being bitten the wound starts to itch really bad. If you are not aware that you were bitten, you will unconsciously reach out and scratch the area. When you do, the surrounding area will swell up severely. I even had an eye lid swell up and close my eye because I had been bitten along side my face near my eye and I didn't know it. Hate those little suckers. They are about the same size as a house fly, but when not flying their wings form the shape of a triangle. How's that for a bunch of useless information?:p

Horse flies, yellow flies, deer flies - ALL BAD!

litaljohn

Random luck or possible tip: when I was at studios earlier (like no lines at all btw save for tsmm) it was not an issue..... Until I got near the backlot tour. The quick service place there was rough. That said if you find yourself in a spot like that taking the food away from everyone else will save you, as apparently will wearing lighter clothes. We only stopped for sodas but couldn't have stayed for food in that whole food sitting area. I had a black nylon bag on the table and in less than a minute we counted over 14 flies (just big flies not luv bugs) that all landed on the bag and stayed on it. Picking the bag up was like an evil magic trick putting them all back out for others (sorry the bag had my camera folks, wasn't gunna leave it to save your sloppy joe!)

All that said its definitely not everywhere though. We stopped at the big outside area by Rock N roller coaster ( still not starring bon jovi despite them knowing I would be here today!) and there was no problem at all despite being outside. In fact the quality of the chicken was actually really good.... Almost as good as the frozen margaritas also nearby at a stand.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I wish! They are seriously awesome, but they seem to only like to eat plants and stucco.

ed3e94b352db2770a40ef64478ef60a5.jpg
I wonder how much salt it would take to dissolve one of those? :eek:

JimboJones123

WDW have a massive pest control operation that they run. Notice you rarely see ground based bugs around property? That is not just by chance.

They also spray daily for airborne bugs.
True story. I have lived about 6 months of my life at WDW and have never seen an ant problem. Just off property they are nuts on any crumb that drops.

NEL

I think those snails actually originate in Africa, but you are correct. When it comes to creepy crawly things, we grow em big in Florida.:)
You are correct. That is an African snail. In South Fl we currently have a major problem with these snails bc not only do they eat Stucco , they also carry diseases. It is believed someone brought some in through MIA for some type of weird Afro-Cuban cult thing and they have quickly multiplied. There is currently a very active campaign in Miami Dade to get resident to look for them and report it immediately so the authorities could get them under control.

Hulacat

The good news is that the love bugs don't bite, and they die off quickly. The bad news is that they can "eat" the paint off your car if you let them linger after they are splattered on the car's paint. You can remedy this by misting them with water then wiping them off with bounce(fabric softener) sheets- or just staying inside for all of May and September.
Just trying to be helpful- and we don't have a problem with flies being 1/2 hour away from WDW.

luv

Disney does do a great job with pest control, but they still have the occasional FIRE ANT!!

I mention this not to say anyone is wrong, just to remind people, so you all watch where you're walking. I got zinged by one once on vacation. :)

It is remarkable how few they have, though. :)

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Yes actually it does. Palmetto bugs just fly where ever they want, open doors at night whatever. The difference is Palmetto bugs live outside and really don't want to live in a kitchen the small black ones are most likely German roaches, they live in kitchen and are terrible to try and get rid of. The German if left uncontrolled multiple and will infest a kitchen then move out to the nearest food, garbage, storage location and so on and so forth.

Short answer is this, neither of you should ever eat in a Southern restaurant again they all get bugs in them, every last kitchen. Most places spray once a month or bimonthly and there will always be dead bugs found after the spraying. One of the things you have to watch out for is dead bugs falling down on to things like when you start the hood fan up you may get a body or two fall down on to your plates or something else. Years ago I worked for a hotel and it was my job to field complaints, boy did I hate the Palmetto bug freaking out complaint. Sign right next to there screen door, keep screen shut or local wild life will crawl and fly into your room. Palmetto bugs fly in the rooms because they are attracted to light and will find their way to water which usually means a sink or tub. Always the same thing freaking out women about the Palmetto bug in her bathroom while she stands next to the sign and the completely open screen door. Some of them would move hotels because of the "filthy conditions", not much I could do. Other favorite complaints I heard were the frogs are to loud please turn them down and my all time favorite, the dolphins are making to much noise we want a free night....... First thought was just to slap that person senseless hence why my hotel career was short lived. Only job I could find out of college and I did not like anything involved with working in a hotel.

My in-laws are from Wisconsin. They retired to Fort Myers and they are incredibly clean. My MIL called her son in law, the displaced Floridian, because she had a giant flying roach in the house. She wanted to know what to do. I helpfully recommended killing it or trying to lure it of the house by doing the palmetto bug mating dance which I told her was probably available on youtube. She then yelled at me more and wanted to know if they should spray the house, store all their garbage outside (I'm talking kitchen and bathroom), etc. I told her there really wasn't much to be done.....She had the house sprayed anyway and called me two months later to complain the spraying didn't do the job since she had just seen another one....

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
My in-laws are from Wisconsin. They retired to Fort Myers and they are incredibly clean. My MIL called her son in law, the displaced Floridian, because she had a giant flying roach in the house. She wanted to know what to do. I helpfully recommended killing it or trying to lure it of the house by doing the palmetto bug mating dance which I told her was probably available on youtube. She then yelled at me more and wanted to know if they should spray the house, store all their garbage outside (I'm talking kitchen and bathroom), etc. I told her there really wasn't much to be done.....She had the house sprayed anyway and called me two months later to complain the spraying didn't do the job since she had just seen another one....
The spraying probably just stirred up the already present infestation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom