Flies. Lots of Flies.

Tim_4

My in-laws are from Wisconsin. They retired to Fort Myers and they are incredibly clean. My MIL called her son in law, the displaced Floridian, because she had a giant flying roach in the house. She wanted to know what to do. I helpfully recommended killing it or trying to lure it of the house by doing the palmetto bug mating dance which I told her was probably available on youtube. She then yelled at me more and wanted to know if they should spray the house, store all their garbage outside (I'm talking kitchen and bathroom), etc. I told her there really wasn't much to be done.....She had the house sprayed anyway and called me two months later to complain the spraying didn't do the job since she had just seen another one....
The spraying probably just stirred up the already present infestation.
One big roach at a time is not an infestation in Florida. The big ones are American cockroaches and they don't do well indoors. For the most part, they get in and die. Infestations are usually the smaller German cockroaches. You can be a billionaire with daily cleaning people and the best pest control money can buy and you'll still see a big palmetto every once in awhile.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
One big roach at a time is not an infestation in Florida. The big ones are American cockroaches and they don't do well indoors. For the most part, they get in and die. Infestations are usually the smaller German cockroaches. You can be a billionaire with daily cleaning people and the best pest control money can buy and you'll still see a big palmetto every once in awhile.

Yep, which is why I told her not to worry about it. I failed.....Perhaps, she will eventually get used to it.

luv

My in-laws are from Wisconsin. They retired to Fort Myers and they are incredibly clean. My MIL called her son in law, the displaced Floridian, because she had a giant flying roach in the house. She wanted to know what to do. I helpfully recommended killing it or trying to lure it of the house by doing the palmetto bug mating dance which I told her was probably available on youtube. She then yelled at me more and wanted to know if they should spray the house, store all their garbage outside (I'm talking kitchen and bathroom), etc. I told her there really wasn't much to be done.....She had the house sprayed anyway and called me two months later to complain the spraying didn't do the job since she had just seen another one....
I had palmetto bugs and various other bugs the day I moved into my Florida abode. Called Orkin that night and they came the next morning. They've come once a month since and I have NO bug problems. None. Zip, zero, zilch, nada.

On my worst day, my house is cleaner than most other people's, though. Food is mostly kept in plastic containers with good seals. All food goes down the drain - none in the trash. All containers are well rinsed (sometimes with soapy water) before being thrown away. And the garbage can is outside.

But I seriously have no bugs. On occasion, I will get something small that flies in through a screen or a beetle that zips in when i pay the pizza guy, but NO palmetto bugs, ever!! At all. And I credit Orkin more than me.

Goofyernmost

One big roach at a time is not an infestation in Florida. The big ones are American cockroaches and they don't do well indoors. For the most part, they get in and die.
In North Carolina, I think they call them Yard Beetles. They find every possible way to get inside and before you know it you have a dead bug in your house. We also have household centipedes here too. They are scary looking but harmless and easy to kill, they are not real fast. By the time they get all 100 legs moving, they are history. :)

luv

Well it depends on your lifestyle, I have kids and two dogs so the doors are opened a lot. I have had lizards, tree frogs, a bull frog one time and a bird all loose in the house. Once in a while a palmetto bug, I have literally had a palmetto bug fly by me while I was letting someone in my front door. Not much you can do about that. I do have the house sprayed once a year but I'm not a big fan of monthly treatments, not sure if it's real good for me to be in a house with a fresh coat bug poison every month. I also spray my turf with Bifen twice a year but that is mainly to control ants.
I do have the occasional lizard...or lizard parts. I find a body with no legs or half a lizard or whatever. My cat tortures them by chasing them around and then murders them. I'd forgotten that when I posted, lol. Maybe I blocked it out when posting, as I do get a little disgusted by the things that cat will eat...and finding the butchered corpses of her murderous rampages in my home is an unpleasant business.

You don't need to have Orkin spray inside, if you don't want. They can spray outside. :) I am not suggesting that you SHOULD call he Orkin army! If you don't want them, you don't! Just a little heads up. :)

Cosmic Commando

I wish! They are seriously awesome, but they seem to only like to eat plants and stucco.

ed3e94b352db2770a40ef64478ef60a5.jpg
I love how every article I saw about them said they'll eat your house, eat your plants and give you meningitis... while every picture on Google shows people picking them up. :rolleyes:

dashfixer

Update: Went to guest relations to comment about flies on my food at Pecos Bills. They did not care. They gave me a comment card & said to write a letter.

I visit Florida twice a year and have done so for the last 20 years and I would say you guys have a real common fly infestation problem here, it's a real shame as most insects here never bother anyone but these pesky flies are a real nuisance, and on my last visit to disney it seemed really bad everyone's food was being attacked by flies and mothers were having to take kids out of prams into the hot sun as there were tons of flies in the prams crawling over the kids, spilled drinks made things even worse as there could easily be hundreds of flies in the line of a ride and you had to run through a gauntlet of flies, it makes disney look dirty as these type of flies are dirty insects and should be taken care of, my family won't be back until I hear disneys plan to improve this.

NowInc

I visit Florida twice a year and have done so for the last 20 years and I would say you guys have a real common fly infestation problem here, it's a real shame as most insects here never bother anyone but these pesky flies are a real nuisance, and on my last visit to disney it seemed really bad everyone's food was being attacked by flies and mothers were having to take kids out of prams into the hot sun as there were tons of flies in the prams crawling over the kids, spilled drinks made things even worse as there could easily be hundreds of flies in the line of a ride and you had to run through a gauntlet of flies, it makes disney look dirty as these type of flies are dirty insects and should be taken care of, my family won't be back until I hear disneys plan to improve this.

There isnt much they CAN do. It will go away on its own.

Tigger1988

I'm sure Disney will contact you when they devise a plan to control nature.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom