First Time @ Polynesian

nuroad

This is my first time posting a thread on this board....my family will be going to Disney World in July and staying at the Polynesian. I have visited the Tikiman's site and other sites (orlandorocks.com, etc). This site has been extremely helpful. I wanted to get some feedback on those who have stayed there before.

I appreciate it...thanks!!

SandySHM

I stayed there once about three years ago. It was great, we loved it. The rooms are large. The grounds are beautiful. The best part is the location. The hotel is on the monorail loop and you can walk to the TTC to catch the epcot monorail.

Upvote 0

tecowdw

You'll love it!! The rooms are large, the ambiance is superb and the location is great. It was my first Disney Resort.

In fact, my first adult visit to WDW was back in 1993 and on the way back from the MK on the ferry boat a dream was born. We stayed offsite (in a bug infested Days Inn) like most people because Disney hotels were out of our league (no value resorts back then and we were $30 a night room types anyway).

The sun was just setting and I saw a gentleman sitting on the patio of his Polynesian room (near the TTC) reading the paper. It looked like such a peaceful setting with the sun, the grounds, the white sand beach, the tiki torches burning and the thought of the upper scale of staying there. I vowed to myself that I would stay there someday. One year later I got that chance and it was the best!! I've come to love the place (but not the price so much - it was $190 back then, now over $300).

It also started my addiction with WDW!!
:animwink:

Upvote 0

tigsmom

We stayed there two years ago and were in a building by the TTC... very convenient for the monorail, but not the rest of the resort. The only thing I dislike about this resort is that you have to walk outside to get to the restaurants and shops. Not bad in the nice weather, but it rained just about everyday we were there and my kids got lost coming back from the snackbar at night.

The atmosphere and decor are wonderful, you can watch the MK fireworks from the beach and then watch the Electrical Water Parade from the same spot! The Kona Kafe & 'Ohana have great food and, IMHO, are well worth the money.

Upvote 0

nuroad

Original Poster
Thus far...I am getting very excited about going. Questions:

- Spirit of Aloha Dinner Show...is it worth it? I have been reading some mediocre reviews lately and my family wanted to experience the show...I wanted your opinion...

- Can I take a ferryboat from Poly to MK?

- Are there any transportation buses to Universal? My family wanted to go there for a half-a-day or so.

Thanks

Upvote 0

tigsmom

I haven't been to the new show and nobody in my family is interested in it. Here are some reviews from allearsnet - Click Here

There is a boat from the dock that goes to the Grand Floridian and the MK, but I think the monorail is faster.

As far as I know there are no buses that go to Universal, you would need to take your car or a taxi (and I'm not sure if it would be worth it for half a day).

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
tigsmom said:
There is a boat from the dock that goes to the Grand Floridian and the MK, but I think the monorail is faster.

QUOTE]

Depends upon where you are in the resort. We stayed in the building right next to the dock, so it was faster for us to use the boat to MK. I even let me daughter (around 14 at the time) run over to buy something she had seen earlier at the Emporium while I showered. She was back before I was ready to go out. :lol:

Upvote 0

LpMcQuack

Spirit Of Aloha

Consider it, especially if it's your first time there. Interesting side bar note, my wife and I spoke to the evening shift general manager in the lobby, while waiting for our O'hana dinner time, he mentioned that the Poly was the first hotel built on Disney property edging out the Contemporary Resort by ten minutes.

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
The Poly is one of our favorite resorts. As has been already mentioned, just walking the grounds is an experience, especially in the evening, with all the tiki torches lit, the island music playing, the flowers, trees and beaches...

As was said before, the restaurants are good, it is also an easy walk to Grand Floridian and the spa (located on the Poly side of GF).

I would advise against the Spirit dinner show. It is OK, but an average show and OK meal for the price. Dancing is OK, but I feel diluted from the previous show. The theatrical premise of the show is a bit slow and boring (to my taste) While I consider the food tasty, surveying the area (easy as it is family style seating, kids tend to be iffy about the food sometimes. I would suggest Hoop de Do for a dinner show.

Monorail access and walk to TTA are great. (you can easily head back to your room for a swim or afternoon nap). You can take the general ferry, there are smaller resort shuttle boats, but most of the time, the monorail is most efficient.

Pools are good, watersport access (also GF and Contemporary) are the best in the park.

Upvote 0

polynesiangirl

YAY! A chance to talk about my favorite resort, the Polynesian!!

Seriously, it's WONDERFUL. If you've ever been to Hawaii, you'll be impressed how well they were able to represent it right there in the middle of WDW. If you haven't been to Hawaii, this is a chance to pretend you're there! :)

The smells, sounds, and ambience there is to die for, they have great restaurants and places to kick back and relax. PLUS you've got the unbeatable monorail access RIGHT THERE in the main building. You'll really enjoy this, and you'll find yourself enjoying the MK even more because it is so convienent.

Also, the ability to get to the Contemporary and Grand Floridian is a HUGE perk in my opinion - it's almost like staying at all three hotels because you can go back and forth so easily and check out the other two resorts, walk around their grounds and (I highly recommend) eat at some of their restaurants.

A couple of recommendations: check out the quiet pool, since sometimes during the afternoon the volcano pool can get super busy. If you like frozen tropical alcoholic drinks, (or even if you prefer non-alcoholic,) go to the Tambu Lounge up by 'Ohana and get a drink served to you in a pineapple. They'll put pretty much any drink you want in there (including Coca Cola :lookaroun which I though was odd,) and it's just one of those little things that makes it seem like a real island vacation. They also have some tasty appetizers up there, it makes for a really relaxing evening.

I love every WDW resort I've ever stayed at but for me, there is absolutely no competing with the Polynesian. I hope you'll feel the same once you've stayed there too! :) Happy vacationing! Take good care of the Poly for me since I'll be seeing it a few weeks after you! :p

Upvote 0

ClemsonTigger

Naturally Grumpy
nuroad,
To second what polynesiangirl said, we will be backing up our enjoyment of the Poly by being there in July as well...17th to 20 before our cruise. Possibly see you there (we'll be the ones with the lei's on :animwink: )

Upvote 0

sleepybear

Polynesian is the best! It's just so relaxing and laid back, which is needed after a long day hoofing it in the theme parks. To get the most out of your experience, you should take some moments to enjoy the atmosphere there. On my last stay there, I had a room with a balcony and lagoon view. One morning, I sat out on the balcony reading the paper and drinking coffee as the Mickey Mouse recording that announces that the Magic Kingdom is officially open echoed across the lagoon. Hands down, probably the best way I've ever started my day.

And you MUST have Tonga Toast!

Upvote 0

Polyman

I agree with everyone above. However, be warned. If you like to sleep, you won't get much of it there. The walls are PAPER thin. Can hear everything that goes on next door. We like to get up early and make a full day of it, but waking up everyday at 5:00am because of the noise next door is just a little too early. Thank goodness we were only there for 2 nights. We were able to recover during the rest of our stay which was at Old Key West. :brick: :(

Upvote 0

ralz28

I loved the PR. You will have an excellent trip. My advise is one night, walk to the beach and watch the fireworks at the magic kingdom. From there you can even see tinkerbelle take her flight and hear all the music.

Enjoy! :sohappy: :p :lol: :wave:

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
So far everyone’s advice has been right on I was just going to add 1 thing. If you are into coffee the Kona Café has a 100% Kona coffee from Hawaii that is slap your grandmamma down good.

Upvote 0

nuroad

Original Poster
Thank You!

I want to thank each of you for your comments! I appreciate your input about the Polynesian resort. My family will be staying there from July 9-16. I am looking forward to the trip and because of your comments, I am extremely excited. We just reserved at Ohana's, Boma's, Fulton's and ordered great tickets for the La Nouba show....

Those that have been, how is that show? I have heard only great things!

Thanks again...look forward to more comments!!!

Upvote 0

RICK8868

The show is great! Saw it in 99 and just ordered tickets for the 29th of June. This trip will be my wife's and I first stay at the Poly and we are so excitied about it. Last year we stayed at the Beach Club and loved every minute of it. But we wanted a different experience and the Poly looks like the one that will deliver.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

RICK8868 said:
The show is great! Saw it in 99 and just ordered tickets for the 29th of June. This trip will be my wife's and I first stay at the Poly and we are so excitied about it. Last year we stayed at the Beach Club and loved every minute of it. But we wanted a different experience and the Poly looks like the one that will deliver.

The show you saw in '99 is not the Spirit of Aloha Show. It was changed last year. Many people find it lacking.

Upvote 0

lawyergirl77

tigsmom said:
The show you saw in '99 is not the Spirit of Aloha Show. It was changed last year. Many people find it lacking.
I agree. I miss the more authentic show that the Poly used to have. Now with that stupid "auntie" plotline that they have, it's a very irritating show... until the dancing starts (after dinner). Then it's absolutely fantastic! Bottom line - worth seeing once, but don't cry if you miss it.

However, I do believe that your latest question involved La Nouba... In a word: magical. And that's pretty impressive in the place where Magic lives!!! Well worth the admission, and I'm thrilled that you were able to get good tickets.

I have stayed at the WL and at the Poly (and hopefully very soon at the AKL), but the Poly will always have a special place in my heart. It truly is wonderful, but it has unfortunately priced itself out of my range given all of its refurbs (which may have gotten rid of the noise problem that a poster was referring to - I've never had that problem!)

And as for your question about boat service, I used to take it every single time I went to the MK! It really is a nice trip over, especially if you're staying in any of the longhouses that are closer to the water than to the main building (the Great Ceremonial House).

*sigh* I love the Poly. While I have gotten used to the other resorts and I do like them a lot, it really is the place that feels most like "home" to me when I go to WDW!

Upvote 0

dandaman

Spirit of Aloha is a great luau and dinner theatre in general (mmmmmmmmm, pineapple bread :)). Good atmosphere, interactive, great service, and overall the best dinner theatre in WDW, IMO (so many abbreviations... :lol: )

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom