First time at Christmas!!!

Ravenclaw87

So, my best friend and I randomly decided to go to Disney World December 14-19. This will be my first time in four years without the DBF and my first time going at Christmastime!

So, what should I expect? Crowd levels? Weather? What amazing Christmas things do I need to see besides the castle and the Osborne lights?

I am -so- excited I can hardly contain myself!

docnabox

Christmas is a great time to go to WDW and I have done it many times although it has been several years since we have done so, so some of my comments might not be relevent. A trip that time of year combines my two great loves...Christmas and Disney all into one!

All the parks are decorated beautifully. We typically went the week right after Thanksgiving and crowds were minimal then with walk ons for just about everything. IT might be different these days and for the dates you specified. Temps ranged from highs in the 80's and low's in the 60's a couple of years to highs in the 50's and low's in the 30's another. Let me tell you that that was one chilly night seeing Illuminations with a breeze off the WS lagoon!

The thing I think most everyone will recommend is of course, MVMCP. A hard ticket event and truly a lot of fun. I am sure there are many that can give you more up to date descriptions than I.

Don't forget about the Candlelight Processional at Epcot, if you can still get tickets. Truly wonderful. And I am not sure if they do this any longer and think I read somewhere that they don't, but we saw the tree lighting ceremonies at some of the parks each night. There was one at the Studios with the streetmosphere characters that was a lot of fun.

One of the saddest things to me is that they no longer have the Jolly Holidays Dinner Show at the Contemporary Resort. We went many years to see that and had a ball every time. It was a dinner show with Turkey, dressing, ham, sweet potatoes etc....and a story of Christmas events with the characters, dancers etc. Much of it was repeated on the Castle stage at MVMCP but the show was always a sellout so I am not really sure why they stopped. As an aside, I just recently bought a machine that allowed me to transfer tape video to DVD and watched the show that I taped when we took my Dad with us, the year before he died. He LOVED Christmas and this was right up his alley...sniff.

One last thing, if you have some time or if you want to make some dining reservations outside of the parks, make sure you visit some of the resorts. Each is distinct and themed to the resort and some are quite lovely.

Have a great time! You will LOVE it! I am sure there are many that will be able to help you out with more up to date info and correct any of my inaccuracies. :xmas:

Upvote 0

mmexpress

First: get you and your freind tickets to Mickey's very Merry Christmas Party for one of the nights.

Holidays around the world, at EPCOT.

Be sure to go around to other resorts and check out the decorations.

Upvote 0

heartodisney

picture.php

YES! Do all the resorts for decorations, you will not be disapointed! The MK Christmas Parade is a must, two parades a night, do the second, go around for some rides and other characters and cookies! Park yourself somewhere and be sure to "bundle up" for the snowfall! Watch the top floor windows open for music and close when parade is finished! You will have a GREAT time!

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
So, my best friend and I randomly decided to go to Disney World December 14-19. This will be my first time in four years without the DBF and my first time going at Christmastime!

So, what should I expect? Crowd levels? Weather? What amazing Christmas things do I need to see besides the castle and the Osborne lights?

There is so much to see at the World! Definitely hit the resorts - WL, AK, GF, Poly, BC/YC, Contemporary - a lot of them have special chocolate or gingerbread displays. Also, they are decked out in garland and trees and lights. Epcot has Christmas around the world - each country has a story teller and decorations about that country. As for crowd levels, we went the week before Christmas. We were there from the 16 to the 23. When we first got there, the crowds were light. After the 21st, it really started to pick up. So you should be okay. You'll be there before school gets out and Christmas rush hits. Its one of the best times to go!!!

Upvote 0

Lisalyn

Have a blast!

I love Disney World at the Holidays! I go over Thanksgiving but soak in several of the resorts due to their decorations...specifically The Grand Floridian because of the mammoth tree inside that is beautifully decorated AND the bigger then life Gingerbread house - it's awesome!

Osborne Family Lights is a MUST, especially if you like getting snowed on lol :ROFLOL:And as somebody above mentioned, the Christmas parades in MK...spectacular!

Upvote 0

Theresonly1

You have to have tickets for the Candlelight Processional??? How do you get those, I knew they had a dinner combo, but can't you just go without it????:veryconfu This is my first Christmas too, and i am very excited!! 70 Days :sohappy::xmas::sohappy::xmas::sohappy:

Upvote 0

Lisalyn

Candlelight Processional

No I don't think you need tickets unless you buy the dinner package...I'm quite sure that is what my sis told me. :shrug:

Upvote 0
You have to have tickets for the Candlelight Processional??? How do you get those, I knew they had a dinner combo, but can't you just go without it????:veryconfu This is my first Christmas too, and i am very excited!! 70 Days :sohappy::xmas::sohappy::xmas::sohappy:

No, you can watch it w/o tickets. We watched it last year w/o tickets. The tickets are for the dinner package/preferred seating. :)

Upvote 0

Just an FYI, The narrators for the candlelight processional for your stay are:

• 12/12 - 12/14: Vanessa Williams
  • 12/15 - 12/17: Abigail Breslin
  • 12/18 - 12/20: Whoopi Goldberg

If that makes any difference to you. Also Epcot has their EMH's on Friday the 18th.

We are going this same week, so I have looked up everything lol

Upvote 0

Ravenclaw87

Original Poster
Oohh yes, I hope we have time for the resorts, too. I'm actually getting there about 12 hours before she is, so it's also going to be my first time with some solo-time in the parks. It should be an interesting trip, to say the least.

We're going to the Christmas party and I assume we'll see the Processional, but we didn't bother with the tickets. I'm sure we'll have to wait, but that's fine.

And thank you all for the suggestions!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom