First the napkins, now the cups?

Status
Not open for further replies.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Really?? Smh. I love Disney and I could care less what's on the cups or napkins. I guess I'm in the minority. Why go looking for something to complain about?
Why let them get away with nickle and dimeing us out of every little thing that make WDW magical while constantly raising prices? It's not really about the napkins or the cups...it's about the whole experience that they are constantly whittling down.

Goofnut1980

One simple question, Why is everyone so upset about a plate and a napkin? Do you save them every time you eat? Doubtful...
Plus TDO has a contract with Coke, and I know that companies (large or small) that do an exclusive contact with Coke either get their cups for free or pay a small fee and they will customize the cup to your liking.

But seriously, there are many more things in this world to worry about than a printed cup or napkin. Can we just move on. The negativity gets old. Just be happy you are at Disney!

Secondly, If they can cut the cost by a few million dollars a year, don't you think the moneys can be allocated for the future expansions/renovations. Personally if you save a few million and are going to add something to the parks by cutting out printed plates, then why not? jmo

ParentsOf4

One simple question, Why is everyone so upset about a plate and a napkin? Do you save them every time you eat? Doubtful...
Plus TDO has a contract with Coke, and I know that companies (large or small) that do an exclusive contact with Coke either get their cups for free or pay a small fee and they will customize the cup to your liking.

But seriously, there are many more things in this world to worry about than a printed cup or napkin. Can we just move on. The negativity gets old. Just be happy you are at Disney!
I suggest you go back and read some of the earlier posts.

Would you be OK if WDW got rid of the Welcome to WDW sign? It's just a sign.

Would you be OK if WDW used plain white buses? They are just buses.

Would you be OK if WDW got rid of the meet-and-greets? They're just a bunch of adults dressed up in costumes.

And yes, my children save the napkins, and the cups, and the bags, and ...

And it's wonderful as a parent to see them derive so much genuine joy from something so simple. As a parent, it's everything you hope your child will be, to learn to appreciate all the little things in life.

Goofnut1980

I suggest you go back and read some of the earlier posts.

Would you be OK if WDW got rid of the Welcome to WDW sign? It's just a sign.

Would you be OK if WDW used plain white buses? They are just buses.

Would you be OK if WDW got rid of the meet-and-greets? They're just a bunch of adults dressed up in costumes.

And yes, my children save the napkins, and the cups, and the bags, and ...

And it's wonderful as a parent to see them derive so much genuine joy from something so simple. As a parent, it's everything you hope your child will be, to learn to appreciate all the little things in life.

It's still a plate and a napkin, so you mean to tell me every meal you eat at Disney you save the dirty plate or napkin. Doubtful. And yes, it is just a Bus, Sign, Meet and Greet (that are not like they used to be)
If you don't like Disneys decisions, then don't go. It is not a mandatory vacation spot.

Goofnut1980

And it's that attitude that makes things the way they are today.

It's not ment to come across as an attitude, I am simply stating how everyone around here moans and groans over every tiny little things that change. Good lord, just enjoy Disney. Why does everyone complain so much. It gets old. No one comes on here and says, holy moly, they swept the streets and the park looks great. It turns into, well there was one lightbulb burnt out on this one sign, and I can't believe how Disney is slipping. I bet 95% of those people complaining, probably have christmas lights burnt out and don't repair them... Just stating observations.

ParentsOf4

It's still a plate and a napkin, so you mean to tell me every meal you eat at Disney you save the dirty plate or napkin. Doubtful. And yes, it is just a Bus, Sign, Meet and Greet (that are not like they used to be)
If you don't like Disneys decisions, then don't go. It is not a mandatory vacation spot.
And I suggest that if you don't like what people are going to post, you don't read it. Certainly don't respond to it so annoying people like me can bother you even more.

And if you had taken the time to read some of the earlier posts, this one might have helped you understand what my children do:
http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/first-the-napkins-now-the-cups.846265/page-10#post-5104247

captainkidd

It's not ment to come across as an attitude, I am simply stating how everyone around here moans and groans over every tiny little things that change. Good lord, just enjoy Disney. Why does everyone complain so much. It gets old. No one comes on here and says, holy moly, they swept the streets and the park looks great. It turns into, well there was one lightbulb burnt out on this one sign, and I can't believe how Disney is slipping. I bet 95% of those people complaining, probably have christmas lights burnt out and don't repair them... Just stating observations.

There are plenty of threads on here where people praise Disney. I don't know how many times this needs repeating - The reason why the bad things are brought up is because most of us are used to so much more from Disney. No one said they don't enjoy Disney. And why would anyone mention the streets being swept? Shouldn't they be? With an average of 45,000 people a day walking through the turnstiles of the Magic Kingdom at $100 per pop, I should hope the streets would be swept.

alphac2005

My DS (now 16) likes the maps the best. Even now he's got a few lying about in his room. On the other hand, my DD's think the maps are too functional, think they lack a certain artistic simplistically. They much prefer some of the more mundane food items. Napkins were nice when they had different ones for each restaurant. For some reason, they obsessed over a tinfoil package with Mickey Mouse that they got a hot dog in. I remember making them throw out the one with mustard on it and going back up to get a couple of unused ones. They really like those tiny Mickey shaped metallic things they throw around during the parades, kind of like pixie dust. We've got lots of those over the years. I'll be really bummed if those disappear.

They never were big fans of the free stickers. To them it seemed forced. They always enjoyed finding things, not having them simply handed to them.

We definitely have collected a bunch of WDW paper cups over the years. It's amazing how all these simple free things seem to have more meaning than the things we purchased. By searching for these little hidden treasures, they've become more significant to us whereas as all the purchased merchandise seems so artificial.

Here's another example: When I was a kid, whether it was going down to Walt Disney World and coming home with soap with Mickey's head or a cup, if it was going to Disneyland and bringing back a Disneyland Hotel napkin, I would cherish those little inane things. I'd have them in the bathroom and it would get me excited about the "next time" going to Disney. It might seem like something so miniscule to some people, but there is an important business component here, it made me want to go back and visit even more as I associated the parks with so much fun and enjoyment. Almost every day, just looking at one of those things quickly, made me forget about the freezing winter and that I'd be back to see Disney and the sun.

When you constantly cut back on the small things that get a young consumer loyal unlike nearly any other company, you end up with future generations that are way less loyal to your product because they never had the opportunity to be hooked in special, little ways. The fact is that Disney produces things (such as cups, napkins, etc.) in such massive volumes that the cost difference per unit is incredibly tiny. Yes, there can be some small bottom line number padding by cutting back every little thing, but do you do that at the expense of brand loyalty? More importantly, the prices have skyrocketed at rates blowing by inflation, so they're lining their pockets on both ends. If they cut these little things because they were in the red or in danger of being raided corporately, that would be another story, but we're on the opposite end of the spectrum, a company bringing in record profits in a long-term slow growth economy.

John

Sir, Have you even read the many post that explain why the cups and napkins are important? IT DOSNT HAVE ANYTHING TO DO WITH THE ITEMS BEING CUPS AND NAPKINS! Its the fact that it is another detail lost in the experience. Most of the people who are complaining about the cups and napkins realize that that they are "just cups and napkins" What we are lamenting is that the experience ....the whole immersive experience has been diminished. No ones vacation is ruined, We just see it as another sign of details being lost. You couldnt care less. We get it. You have less expectations then some others....thats ok. Others want to hold Disney to a standard that they pride themselves on....or once did.

These details are what made Disney parks what they are today....the most popular vacation destination in the world. Disney built the parks on these details such as cups, napkins, lightbulbs etc. and the manitence. These things have eroded over the time. Can you still have a great time at the parks? Sure, but it no longer goes above and beyond any standard. You accept a lesser product....and that is ok too. We dont. There are some who say ...."well dont go if you dont like it" and that is what a lot of us are doing. I think Disney may have heard those feet walking. All of the sudden there is talk about major expansion ( that said, I am not buying that either.....nothing has been announced and not one shovel of dirt moved). My next trip will have a three year gap between my last trip ( after 14 yrs of going every year).Was it because of a cup or a napkin? In of itself....no but what it represents in the BIG PICTURE.....yes.

fosse76

My theory remains that people who don't think such things are important can't really afford WDW so think these cuts coupled with the constant discounting will allow them continue to go..,
I have a premiere Passport. Visited Disneyland twice this year, am headed to Disney World next month, and back to Disneyland in December. I could care less what's on the napkins or cups. And for the record, this is the first time I have gone more than three months without visiting Disney World (in fact, I haven't been there since last December, excluding the day trip I took on Memorial Day). It also excludes weekend trips I have taken to Universal. And I live in New York. So don't tell me I can't "really afford to go."

fosse76

Class envy... it's a fad that I hope goes away soon.
It's not class envy, and people who claim that are either rich themselves or just have no intelligence. I could care less about someone earning $13,000,000 a year. It's that they are earning that money at the expense of others. How many companies have had massive layoffs only to outsource that work? Guess what? The costs of production decreased, yet consumer prices still increased. It's greed and nothing more. Go to a movie theater. Sizes for beverages and popcorn decreased, yet prices increased. Popcorn and soda itself didn't suddenly get more expensive. It's one thing when this is done at a company that isn't profitable, or is on the verge of collapse with executives who aren't making a lot of money. It's competely different when it's a company with billions in profits.

fosse76

Bob Iger is doing an excellent job. The company recorded its largest quarterly earnings in history with revenue at $11.1 billion. So yes he is worth that much in my opinion.

So what's the justification for price increases. And don't say "because people will pay it." If that were true, WDW wouldn't be hemmoraging guests to Universal that's keeping there attendance flat. And let's be real. Iger isn't making that money for the company. Decisions he makes allow others in the company to make it, while he gets the credit. If I run a bus company, make a million dollars my first year, decide to cut maintanance, staff, and increase fares to make a $1.5 million profit the second year, that doesn't mean I'm doing an excellent job.

WDWFanDave

It's perfectly fine that you don't care about the napkins or cups. I don't care about the meet-and-greets. I have no desire to stand in a line just to get a photo with a grown adult dressed like a cartoon character. But I would never suggest that I'm fine with getting rid of them even though, to me, they are a waste of Disney money and I don't like them. Unfortunately, there have been too many posts earlier on this thread (and the napkin thread) that have said, in effect, "Since I personally don't care about it then it's OK to get rid of it and all of you are stupid for liking it." (draybook, please don't think I'm suggesting you're one of them.)

The point I'm trying to make is that each of us has something special, something different that we like about WDW. And when WDW takes it away without replacing it with something comparable, the entire WDW experience is diminished.

I couldn't agree more :)

tomman710

So what's the justification for price increases. And don't say "because people will pay it." If that were true, WDW wouldn't be hemmoraging guests to Universal that's keeping there attendance flat. And let's be real. Iger isn't making that money for the company. Decisions he makes allow others in the company to make it, while he gets the credit. If I run a bus company, make a million dollars my first year, decide to cut maintanance, staff, and increase fares to make a $1.5 million profit the second year, that doesn't mean I'm doing an excellent job.

Exactly. Iger has moved the company through the recession ... but without long term plans in place for one of its major assets WDW. Alan Horn is a good hire for the films, Lasseter is doing great for animation and DL. Marvel was a great get ... but sort of a no brainer with all the work pretty much done for their global appeal.

But in terms of one of their largest assets they have been extremely short sighted. In fact, again to use the analogy I used before about changing the oil in your car. Money was tight, so he stretched out changing the oil, used inferior oils when he absolutely had to, and basically never spent the money to change the oil properly and on time ... sure he saved money and the car kept running but slowly he has done irreparable damage to the engine to where its going to cost more to replace or repair the engine than it would have been to just change the oil with the right kind of oil at the right time.

So yes, profits are up, the numbers look good but it was at the expense of the future. Now they are going to have to invest so much into the parks to bring them back up (and no there is no argument against it, EPCOT and DHS need work) that it would have been more cost efficient to spread that out. But what does Iggy care ... he'll be gone by 2015 ...

So napkins, cups, plates, hats, lights of winter ... sure those things don't matter by themselves but the big picture is that those cost savings devices WERE NOT USED to better the parks, they weren't and they should have been. No one would complain about cups or napkins or whatever if they money was reinvested into the parks by way of upkeep, maintenance, attractions, etc ... but they were not.

P.S. I say this without an inch of hyperbole and with the kind of brash confidence that is stereotypical of executive level positions but I have more education and executive level experience than Iger did when he took over as CEO and flat out I'd do a better job. There I said it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom