First Ride Ever?

Preacher Gravy

My wife and I are leaving Oct. 6th for our first trip. We arrive in Orlando and are taking DME to our hotel (Wilderness Lodge). We plan on taking the boat to the Magic Kingdom that day (mid afternoon) and spending the day there. So the question is, what should our first ride ever at Disney be? I want something that screams 'Disney!' suggestions?

Philo

My first ride ever a Disney was Space Mountain in DLP - a great ride but perhaps not the most 'Disney' ride, my first ever at WDW was the Kilimanjaro safari - now that's a great ride.

With a little more experience, I would say try out Pirates, Big thunder Mountain Railroad or even TTA - not that exciting but to me it's very Disney and a good way to see what is on offer around the park (or at least around Tomorrow Land...). It's not like you will need to wait to ride it either!

Upvote 0

MattyFresh

How about this thought.....do you have a favorite Disney movie that is also an attraction?? Why not go that route, say if your a big fan of the Pirates trilogy then do PoTC.....just an idea, that way I think it would maximize that exciting Disney effect.

Upvote 0

Preacher Gravy

Original Poster
Here's the Finalist for our first ride ever!

Haunted Mansion - Might want to wait until dark just to make it cooler
Splash Mountain - Sounds as though this would be a good one, and we really don't mind a wait
POTC - We liked the movies okay, will we really like the ride?
Train - The only downer with it is that I feel like I might want to jump off at some point to run to a ride. . . . .

Decisions :shrug: Decisions :shrug:

This time next week we will be headed towards Epcot!!!!:ROFLOL::ROFLOL::ROFLOL:

Upvote 0

themerebear6453

Dumbo

I think the first ride of any visit should always be Dumbo. Its right in the middle of Fantasyland with a beautiful view of the castle and it gives you the whole childlike feel of Disney. Plus if you don't get to this one first there's a good chance the lines will be too long the rest of the day. But I always go in July so the crowd is probably much smaller now.

Upvote 0

Laura

Premium Member
The ones that scream Disney to me are Pirates and Haunted Mansion. The best attraction EVER in Magic Kingdom is Splash Mountain.

I would skip the "sentimental" stuff at first like Small World, Dumbo, etc. because the thrill of those is usually found with people who have been going to Disney their whole lives. I think a first timer would come off Small World saying "what the eff was that?" LOL

Upvote 0

Laura

Premium Member
Definitely don't ride the train first. It's not like typical train rides where you get a view of the whole park. It's a view of a wall of trees 90% of the ride.

Upvote 0

eroyee

Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean. take your time since its your first visit and soak up the atmosphere. Its amazing........Wilderness Lodge is a perfect choice for a resort. You will love it.

Upvote 0

gettingsmaller

Boy, there are so many good choices and possibilities...
Splash Mt. is a definite "must-ride", but it may be "dangerous" to use it for setting expectations.

The things I'd offer up are:
Peter Pan/Winnie the Pooh - well done, easy rides. If you are familiar with the movies/characters, the rides will be very "familiar" and will definitely tell you that you are at DIS.

Jungle Cruise - nobody has offered this, and I can see reasons why (needs updating, lines can be long, experience depends on your 'skipper', etc.). However, the queue is cute, with the different elements about missing expeditions, and the "expectation" that it might set won't be difficult to exceed with other rides. Still, despite cheesy jokes and some of the oldest "animatronics" known to man, it is very "Disney".

The potential problem with all three is the possibilty of long lines. I think Peter Pan is awesome. Unless you're a big Pooh fan, Pooh is not worth a LONG wait, but it SHOULD be enjoyed with a fastpass or 15-20 minute line at some point. Of course, that depends on your personality and what you enjoy...

Philharmagic is great, too. Good thing about it is that you will probably not have a long wait outside. In less busy times, I'd guess that the theater accomodates all the people who are in line (though some people here surely know better than I). If you're going to WDW, I'm guessing that you (or significant other) have SOME exposure to Disney and probably have favorite characters, etc.. Philharmagic seems to run through most of the popular pre-Pixar characters, and you're bound to see your favorite at some point.

I'm being long-winded, but I'd say that the first ride depends on how you want to approach it. If you want one of the best (and longest) rides Disney has to offer, Splash Mt. would be my choice. If you want to start at a very-Disney-but-a-little-dated ride, Jungle Cruise fits the bill. If you want somewhere in the middle, Philharmagic, Peter Pan, or Winnie the Pooh would be good. I guess Small World is right there with Peter and Winnie. It's VERY Disney (what Disney reference can you see outside of Disney itself that doesn't say something about it?), and probably sets a sort of "medium" expectation for future rides.

Upvote 0

CBug88

I would say Space Mountain (be sure to ride this at least once during your trip I as believe it is going down for refurb in Jan 09), The Haunted Manison or Pirates of the Caribbean. All will give you that "Disney" feeling.

Be sure to also enjoy all the details- take it slow and have a look around. Details are what makes Disney so unique. Have a wonderful time and be sure to share which attraction is your first!!:wave:

Upvote 0

bjunderwood

If you are torn between Splash Mountain and the train, you can do what my family always does first- ride the train to Splash Mountain.

Also, if it is raining, you have something else to consider. Evryone flocks to Tomorrowland and Fantasyland when it rains. I suggest going to Adventureland and hitting the Jungle Cruise and Pirates of the Caribbean. The west side of the park is fairly empty when it rains, so these are two attractions with longer wait times that you should be able to get on fairly quickly.

Upvote 0
Definitely Slash Mountain. Im trying to make it my first attraction everytime we go down. Love it. Honorable mention would be Haunted Mansion and PotC. If at Epcot, SSE!

Upvote 0

Tiggerfanatic

Another vote for the train. It's right there at the entrance, take it all the way around the park, then start up Main Street towards the castle. Have a tissue handy - I can guarantee you'll need it! And don't hurry - take your time and savor the wonder and magic of being at Disney!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom