First Homicide in Celebration Reported

devoy1701

While not a huge fan of the HOA in my neighborhood, I do respect the efforts they take to keep our neighborhood looking respectable, thus maintaining the overall proterty values as much as they can. Sometimes they are onerous to deal with, but for the most part they're also pretty effective.

And the last time I checked, their enforcement ended at my front door. So the color of curtains I select really isn't a problem for them.....

agreed. That would be some pretty strict HOA rules.

Can't believe this actually made our local newspaper.

The homicide made your local paper in Texas?!

DABIGCHEEZ

We're browsing around for a new house right now, prefereably in the country because I like my privacy and my ability to do as I please without busybody neighbors sticking their nose in. If we do end up in the city limits in a nice subdivision (which is the only way I would want to live in town, as I don't want to live right in the middle of town), I intend to make sure it is not part of some homeowner's association. The way I feel about it, is it is MY house. I don't want some snooty rich snob coming up to my door telling me that my curtains are the wrong color, or my house is painted the wrong color, or whatever. It is my house and if you don't like the way my house looks, that's just too bad.

I agree with you on this. Thankfully I have no HOA to deal with in my development. Also I am pretty sure they can not enforce any of their rules inside my house. But as far as painting my house lime green with purple shutters(not that I would ever do this... but maybe a nice neon orange) and having a stockade fence instead of a split-rail, my neighbors will have to look away as they drive by my house if it bothers them that much. Don't get me started with the things I hear about HOAs banning flag flying and holiday decorating. HOAs are just certain people on power trips...IMO of course.

sbkline

Can't believe this actually made our local newspaper.

The homicide made your local paper in Texas?!

It made the AJC here in Atlanta as well. Of course, "Disney" was strewn all over the article.......

[/B]

It was in a national paper in England today! Just a small article in the corner, nothing major. Thats where I first heard the sad news.:(

Here we go again with the anti-Disney conspiracy theories just because this murder made the news in faraway places.

I've said it before many times and I'll say it again; the more well known a place is, or a person as the case may be, the more newsworthy something is pertaining to that place. For example, if I got my lip busted playing basketball, no one would care except my family and it would not even make the local paper. However, President Obama recently had to have stiches on his lip because he got elbowed during a basketball game, and that made the news. Why? Because he's the President; a world famous person, a big wheel. Me? I'm not even a spoke. I'm not even a glob of tar on the tire. I'm a nobody, so my injury would not make the news. Same with this story. Sure, murders happen all the time, but when it happens in a picturesque community created by Disney, and has never had a homicide before, of course it is going to make the news accross the country. No anti-Disney bias involved. No attempt to destroy them in the media or to blame them in any way. Simply reporting a tragic story that is connected with a well known tourist destination.

devoy1701

Here we go again with the anti-Disney conspiracy theories just because this murder made the news in faraway places.

I've said it before many times and I'll say it again; the more well known a place is, or a person as the case may be, the more newsworthy something is pertaining to that place. For example, if I got my lip busted playing basketball, no one would care except my family and it would not even make the local paper. However, President Obama recently had to have stiches on his lip because he got elbowed during a basketball game, and that made the news. Why? Because he's the President; a world famous person, a big wheel. Me? I'm not even a spoke. I'm not even a glob of tar on the tire. I'm a nobody, so my injury would not make the news. Same with this story. Sure, murders happen all the time, but when it happens in a picturesque community created by Disney, and has never had a homicide before, of course it is going to make the news accross the country. No anti-Disney bias involved. No attempt to destroy them in the media or to blame them in any way. Simply reporting a tragic story that is connected with a well known tourist destination.

Oh I applaud your deeper understanding of the way the media machine works. :rolleyes:

Nothing in any of our posts (save maybe wm49rs...maybe) seemed to claim or say anything regarding bashing Disney. In fact my question was only because I had not seen anything on my local news about it here in Tampa and I watch the local news every morning as I get ready for work.

You may go back to searching for your country home and bashing HOAs now... :wave:

Wilt Dasney

Once the story hit national outlets like CNN, it was bound to start showing up everywhere. It is a story with some non-local interest.

thelookingglass

Nobody said "conspiracy", but you're naive if you don't think the parasitic media doesn't latch on to any bad news related to Disney and exploit it for the sole purpose of getting more ratings. These days, Celebration has little to nothing to do with Disney, but of course all the headlines read "DISNEY created town sees MURDER!"

I'm surprised they didn't mention the monorail accident in this. (only half-joking)

dave&di

Excuse me but when I posted that I read about it in an English newspaper I did not realise I was becoming 'anti-disney' !!!! I simply replied to someones shock that the news was in a Texan newspaper! I love Disney more than life itself, How did my comment imply I'm 'anti-disney' I have no interest in conspiracy theories, I find them pointless. Chill out! Don't attack people for no reason, we are supposed to have a common interest.:mad:

dave&di

^ No, he was saying that you and the other posters think there is an anti-Disney conspiracy in the media.

I have no opinion on Conspiracy theories, I live in the UK so the 'Anti Disney' thing doesn't happen here. I do not know how the American Media work or their opinions on Disney and I wish to make no comment on it, I was simply replying to a post on the story being in local newspapers.
BTW the newspaper column in the English paper was about 15 words long in the corner of a page simply stating the 1st murder in a small town near WDW, nothing about it 'anti disney', I live in a small un famous town, a while ago 2 people got run over by a train near where I live, it made the same paper, small column in the corner! WHY DOES THE MEDIA WANT TO DESTROY MY TOWN!!! PANIC! Enough already! Did Mickey Mouse make someone kill someone else! I don't see how Disney can be blamed which is why I don't do conspiracy theories! Leave me out of it now please.

DABIGCHEEZ

I also think the anti-disney thing was directed at the media and not at you dave&di.

Some folks on here seem to be permanently intoxicated by pixie dust and whenever the DISNEY name is used in a negative story(even as a fact such as a DISNEY-created town), it is always...oh there they go again blaming our beloved DISNEY!

Enchantâmes

I remember one day the Monorail was shut down due to technical difficulties and my local news station in Omaha Nebraska reported it... :brick:

RonAnnArbor

Not for nothing, this story is everywhere -- USA Today had a big long article on it today too...expect it to be on all the national news channels tonight.

As to the media, WDW and Orlando have horrible media relations. They spend a fortune to try to keep positive news coming out of the parks, but there are Orlando residents that literally sit glued to their community police blotters just waiting for Disney-related problems to come across the public-knowledge news channels/EMS dispatches/police blotters and they positively gloat when something negative happens and pride themselves on being the first to share the bad news. You can even review all of the union grievances which are public domain.

This has been going on down there since they first bought up the land and created their own "city"...and it's not going to stop today.

Is it right? No. Is it their right? Yes. All of us here love Disney...but that is not so for many of the residents of Orlando.

sbkline

I also think the anti-disney thing was directed at the media and not at you dave&di.

That's correct. I was not accusing anyone here of being anti-Disney. I was accusing (although, perhaps incorrectly) people here of thinking that the media must have an ax to grind against Disney anytime they report a news story of something bad happening there.

Some folks on here seem to be permanently intoxicated by pixie dust and whenever the DISNEY name is used in a negative story(even as a fact such as a DISNEY-created town), it is always...oh there they go again blaming our beloved DISNEY!

Exactly. That was the point I was trying to make. I have hung around this site for a few years now, and I have noticed a trend that, with many posters, they think there is some sinister anti-Disney conspiracy among the media to accuse Disney of anything bad that happens on their property. In their minds, the mere reporting of these events means that the media is somehow implying that it is Disney's fault. Some of these people are such die hard loyal fanboys that they seem to see themselves as personal victims of a media conspiracy against Disney, because their whole identity is wrapped up in WDW. So now, naturally, anytime I see anyone express any kind of surprise at such a story being reported as far away as Texas, England, etc, I am biased to assume that they are jumping on the "the media is out to get us" bandwagon. But in this case, perhaps I wrongfully jumped to that conclusion and assumed that some of you were doing just that when, in reality, you were simply surprised to see that story appearing so far away in your local media. If that is the case, then I apologize and stand corrected.

jakeman

This thread is interesting...

Not so much because of the anti-Disney media conspiracy folks in the thread, of which there seem to be exactly zero, but because of the number of folks seemingly waiting for the anti-Disney media conspiracy folks to say something.

:rolleyes:

westie

I just read about a second death in Celebration-

Authorities were investigating another death Friday in the town Disney built just days after reporting its first homicide in its 14-year existence. This time it was a man who apparently killed himself after shooting at deputies.

Craig Foushee, 52, barricaded himself in a home Thursday for more than 14 hours, according to an Osceola County Sheriff's Office report. He shot at deputies several times, but deputies never returned fire because they were unable to acquire a target and no deputies were injured, authorities said.

Deputies entered the home early Friday and found him dead of an apparent self-inflicted gunshot wound.

Sheriff's spokeswoman Twis Lizasuain said there was no connection between Foushee and Matteo Patrick Giovanditto, who was found slain in a condominium Tuesday. That homicide was the first for Disney's master-planned, picture-perfect central Florida community with 11,000 residents

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom