First Homicide in Celebration Reported

dave&di

That's correct. I was not accusing anyone here of being anti-Disney. I was accusing (although, perhaps incorrectly) people here of thinking that the media must have an ax to grind against Disney anytime they report a news story of something bad happening there.

Exactly. That was the point I was trying to make. I have hung around this site for a few years now, and I have noticed a trend that, with many posters, they think there is some sinister anti-Disney conspiracy among the media to accuse Disney of anything bad that happens on their property. In their minds, the mere reporting of these events means that the media is somehow implying that it is Disney's fault. Some of these people are such die hard loyal fanboys that they seem to see themselves as personal victims of a media conspiracy against Disney, because their whole identity is wrapped up in WDW. So now, naturally, anytime I see anyone express any kind of surprise at such a story being reported as far away as Texas, England, etc, I am biased to assume that they are jumping on the "the media is out to get us" bandwagon. But in this case, perhaps I wrongfully jumped to that conclusion and assumed that some of you were doing just that when, in reality, you were simply surprised to see that story appearing so far away in your local media. If that is the case, then I apologize and stand corrected.

Thanks for your explanation, it was the case I was following on from the 'local paper' thing. I try to stick to simple threads that are fun and positive, I'm not really into the Disney politics, I just love WDW with a passion, it is my 'happy place' and if I thought I was getting involved in Conspiracy theories I wouldn't have posted on it. I use this site to relax and reminise! not for heated discussions, which I know some enjoy! :)

Tom

Beta Return
Bus accidents that killed people made it all the way to our local radio's news feeds. Granted, they were probably just reading AP, but it was still a local station and not anything syndicated nationally.

I don't think anything that's ever happened in Disney has made our local papers, unless it was a paid advertisement. Or, maybe I'm just not reading the right sections.

thelookingglass

hey people are interested in what happens at wdw and the media is always ready to serve it up.
The general public isn't interested in every day happenings at WDW like we are, which is why nothing positive about WDW ever really makes the news.

Instead, the media knows that its a cheap shot at ratings if they can have a headline of "something BAD happened at DISNEY!" which is why car accidents on Disney property make national news.

For the news on topic, it is unfair of the media to have DISNEY in all the headlines seeing as Disney founded the town but is not even involved with it anymore. They know that "a town in central Florida had a murder" is not going to get people's attention, but "DISNEY-created town in Florida near WALT DISNEY WORLD had a MURDER!" does.

flavious27

The general public isn't interested in every day happenings at WDW like we are, which is why nothing positive about WDW ever really makes the news.

Instead, the media knows that its a cheap shot at ratings if they can have a headline of "something BAD happened at DISNEY!" which is why car accidents on Disney property make national news.

For the news on topic, it is unfair of the media to have DISNEY in all the headlines seeing as Disney founded the town but is not even involved with it anymore. They know that "a town in central Florida had a murder" is not going to get people's attention, but "DISNEY-created town in Florida near WALT DISNEY WORLD had a MURDER!" does.

The news know that cheap shots get people to watch because the public wonders about disney because of how much it is ingrained in our culture. People would be shocked by the stuff that happens in o-town but it doesn't matter unless it happens on disney property.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom