Rumor Figment, well, to be replaced by Figment

Doberge

True Bayou Magic
Premium Member
Any thoughts about the reimagining the attraction to use augmented reality? I'm sure there will be many eyes of Universal's Mario Kart attraction in Japan. While I have some concerns about it being a fad (like 3D home movies), between Mario Kart and the Play Pavillion, Disney will have some time to evaluate interest in the technology while it continues to evolve into something more useful than what we have today. Thinking of places to use at Disney, Imagination stands out as an opportunity for guests to play *with* Dreamfinder and Figment. I think Figment in particular would rank highly on a guest list of characters wanting to interact with (and not just see passively in an attraction).

UNCgolf

Any thoughts about the reimagining the attraction to use augmented reality? I'm sure there will be many eyes of Universal's Mario Kart attraction in Japan. While I have some concerns about it being a fad (like 3D home movies), between Mario Kart and the Play Pavillion, Disney will have some time to evaluate interest in the technology while it continues to evolve into something more useful than what we have today. Thinking of places to use at Disney, Imagination stands out as an opportunity for guests to play *with* Dreamfinder and Figment. I think Figment in particular would rank highly on a guest list of characters wanting to interact with (and not just see passively in an attraction).

I don't think that's a good idea. The implementation in Mario Kart is not very impressive, and in general I think it lessens the ride experience instead of enhancing it.

It would probably make more sense to do something like that in ImageWorks, if they actually reopened it as a fun interactive playground instead of using it as a lounge. The presence of the Play! Pavilion makes that less likely, though.

Last edited:

Inspired Figment

I don't think that's a good idea. The implementation in Mario Kart is not very impressive, and in general I think it lessens the ride experience instead of enhancing it.

It would probably make more sense to do something like that in ImageWorks, if they actually reopened it as a fun interactive playground instead of using it as a lounge. The presence of the Play! Pavilion makes that less likely, though.
To be fair though.. who’s to say you couldn’t have both ImageWorks & the Play Pavilion? After all. For years we had a number of different interactive/hands on areas in EPCOT. So I wouldn’t quite put that out of the realm of possibility. i could easily see some type of AR/VR based experience being added to the ImageWorks if they wanted to.

Cmdr_Crimson

It's just a shame what we had got now of imageworks..They could have easily used a good portion of space for a version of Paint and Play similar to TDS and rethemed to the institute where Figment asks for your help to make a bland office space a colorful "splash" of inspiration.
gph220210LARGE.jpg

UNCgolf

To be fair though.. who’s to say you couldn’t have both ImageWorks & the Play Pavilion? After all. For years we had a number of different interactive/hands on areas in EPCOT. So I wouldn’t quite put that out of the realm of possibility. i could easily see some type of AR/VR based experience being added to the ImageWorks if they wanted to.

Oh sure, there'd be no issue with having both.

I just don't think Disney looks at it that way. "Why reopen ImageWorks when we have the Play Pavilion? We can keep using it as a lounge instead."

Inspired Figment

I know in the grand scheme of things it means absolutely nothing, but our royal purple friend won D23's March Hare Mania bracket.

Hmmm.. I don’t know if I’d quite say that. This is the first year he’s actually won one of the March Magic brackets. Also, putting into perspective he beat out BOTH Mushu & Maleficent. Quite a feat if I do say so myself..

UNCgolf

My concern is that they're going to say, "oh okay we need to keep Figment around" and then make him exactly like the Figment in the current ride, which is not what people want. Figment without Dreamfinder is mostly pointless and doesn't really work.

I think I'd rather have something completely original without Figment at all than something without Dreamfinder that uses the image of Figment without the correct personality -- not that they're likely to build something original if it doesn't include Figment.

Last edited:

Brer Panther

My concern is that they're going to say, "oh okay we need to keep Figment around" and then make him exactly like the Figment in the current ride, which is not what people want. Figment without Dreamfinder is mostly pointless and doesn't really work.

I think I'd rather have something completely original without Figment at all than something without Dreamfinder that uses the image of Figment without the correct personality -- not that they're likely to build something original if it doesn't include Figment.
Figment only acts the way he does in the current ride because he hated the second version as much as everyone else did and is calling out Nigel Channing on his bullcrap. So long as the fourth version doesn't have Nigel Channing in it, I think we'll be okay.

UNCgolf

Figment only acts the way he does in the current ride because he hated the second version as much as everyone else did and is calling out Nigel Channing on his bullcrap. So long as the fourth version doesn't have Nigel Channing in it, I think we'll be okay.

Could be. I still don't think he's worth much without Dreamfinder; he was what made the original ride really work.

Also, do you really trust current Disney to make that distinction?

Inspired Figment

He ‘actually’ acts that way to subtlety mock the fans/Friends of Figment that complained & “made a big stink” about the 1st redo. Hence why the whole message is that “Imagination is turning your thinking upside down” and why the sign outside is identical to Tiki Room: Under New Management. It’s practically the same attraction but with reverse roles. Have the old character/fans be the annoying interference rather than the new characters/IP. Pretty petty & pathetic, isn’t it?
Anyway, considering most of the merchandise is very clearly inspired or themed off elements of the original attraction. I’m pretty sure they won’t have him act like he does in the ‘02/current one again. Also, pretty redundant these days to use the Honey I Shrunk/Medfield College IP since those movies are practically irrelevant now. Not to mention, they have nothing to do with the creative process (then again, neither does the current ride. Lmao! It’s about sensory perception, not imagination)

Last edited:

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
Could be. I still don't think he's worth much without Dreamfinder; he was what made the original ride really work.

Also, do you really trust current Disney to make that distinction?

I see Dreamfinder and Figment as yin and yang - They balance each other out perfectly. But balance at Epcot was thrown out 1997-ish in a misguided quest for thrills. And now alcohol sales and movie IP shoved in wherever they can.

FigmentJedi

He ‘actually’ acts that way to subtlety mock the fans/Friends of Figment that complained & “made a big stink” about the 1st redo. Hence why the whole message is that “Imagination is turning your thinking upside down” and why the sign outside is identical to Tiki Room: Under New Management. It’s practically the same attraction but with reverse roles. Have the old character/fans be the annoying interference rather than the new characters/IP. Pretty petty & pathetic, isn’t it?
Anyway, considering most of the merchandise is very clearly inspired or themed off elements of the original attraction. I’m pretty sure they won’t have him act like he does in the ‘02/current one again. Also, pretty redundant these days to use the Honey I Shrunk/Medfield College IP since those movies are practically irrelevant now. Not to mention, they have nothing to do with the creative process (then again, neither does the current ride. Lmao! It’s about sensory perception, not imagination)
I don't believe this was the intent because it assumes that guests would go to an Imagination Institute to get generic hearing and vision tests. He's not interfering to annoy people, he's trying to save us from dying from boredom.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom