Rumor Figment, well, to be replaced by Figment

Mickeynerd17

Are you talking about creating a solid attraction, creating one that fits thematically with the park, or creating an attraction that's a worthy successor to it's predecessor? Because EPCOT has gotten solid attractions and ones that fit well alike since 1996, and you'd be hard pressed to justify driving through a warehouse with road cones being better than the majesty that was World of Motion.

That being said Awesome Planet "got it right" for all three, somewhat so with Soarin' (OG) too. The park hasn't had a straight line of failures through the last 20 years, how many just depends on the context you're viewing them with.
I know I'm in the minority opinion on this, but I actually think Test Track 1.0 was a worthy successor to World of Motion.

For starters, the idea was in the original 1970's pavilion concept with a "test track" of driving futuristic cars, except they couldn't pull off the tech back then. The theming inside the pavilion was top-notch with all of the test dummies, trashed cars, and all sorts of other props everywhere in the pavilion. The pavilion itself was still very edutainment with all the factoids in the queue and the different tests, which are pretty accurate to safety testing back in 1999. The biggest part of all is that Test Track actually fit GM's image much better than WoM because TT was linked closer to GM and its products through safety testing and cars while WoM was basically another SSE except about transportation with the only GM representation being in the post-show, meaning that GM could showcase itself and its products through the entire pavilion in Test Track instead of just the post show. It makes logical sense.

Now, as for being a warehouse with some traffic cones, There was plenty more theming inside there than that. You had the Belgian blocks, the enviro chambers we're chock-full of props and car parts (plus they actually produced hot and cold sensations), the barrier test had a ton of stuff too. They also really didn't need to hide the show building supports because real safety testing takes place in a standard warehouse/facility, so it really compliments the theme more than anything. For a thrill ride, it was highly-themed and still fit Epcot's goals and ideals.

So, IMHO, Test Track was a quality successor to WoM and a better fit for GM overall. Now as for TT 2.0, it basically took all the good theming of 1.0 and chucked it into a dumpster fire (also the Lounge window into the ride is pitch-black now except for the faint blue tail-lights of the vehicles).

Mickeynerd17

I'm gonna stop you right there. It fit GM better, not EPCOT. Again, extremely EPCOT centric attraction gutted and replaced by speeding through an empty warehouse with road cones. TT's post show fit the park better than the main show did honestly.
Really?

How was TT not edutainment? It was literally all about car safety and educated the guests on such. How does that not fit Epcot?

DreamfinderGuy

Really?

How was TT not edutainment? It was literally all about car safety and educated the guests on such. How does that not fit Epcot?
World of Motion specifically gave you a look back into Transportation's story and then gave you a glimpse of it's potential future. Test Track gave you neither (unless you count the reused World of Motion vehicle in the queue as "a look back", I guess) and instead focused on the present, where you boarded an experience based on something soulless and mundane originally. It's a cheap thrill, which has somewhat been plussed with the 2012 overhaul.

Mickeynerd17

World of Motion specifically gave you a look back into Transportation's story and then gave you a glimpse of it's potential future. Test Track gave you neither (unless you count the reused World of Motion vehicle in the queue as "a look back", I guess) and instead focused on the present, where you boarded an experience based on something soulless and mundane originally. It's a cheap thrill, which has somewhat been plussed with the 2012 overhaul.
Ok, you do have a point there, but in regards to Epcot's ideals and goals, which were to entertain, inform, and inspire. Test Track accomplished the first two just fine because the thrill part is definitely entertaining, and it did inform people about how cars were being tested for safety back in 1999. It does lack in Inspire because it didn't really look to the future.

All in all, it just comes down to opinion. I'm a bit biased because TT kickstarted my love for the park as a 3-year-old, and holds a special place in my heart. It must've done something right.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.

trainplane3

I finally got around to scanning pictures from my first trip in 1997 and found this:
qRdXS4Y.jpg

It really shows how large just one blimp was.

Literally everything else I have was the pink castle, Germany train garden, Living Seas sign, and an awkward angle of SSE. Apparently my parents didn't know how to load film in the camera or it broke so 90% of trip wasn't captured.

Cmdr_Crimson

I finally got around to scanning pictures from my first trip in 1997 and found this:
qRdXS4Y.jpg

Literally everything else I have was the pink castle, Germany train garden, Living Seas sign, and an awkward angle of SSE. Apparently my parents didn't know how to load film in the camera or it broke so 90% of trip wasn't captured.

Better view of his ship was at MouseGears before the closure...
From Samland's Disney adventures
IMG_0146.JPG

mimitchi33

qRdXS4Y.jpg

Wow! That's a lovely picture.

Better view of his ship was at MouseGears before the closure...
From Samland's Disney adventures
IMG_0146.JPG
Is it me, or does it look slightly different now?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom