Rumor Figment, well, to be replaced by Figment

Figments Friend

Tony just recently visited this figure at the auction house.
A nice little ‘family reunion’ for the two of them!

This is one of the five animatronic figures used as a part of Dreamfinder’s airship in the ‘turntable’ show scene within the Original Attraction.

Love ya, Tony!
✨

IMG_1398.jpeg

✨

-

Inspired Figment

Interestingly, their listing of it states that it was a prototype model and not the final ones used in the attraction. Here is the page listing it and other JII items:
View attachment 729598
They’ve gotten some things wrong before in the past. Once while I was at D23 Expo they had some props on display and listed the head molds from World of Motion as being from Journey Into Imagination. Ultimately I ended up correcting them by telling a staff member and they said they’d correct it. Seems they did. Lol! But yeah, that’s not a prototype. That’s very clearly one of the final ones used in the ride. The original “prototype” sculpt actually had differences. Mainly in his (your) left/(his) right hand. Originally it faced towards the audience rather than towards himself.

Attachments

• IMG_1380.jpeg
    IMG_1380.jpeg
    120.3 KB · Views: 90

Dragonman

They’ve gotten some things wrong before in the past. Once while I was at D23 Expo they had some props on display and listed the head molds from World of Motion as being from Journey Into Imagination. Ultimately I ended up correcting them by telling a staff member and they said they’d correct it. Seems they did. Lol! But yeah, that’s not a prototype. That’s very clearly one of the final ones used in the ride. The original “prototype” sculpt actually had differences. Mainly in his (your) left/(his) right hand. Originally it faced towards the audience rather than towards himself.
Yep, and recently they got another thing wrong, listing an original Disneyland Haunted Mansion tombstone as being from “Tokyo Disneyland 1969, with faux aging”. The aging and wear is original and is why the tombstones were eventually removed from the berm outside because they were looking sad and neglected.

WDWFREAK53

This company will stoop to all lows to close any of their classic attractions not tied to a recent film. That’s why I can’t see this ride getting the proper revival it needs. At least not anytime soon.
Well, there is a Figment movie in the works (unless it's been cancelled), so maybe sooner rather than later (and by later I mean "never.")

FigmentFan82

Well, there is a Figment movie in the works (unless it's been cancelled), so maybe sooner rather than later (and by later I mean "never.")
Seth Rogen (love him or hate him) seems to actually get his projects made, as opposed to some other producers out there (cough jj abrams cough)
I hope he does actually make it!

Rodj

Wish they would actually release the full clip art of this and others(I.E. Epcot 40th, 2014 art, etc) digitally... I dislike seeing the same select few 1980's art pieces online that don't look right.

FigmentJedi

Yep, and recently they got another thing wrong, listing an original Disneyland Haunted Mansion tombstone as being from “Tokyo Disneyland 1969, with faux aging”. The aging and wear is original and is why the tombstones were eventually removed from the berm outside because they were looking sad and neglected.
Also because a Haunted Mansion Wiki assumed that "Mister West" was a Tokyo exclusive variant of Gracey and not just something copied from that old Disneyland tombstone.

Recently I was watching an old Imagineering documentary (Circa 2002) and found what looked like a rare behind the scenes look at the designing process of the 2002 version of Journey into Imagination. As bad as the current and 99 versions are, I’m beyond fascinated with finding more about how they were designed and built. There’s absolutely nothing regarding any kind of backstage look at how they made these two versions (and the only ones I could find are either on old sketchy websites or home movies from the late 90s)
FE2FFB0A-8060-474A-9E58-1F6078751161.png

Inspired Figment

Recently I was watching an old Imagineering documentary (Circa 2002) and found what looked like a rare behind the scenes look at the designing process of the 2002 version of Journey into Imagination. As bad as the current and 99 versions are, I’m beyond fascinated with finding more about how they were designed and built. There’s absolutely nothing regarding any kind of backstage look at how they made these two versions (and the only ones I could find are either on old sketchy websites or home movies from the late 90s)View attachment 731473
Ah yes, Kathy Mangum… not a fan of her at all. (Nor of that iteration of the ride for that matter) ‘but’ I would definitley be interested to hear/find out more stories about the creation of that travesty and why/how it ultimately ended up the way it did regardless. I feel like I pretty much know, but it would be interesting to hear more details specifically to see how it matches up with what I’ve discovered/figured out over the years. Truthfully they should just go back to the original one w tasteful enhancements & spfx added, period.

Epcot82Guy

Ah yes, Kathy Mangum… not a fan of her at all. (Nor of that iteration of the ride for that matter) ‘but’ I would definitley be interested to hear/find out more stories about the creation of that travesty and why/how it ultimately ended up the way it did regardless. I feel like I pretty much know, but it would be interesting to hear more details specifically to see how it matches up with what I’ve discovered/figured out over the years. Truthfully they should just go back to the original one w tasteful enhancements & spfx added, period.

Google the world "relevance" in corporate culture from that time, and you'll have your answer. That was the killer of traditional Disney theme park design then in a similar way to how the IP mandate and DVC creep are today. (Though I'll give them there is a more definable audience for today's version vs what companies tried to create back then to be in sync with the kids.)

I feel that if Disney really wanted to give the pavilion and ride an overhaul, I can definitely see them making it something truly special. What I think they should do is do a remake of the original, but also using modern technology to really make it cutting edge and timeless. They can easily make the flight into Imagination be a preshow (much like the rotating one from Rise of The Resistance) and utilize the rest of the space for the main ride.

They also need to get rid of the Imagination Institute theme ASAP. It only worked back then because it tied the 4D show to the rest of the pavilion. Now it’s just a weird dated reminder of two cheap and tacky rethemes.

Inspired Figment

I feel that if Disney really wanted to give the pavilion and ride an overhaul, I can definitely see them making it something truly special. What I think they should do is do a remake of the original, but also using modern technology to really make it cutting edge and timeless. They can easily make the flight into Imagination be a preshow (much like the rotating one from Rise of The Resistance) and utilize the rest of the space for the main ride.

They also need to get rid of the Imagination Institute theme ASAP. It only worked back then because it tied the 4D show to the rest of the pavilion. Now it’s just a weird dated reminder of two cheap and tacky rethemes.
I don’t see much point in changing the original format though. Why make it a preshow when they have most of the track there. It wouldn’t even be hard to put back in/repair the old parts of the track. If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Enhance the show scenes with new spfx & tech but don’t change the core show scenes, audio.

Last edited:

Bocabear

This pavilion more than any other deserves a proper makeover and refurbishment... Build a "Tower of the 4 winds" on the upper plaza for some kinetic interest, Bring Back Dreamfinder and Figment, Add an additional spinner or smaller type ride attraction in addition to the main ride...really, Imagination should be an entire expanded land, not just a pavilion...

aladdin2007

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom