Figment is Now A Fail...

Timsierramist

So it was a rainy day in Epcot... I hadn't rode Journey into Imagination in a while. I got in the line, and of course, it was 5 minutes long. When I got in the cart, my jaw dropped. The ride has no Disney feel to it, and no one on this earth will say the animation is decent. This either needs a refurb, more focused on Figment, and not that heartless scientist. Also the moon ending gave me nightmares... :eek: This ride needs to go.
I remember my first ride on Figment a few years ago, lmao. I was thinking the exact same thing! But still, Figment is well established and a tradition for EPCOT (you know you Figment is doing okay when they are selling merchandise on him and his ride). It's part of the Disney culture now and isn't going away anytime soon. It was probably as strange to me coming from Disneyland as Heimlich's Chew Chew Train is for WDW guests to DLR, haha.

Yes. That "moon" gives me nightmares at the end.

figment_moon.jpg

On that note, whose up for a live action Figment movie!!!

cococola44

I will love Figment forever and ever... and yes a lot of the attraction lost its charm (I feel) when Dream Founder was removed and the ride completely changed. How it is now, it is better than the first update that happened after Dream Finder. I think they should change some things up. I do think that will happen anyway soon... I feel it. Figment should never go though. One of the best things I looked forward to when I worked there was going through the tunnels after being at the character zoo and underground they have figment's prints and the instrumental version of Imagination. And would smile every time.

FigmentForver96

Its awful but I actually enjoyed Journey Into YOUR imagination more then Journey Into Imagination with Figment. Its terrible, but with that version that was a unified theme that connected the show and the ride. Then they refurbished it and simply plastered Figment everywhere.

Bairstow

Off-topic....but does that Steampunk Maleficent dragon remind anyone else of the Giant Mouse of Minsk from "An American Tail"?
latest
tmb_3810_480_by_tod309-d9dyf83.jpg

I take exception to your use of the word "Steampunk".
It looks more medieval, or maybe early renaissance than Victorian in origin.

FettFan

I remember my first ride on Figment a few years ago, lmao. I was thinking the exact same thing! But still, Figment is well established and a tradition for EPCOT (you know you Figment is doing okay when they are selling merchandise on him and his ride). It's part of the Disney culture now and isn't going away anytime soon. It was probably as strange to me coming from Disneyland as Heimlich's Chew Chew Train is for WDW guests to DLR, haha.

Yes. That "moon" gives me nightmares at the end.

figment_moon.jpg

On that note, whose up for a live action Figment movie!!!

Only if Figment is an actual puppet and not a CGI creation. Jim Henson's Creature Shop, Stan Winston Legacy Effects....heck even Studio ADI.
But he has to be a REAL creature.

Bairstow

I call it "steampunk" because of the obvious furnace grate on its shoulder.

Fine, but how is something that predates the Victorian age by hundreds of years a indication of its aesthetic?
I realize we're dealing with terms that mean nothing about a theme park parade float, but it seems to me that these days people see a couple gears and some brass coloration and immediately label something as "steampunk" when there are often more nuanced, and more interesting aesthetic choices afoot. In this case, the float seems to be intentionally designed to look like something that could have been cobbled together with the sort of technology extant in the time period where the story is set- like Maleficient herself could have designed it.
It just doesn't say "Isambard Kingdom Brunel" to me.

CastleBound

The ride is just a welcome break from tired legs, the rain, or the heat. Figment used to be one of my favorite characters, but the current version has ruined him. There's definitely updates on the horizon for this area, so hopefully he sticks around and brings Dreamfinder along.

I wonder how well the comics are selling. I think they are into the second volume, so hopefully it's selling well enough for them to realize it's still a loved character.

SplashThunder

Original Poster
The ride is just a welcome break from tired legs, the rain, or the heat. Figment used to be one of my favorite characters, but the current version has ruined him. There's definitely updates on the horizon for this area, so hopefully he sticks around and brings Dreamfinder along.

I wonder how well the comics are selling. I think they are into the second volume, so hopefully it's selling well enough for them to realize it's still a loved character.
You worded it perfectly. This is just bad weather shelter now. I used to look forward to visiting Dreamfinder and Figment when I was a toddler. Now I avoid it 99% of the time. :( Hopefully good ol' Dreamfinder will come back, and Figment will become less mischievous.

SplashThunder

Original Poster
What if they got rid of Eric Idle, and just had Figment take you around? He wouldn't be as mischievous and Looney Tune-ish if he didn't have that goon around. What do you think?

TXDisney

As a kid I liked figment. Not the ride just the character. Now as a grown up I could really careless about it and hope they do something with that area better than what's there now.

EOD K9

To those who say the original Journey into Imagination will never return--take heart! The original Tiki Room was replaced for about ten years when it was "Under New Management", but it came back! (I love Iago, but the original Tiki Room was part of my childhood, so I am glad Iago got kicked out.)
!
True, but there wasn't a whole lot to change. The original Journey started more or less when you walked in. Most of the track has been covered over and the set scenes replaced. TR was probably some cosmetic changes and re-programming.

HouCuseChickie

I gotten a bad first impression with Figment when I first discovered the attraction in its current state unaware of the original version that was once there. I though Figment and the entire ride (Mainly the finale) looked straight out of Barney which didn't help that Barney and Figment looked a bit similar.

Well, in all fairness, my girls were 2 and 4 the first time they saw the current incarnation of the ride.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom