Figment is Now A Fail...

You never saw the 1999 version Journey into YOUR Imagination I take it?

I never thought I would find a terrible Disney ride, but this has to be the worst Disney ride ever! It makes no sense at all, and it seems like it is just a bad tie in to Honey, I Shrunk the Kids! I'm glad they replaced it!

And will terrorize our Nightmares...Which brings me to...
My Top 4 Scariest Moon Faces...
#4 The Moon from A Trip to The Moon
tumblr_mbyfc9QXQF1rge28no1_500.gif

#3 Little Caesars PIZZA TIME Moon
EMYDUzf.gif

#2 The Moon in Legend of Zelda Majora's Mask
majora1.jpg

And the Number 1 Scariest Moon of all time is.....Do I even need to say who...
figment_moon.jpg
:D:hilarious: This is hilarious!

Last edited:

SplashThunder

Original Poster
I agree with a trackless ride system. And this ride is more based on your five senses than imagination. This ride is also very dark. They need to pop more BRIGHT colors. And if Dreamfinder doesn't come back, they should do away with Eric Idle all together.

Cowboy Steve

I didn't visit WDW between 1998 and 2010, so the last time I rode Imagination prior was in 1997 when the original ride was still operating. Losing all the other Future World classics was bad enough, but at least I was prepared for that pain. Unfortunately I was not aware Imagination had been changed. I felt like vomiting and it took all of my willpower after exiting the ride not to shout a stream of obscenities right there in front of families and children.

Just avoid the current abomination entirely, and watch Martin's tribute of the original instead (ride starts around the 10:30 mark), they should never have gotten rid of it-
http://www.martinsvids.net/?p=95
Wow! Thanks for sharing this link! Brought back a lot of memories as we visited EPCOT in 1983 and again in 1984 (Senior class trip). I forgot how long of a ride it was!

The Empress Lilly

I didn't visit WDW between 1998 and 2010, so the last time I rode Imagination prior was in 1997 when the original ride was still operating. Losing all the other Future World classics was bad enough, but at least I was prepared for that pain. Unfortunately I was not aware Imagination had been changed. I felt like vomiting and it took all of my willpower after exiting the ride not to shout a stream of obscenities right there in front of families and children.

Just avoid the current abomination entirely, and watch Martin's tribute of the original instead (ride starts around the 10:30 mark), they should never have gotten rid of it-
http://www.martinsvids.net/?p=95
That's all that ever needs to be said on this subject.

Well that, and that at least the other EPCOT pavilions got replaced by something else. Whereas Imagination merely got replaced by the stupid version of itself. Adding insult and idiocy to injury.

Cmdr_Crimson

What bugs me the most is how much they were really banking on Figskunk to be a big success...
z-imagination.jpg

And....*sigh* yes they even had merch...A Pin farting out his name & A Doll....:banghead:
s-l1000.jpg

figmentskunk+%2528www.creationscelebrations.com%2529.jpg

*Sniff* *Sniff* Smelled and thought it was a good idea at the time...Thank me for ruining your childhood and bringing no Imagination to a Pavillion.
tumblr_m3877xEGyn1rv0uqpo1_400.gif~original

Bluewaves

It needed an edge just like the Tiki room redo, too bad the pavilion doesn't burn down to get them to change it back

BiffyClyro

I've never understood the obsession but then I guess I'm too young and have always had the crappy version of Figment. Just seems like a cheap random character.

Goofyernmost

I've never understood the obsession but then I guess I'm too young and have always had the crappy version of Figment. Just seems like a cheap random character.
The only reason why Figment is there was because he was a strong personality in the original. A character capable of excitement of learning and discovering new things. He was a gentle, lovable character. The new version of Figment is that of a know it all, jokester, brat. It is understandable why you wouldn't understand the obsession of those that are familiar with what he was originally portrayed as. He wasn't a great hero, just a character that was fun and interesting. Now... not so much!

Last edited:

Figments Friend

The Original 'Journey' was brilliant in both concept and storytelling.
The character of Dreamfinder and the original Figment were the perfect personifications of the creative process.
The first three minutes alone, during the traveling show room sequence that introduces them, was a fantastic staging concept.

No video footage exists that captures fully what the experience was truly like when riding the Original.
If you never had the chance to ride, there will always be that missing element.
It is next to impossible to fully understand without having actually experienced it back in the day.
It was truly unique.

Videos do NOT offer a very good representation of what it was really like.
It would be like trying to convey the scope of 'Pirates' or 'Mansion' on someone who has never experienced those Attractions in person.
There is no way the epicness, showmanship, scale, and general 'wow' factor can be captured in a video clip shown on a tiny screen.

Those who experienced the Original, know what I'm trying to convey here.
It was a wonderful ride through.
It truly inspired.
The entire Pavilion, as a whole, was wonderful and inspiring.
Sadly, that is no longer the case.....in any measurement.

-

Cmdr_Crimson

The character of Dreamfinder and the original Figment were the perfect personifications of the creative process.
The first three minutes alone, during the traveling show room sequence that introduces them, was a fantastic staging concept.

No video footage exists that captures fully what the experience was truly like when riding the Original.
It is next to impossible to fully understand without having actually experienced it back in the day.
It was truly unique.

It would be like trying to convey the scope of 'Pirates' or 'Mansion' on someone who has never experienced those Attractions in person.
There is no way the epicness, showmanship, scale, and general 'wow' factor can be captured in a video clip shown on a tiny screen.

It truly inspired.

-
By chance have you seen the virtual version of the ride on this site?http://journeybackintoimagination.blogspot.com/p/journey-into-imagination-recreation.html?m=1

Cowboy Steve

It was truly unique.

It truly inspired.

-
Well stated.

brb1006

The only reason why Figment is there was because he was a strong personality in the original. A character capable of excitement of learning and discovering new things. He was a gentle, lovable character. The new version of Figment is that of a know it all, jokester, brat. It is understandable why you wouldn't understand the obsession of those that are familiar with what he was originally portrayed as. He wasn't a great hero, just a character that was fun and interesting. Now... not so much!
That and him and Dreamfinder made a great duo in the original incarnation which might also explain why the public loved Figment.

brb1006

It was truly unique.

It truly inspired.

-
And the original Imageworks was alot of fun judging by older guests compared to the cheap and "babish" version that currently exists today.

Figments Friend

And the original Imageworks was alot of fun judging by older guests compared to the cheap and "babish" version that currently exists today.

The difference between the past incarnation of the Image Works upstairs and the later version placed downstairs are like night and day.

I would say the most striking difference was one engaged you in truly creative ways, and the other was a mere borderline novelty.
When you as a Guest are fully engaged in a experience, it holds your attention and entertains you on a deeper level then just being a frivolous exercise.

Another major difference between the two experiences -
The activities in the original Image Works did that in clever ways with engaging presentations using cutting edge technology at the time.
Guests were introduced to completely new concepts of play that up to that time had not been experienced by most.
Examples would be 'The Magic Palette' ( early computer graphics artwork activity) and 'Stepping Tones' (sensor enabled lighted 'spots' on the floor that produced music tones ) among many others.
Even some not-so-new-tech was presented, but in a setting and within a context that perfectly suited the particular activity.
'Dreamfinder's School of Drama' ( simple green screen / chroma key video production used in a entertaining format with present Guests) is an example.
Even the often talked about 'Pin Tables' could fall under this classification.
In all cases, the tech was neat...but it was the setting, theming, and overall presentation of the entire area that delighted and engaged Guests.

The later incarnation may have had tech involved in its presentations, but it lacked real engagement and a non-existing themed setting.
You can have the coolest tech in the world, but it means nothing if the Guest is not engaged in the experience on a deeper level.
Modern Disney has been having trouble understanding that it seems in several instances.

The quality differences were very obvious as well.
The Original Image Works was a major component of the Pavilion back in the day.
A LOT of thought and effort went into those activities and a conscious effort was made to really create a place were people could get...well, CREATIVE!
The later incarnation downstairs was a complete afterthought and not really of importance.
The primarily computer imagery gimmicks were being passed off as 'activities' and were shallow in depth and lacking in any real excitement.
At that point in time, most Guests could do similar activities at home on their own computer or later still, their own smart phone.
There was absolutely no 'imagination' used to create this area.
It had been reduced to a few simple diversions on the way out the exit...past the Kodak photo printing counter and tiny merchandise shop.

The differences in attitude between the two presentations is so painfully obvious, but you would only really be aware of it if you happened to experience the Original all those years ago.

The more recent Image Works incarnation is nothing more then a placeholder for something hopefully better to come.

-

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom