Figment is Now A Fail...

Rescue Ranger

I'm happy at least for the fact that they have not given up on Figment yet. And they appear to at least be aware of Dreamfinder's popularity despite doing nothing with it.

I'm still hopefully one day we will be thrilled with an new and much needed overhaul to a proper Imagination Institute and area.

MrWarners14

Figment turned from a lovable character into a comedic and mischievous character straight out of a Looney Tunes cartoon.

Except the Looney Tunes are actually funny and versatile in their humor. Figment may be the most unique Disney character to me but this 2002 incarnation is not just obnoxious but flat-out disrespectful to what he represented in his past incarnation (the jokes in the current one are just awful). In the original, he felt more like a curious child wanting to learn more from his dad (the Dreamfinder) while having dignity and respect for the themes of imagination and being so pure and innocent with his intentions. Here, Figment is actively being an unlikable and annoying jerk.

I feel like the longer the 2002 version stays open, the more pointless and disjointed it will ultimately end up being. It's supposed to be a mockery of the 2nd version (which was insulting to people's intelligence and had really nothing to do with imagination in hindsight) and while in 2002, the way Figment manhandles (Wait, more like dragonhandles) Nigel Channing can be seen as a not-so-subtle jab at the guy who originally ruined the attraction and turned the imagination pavilion into a joke. Now in 2018, the further away from the 2nd version we get, the more irrelevant the in-joke gets and thus Figment just comes off as rather mean-spirited nowadays.

It also has very little to do with imagination. On the one hand, you have Figment just telling us about the virtues of imagination but that doesn't work since we never actually see what he's actually talking about with any substance. It's more crass jokes than a thoughtful insight into imagination. Whereas the 12-minute original goes into stunning detail about imagination with it's themes and the ending with Figment having possible futures is downright inspiring. THIS just makes me inspired to throw-up knowing they did a gross-out gag involving skunks and Figment and made PINS involving him in the get-up farting his name out (disgusting).

On the other hand, there are some visual elements that look nice. Figment's house is kind of interesting and the ending with Figment and "One Little Spark" is cool. I really do think the pavilion has potential to be inspiring and clever while being able to make some clever jokes in a light-hearted and well intended way. I just feel like they need to outright stay as far away from this concept and personality of 2002 Figment when rebooting this ride because this is simply embarrassing how it's somehow remained longer than the beloved original and is tarnishing the legacy of what made it so liked in the first place. I didn't even grow up with the original ride (saw it on YouTube and the original ended in 1998 when I was 3) but even I think the pavilion deserves better.

In other words, 2002 Figment sucks. Heck, 1999 Figment still had Billy Barty and his original personality so I commend them for that even if that version of the ride was....so boring.

Last edited:

John park hopper

First rode Journry to Imagination in 1986 with my young sons. I can remember how amazed they were with Figment so they each got Figment plush toy at the end of the show Both Figments have now been passed down to our grandaughters age 3 and 5. Rode the new version in 2017 still enjoyed it even with the changes

erasure fan1

Maybe Marvel could be the sponsor of the attraction we've been waiting for?
Well Marvel is technically sponsoring it because its owned by Disney. So unfortunately, no, they aren't the sponsor we've been looking for.

I fear we will never see imagination return to its former glory. I expect as the park transforms, it will be shuttered for whatever IP is hot at that time. If they cared about fixing it, they would have by now.

John park hopper

Well Marvel is technically sponsoring it because its owned by Disney. So unfortunately, no, they aren't the sponsor we've been looking for.

I fear we will never see imagination return to its former glory. I expect as the park transforms, it will be shuttered for whatever IP is hot at that time. If they cared about fixing it, they would have by now.

Unfortunately i have to agree with you. The days of Disney developing original ideas with imagination, originality and vision are gone in favor of established IP bought else where. Will they stand the test of time like some of Disneys classics --don't know. Will Disney become just another amusment park filled with dressed up roller coasters ?

Bender123

Unfortunately i have to agree with you. The days of Disney developing original ideas with imagination, originality and vision are gone in favor of established IP bought else where. Will they stand the test of time like some of Disneys classics --don't know. Will Disney become just another amusment park filled with dressed up roller coasters ?

The idea of IP clashing with ride imagination isn't really a valid argument IMHO...There are many many unique rides Disney has made without the use of IP or they have unique ride systems with IP included. Soarin, Test Track, Flight of Passage, Rat and Toy Story to name a few. Even 7DMT was fairly unique in its combo of dark ride and Coaster, even if its far too short.

The myth that IP and ride systems mean a lack of imagination is just not true...the problem with this mentality is when IP needs start intruding on areas where they don't belong. GotG seems like it will be a fun and exciting ride, but the idea of throwing that IP into a park based on science and knowledge seems really bad. Rat is an IP, but it also feels completely natural in France, because its also based on the highest grossing animated movie to be in France and is almost completely about the French Experience via food culture. Others, like Frozen, have (arguably) improved the ride, but completely broken the theme, as Frozen is not based in Norway, even if the cultural references and appearance are most definitely Norway. Having the Cars theme on Test Track would be awful, yet its fits wonderfully when you have a Cars Land around it to match.

I guess it all comes down to "time and place". IP CAN work, but you also have to make sure that it matches your overall theme.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

All I ask from this Future World Refurbishment is that Journey into Imagination is restored, Spaceship Earth gets a better narration perhaps the guy who does Happily Ever After and a restoration of the Fountain of Nations and I'm good. I love Horizons but I'm not getting my hopes up, I'm hoping for a Horizons like ending for Spaceship Earth.

Railfan Andrew

What, no love for Horizons?
Horizons%2012.jpg
Or Space Mountain: De la Terre à la Lune?
12.jpg

Last edited:

Goofyernmost

The problem with that is that prior to Epcot, (and the 64 Worlds Fair in NY) almost all ideas with imagination, etc. were someone else's IP. Walt would acquire an IP from someone else and apply the Disney twist and interpretation to it. Very, very few were original ideas from the Disney staff other then someone saying.. "hey, lets see if we can get the rights to Mary Poppins, Pinocchio, Snow White, Cinderella" and on and on, then build a new or our brand of story telling around it. They still do that with every acquisition that they currently own. It has almost always been someone else's idea adapted to Disney interpretation, improvement or, sometimes, failure. In my mind, as long as they do a good job, stick with Disney quality and present a good story, I cannot image caring about who had the original concept idea.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Mr Flibble is Very Cross.
Premium Member
I've come to the realization that this ride has to go. I don't think the original will ever come back - and it probably shouldn't. Yes, it would be nostaligic...and fun for a few rides - but that's it. It'd be dated.

I'm all for creating a brand new attraction themed after (and with a heavy dose of) Figment, Dream Finder, and a couple of new (yet to be introduced) characters. No screen ride or simulators please. Keep it a dark ride.

Goofyernmost

I've come to the realization that this ride has to go. I don't think the original will ever come back - and it probably shouldn't. Yes, it would be nostaligic...and fun for a few rides - but that's it. It'd be dated.

I'm all for creating a brand new attraction themed after (and with a heavy dose of) Figment, Dream Finder, and a couple of new (yet to be introduced) characters. No screen ride or simulators please. Keep it a dark ride.
I don't think it is coming back, but, how can anything about imagination ever be dated. All the same things would apply today that did in 1983 when it opened. That would have been a prime example of how an attraction can still be timeless years later. If you are talking about it being corny, well, it was in 83 as well. It was still jaw dropping through the turntable and interesting through the rest of it, but, I don't remember anything about it that wouldn't apply today. It got boring because we had seen it so often. Now we have had a couple of decades of people that have never seen it at all. Just like we were when we first saw it. Even some of the things new could have easily been added in without having to redo the entire show.

LaughingGravy

I don't think it is coming back, but, how can anything about imagination ever be dated. All the same things would apply today that did in 1983 when it opened. That would have been a prime example of how an attraction can still be timeless years later. If you are talking about it being corny, well, it was in 83 as well. It was still jaw dropping through the turntable and interesting through the rest of it, but, I don't remember anything about it that wouldn't apply today. It got boring because we had seen it so often. Now we have had a couple of decades of people that have never seen it at all. Just like we were when we first saw it. Even some of the things new could have easily been added in without having to redo the entire show.
The innovation of the turntable, the light level of corny without being rude and obnoxious (think Tiki room/New Management..I bet same minds dd that disaster) and imagination with unique characters and the overall quality of the ride were what made it timeless and repeatable.

Now it looks like the Hershey Park "Chocolate Factory" ride in World of Chocolate. It is in no way worthy of having the name Disney attached to it in any way.
I don't think the original will return, because that would (gasp!) cost money and would not be a shake you around in a box and show you a movie kind of budget.

danheaton

My wish is that Disney would take the time and build a new version of Imagination with Figment and Dreamfinder. It wouldn't be the same as the original but would have nods to it and to the steampunk look of the comics. They could make a longer ride (at least in the 8-10 minute range) and just remove the broken-down Imageworks to do it. I don't see this actually happening, but it would be a big draw especially given the lack of dark rides like it in Epcot. I just have a feeling that it will be a long while before anything happens in that pavilion given the money being spent elsewhere in the park.

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

I'm trying to get the "Now" part.... :).
Figment has been a total failure for close to a decade. Yet? WDW keeps "prompting" people with that cute Figment image, every time EPCOT has an "event".

Hoping next "Flower & Garden"? WDW has a Figment-in-a-coffin topiary :(. At least it would be honest.

All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

Railfan Andrew

I gotten a bad first impression with Figment when I first discovered the attraction in its current state unaware of the original version that was once there. I though Figment and the entire ride (Mainly the finale) looked straight out of Barney which didn't help that Barney and Figment looked a bit similar.
That finale scared me pretty good when I was a kid... Imagination is a BLAST!!!! PSSSSSSSHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom