Figment is Now A Fail...

alphac2005

To think that we've now been stuck with these awful incarnations of the ride longer than the original at this point. Journey 2.0, the entrance graveyard, the wand, amongst other things really foretold the sorry state the park would be in the future, rather today's present.

Mickey5150

I wouldn't say Journey to Imagination is a great ride but I don't understand the pure hatred for it. Would I like to see it improved? Definitely. Do I want them to bring the old ride back? No.

eddy21

True, but there wasn't a whole lot to change. The original Journey started more or less when you walked in. Most of the track has been covered over and the set scenes replaced. TR was probably some cosmetic changes and re-programming.
Yeap you can feel that your walking on wooden flooring near the melody makers that's covering where the old track was.

Cmdr_Crimson

What I find hilarious is that the line shown in this video for this version
of the ride is longer than you will see it for the current version!

Not exactly...when I was there at the End of January when the weekends hit it reached at least to 25 minutes and using the extended queue..My guess is that guests are expecting something amazing....But, no...They just experience Figment Farting on you to release your Spark of Imagination....Disney Magic!
epcot-imagination-figment.jpg

mimitchi33

I'm a 2000's kid and loved this version of the ride. I still have a plushie of him!
You never saw the 1999 version Journey into YOUR Imagination I take it?

I actually had to suffer through this crap when I volunteered for a play for young children. A little girl was watching Disney ride videos on
Not exactly...when I was there at the End of January when the weekends hit it reached at least to 25 minutes and using the extended queue..My guess is that guests are expecting something amazing....But, no...They just experience Figment Farting on you to release your Spark of Imagination....Disney Magic!
epcot-imagination-figment.jpg
209hqf9.jpg

That's a funny reason for the ride's recent-found long queues, but there's actually another reason: Figment made a cameo in a very popular Disney film recently, and that might have boosted his popularity:

Haymarket2008

I'm a 2000's kid and loved this version of the ride. I still have a plushie of him!

I actually had to suffer through this crap when I volunteered for a play for young children. A little girl was watching Disney ride videos on

209hqf9.jpg

That's a funny reason for the ride's recent-found long queues, but there's actually another reason: Figment made a cameo in a very popular Disney film recently, and that might have boosted his popularity:

The cameo in Inside Out was barely even visible/was on screen for a second or two. I would wager that had nothing to do with his popularity.

FigmentPigments

True, but there wasn't a whole lot to change. The original Journey started more or less when you walked in. Most of the track has been covered over and the set scenes replaced. TR was probably some cosmetic changes and re-programming.
How dare you bring your realism into this. ;)

cinderellaworld

I personally like the ride a lot, it's pathetic but I love it maybe its because I grew up with it so it's just a ride I always head for, it usually has a short wait time too.
Though I find it hard to believe they haven't got rid of it yet.

brb1006

The cameo in Inside Out was barely even visible/was on screen for a second or two. I would wager that had nothing to do with his popularity.
More like an Easter Egg geared towards longtime WDW fans and visitors. Since the general public might not even recognize Figment.

Brad Bishop

I think the worst thing about the ride is the level of disappointment it brings.

That could be, in part, due to the expectation of what can be done with "Imagination". Kind of like how in horror movies that the less that is scene of the villain then the scarier it is because your brain does so much of the work for being scared.

That being said, it's a horrible ride that really seems like it could be so much more than stupid parlor tricks. It's freaking "imagination"! They could literally (well, save for violence and sex, I suppose) do anything and it'd be OK. Instead you get silly parlor tricks. The tricks inside Haunted Mansion are better. If anything, it's more of the "5 senses" ride than a ride about imagination.

The other side of things is that it dumps you out into a dated area where you can play with some custom computer applications. It's all standard stuff an, if anything, might be better suited for Innoventions (if it were still open). Imagination, IMO ought to be a full pavilion like The Land. They could put in a food court (Just simple OTC stuff) and serve up things like rainbow ice cream or hamburgers with ham or just about anything original / whacky. They could have unique gifts there (Does anyone remember the old "invisible dog" leash? - maybe not that but stuff like that). They could have cool, physical props. Universal has you walking through a wall to get to the 9 3/4 platform (Pepper's Ghost). Do some cool stuff like that. Open up the upper level.

Imagination should be one of the most fun pavilions you can experience but, instead, it's the disappointment pavilion. The pavilion would actually be better named, "Welcome to Disappointment!" You'd get off and think, "Wow - they really captured that. I was completely disappointed!"

Brad Bishop

I would love to see a new version of the old ride but made with trackless technology like Pooh's Hunny Hunt in TDL. Now that technology was practically made for this ride!

Something that would be cool with the trackless technology is to have the scenes morph around you. You shouldn't see a huge trough where the non-track lies both in front and behind you. You should feel like you're traveling through the scene and elements should move out of the way as you travel and fill in behind you.

FigmentJedi

Of course Figment's overbearing in the current version. The whole thing is a meta-plot about how crappy Journey into your Imagination was and Figment laying waste to the Imagination Institute and Eric Idle's very clinical approach to creativity in revenge. Eric Idle's was the Anti-Dreamfinder that told the audience that they had no imagination whatsoever and tries keeping things contained in a scientific box in contrast to Dreamfinder's "Imagination is something that belongs to all of us" and celebration of all forms of creativity. You boot the man out and dump on his philosophy? Of course Figment's gonna make sure he has a bad time in a passive aggressive fashion.

Problem is that it's been 14 years and the joke's not funny anymore. Same thing as Under New Management and its meta-story about "Is Tiki Room even relevant anymore?" that went over the heads of new guests

Cmdr_Crimson

Of course Figment's overbearing in the current version. The whole thing is a meta-plot about how crappy Journey into your Imagination was and Figment laying waste to the Imagination Institute and Eric Idle's very clinical approach to creativity in revenge. Eric Idle's was the Anti-Dreamfinder that told the audience that they had no imagination whatsoever and tries keeping things contained in a scientific box in contrast to Dreamfinder's "Imagination is something that belongs to all of us" and celebration of all forms of creativity. You boot the man out and dump on his philosophy? Of course Figment's gonna make sure he has a bad time in a passive aggressive fashion.

This is why I hate the fact that Nigel Channing states in the intro that Figment was a "Recent Discovery" When he had some very "Minor" involvement in the 1999 version...

brb1006

Problem is that it's been 14 years and the joke's not funny anymore. Same thing as Under New Management and its meta-story about "Is Tiki Room even relevant anymore?" that went over the heads of new guests
Am I the only person thinking Figment in the current version would sound pretty arrogant when ever he bring up or knows about Imagination? In the first version, Figment had to learn about Imagination with Dreamfinder and now that Dreamfinder's gone. Figment has to come up with how Imagination goes without him.

brb1006

This is why I hate the fact that Nigel Channing states in the intro that Figment was a "Recent Discovery" When he had some very "Minor" involvement in the 1999 version...
And by minor we're talking about seeing him for a 2 or 3 seconds during the final of the second version. It's difficult to see because of how dark some of the video footage for that version was. At least Billy Barty reprised his role as Figment for the last time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom