Festival of the Lion King moving to Africa

iheartdisney91

It has some of my favorite rides there and I love lion king but it needs more.
oh yes! i mean i LOVE the Dinosaur ride, and Nemo and Lion King and all the animals and stuff.
it's just not a park that i need to visit 3 times every vacation like we do with MK or Epcot.

it's a very nice park, but it DOES need more. something NOT like the others, like(Asia, Africa more animals)
"Avatar" isn't something i'd have in mind.

iheartdisney91

3 times not even three hours sometimes I was there last Wednesday and with Kali on refurb was done by 1.

Same.
we went 2 weeks ago for our vacation, we always save AK for last.
we finished it in maybe 2 hrs?....we werent there long. We were in Disney 10 days and
didn't return to the AK. instead we revisit MK,DHS, and Epcot 4-5 times during our vacation.
AK isn't a family favorite. We love the animals and we have a nice time in the park, it's just not our favorite.

Bparso87

Same.
we went 2 weeks ago for our vacation, we always save AK for last.
we finished it in maybe 2 hrs?....we werent there long. We were in Disney 10 days and
didn't return to the AK. instead we revisit MK,DHS, and Epcot 4-5 times during our vacation.
AK isn't a family favorite. We love the animals and we have a nice time in the park, it's just not our favorite.
We somehow always for it first just they way it works out for us. But good day to go back and get some rest for the rest of the week.

twebber55

Does anyone still care about Song of the South, or for that matter how many younger people even know if it's existance. This doesn't seem to hurt the popularity of Splash Mountian.
yeah i always wonder what people think when you use facts to back up your opinion on pandora...are people huge TOT fans or is the ride just an incredible attraction

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
yeah i always wonder what people think when you use facts to back up your opinion on pandora...are people huge TOT fans or is the ride just an incredible attraction

I think you mean Twilight Zone fans? Don't want to put words in your mouth though. I may misunderstand your post. Anyhoo, I agree with the sentiment that franchise popularity is way overrated with respect to a theme park attraction. Whether or not anyone likes Avatar is almost beside the point. If done properly a Pandora land could be the best area/land in Orlando. There are three big questions - 1) Will it get done at all, 2) will TDO spend the requisite amount of cash and 3) will it be done before we have colonies on Mars and Io dedicated by solar system Prime Minister Miley Cyrus. :lookaroun

twebber55

I think you mean Twilight Zone fans? Don't want to put words in your mouth though. I may misunderstand your post. Anyhoo, I agree with the sentiment that franchise popularity is way overrated with respect to a theme park attraction. Whether or not anyone likes Avatar is almost beside the point. If done properly a Pandora land could be the best area/land in Orlando. There are three big questions - 1) Will it get done at all, 2) will TDO spend the requisite amount of cash and 3) will it be done before we have colonies on Mars and Io dedicated by solar system Prime Minister Miley Cyrus. :lookaroun
yep thats what i meant..thanks...great questions lol

Bryner84

Does anyone still care about Song of the South, or for that matter how many younger people even know if it's existance. This doesn't seem to hurt the popularity of Splash Mountian.
I think Splash works because people don't associate it with Song of the South. It was a win for Disney because they could introduce something new to this generation without having to take the time or $$$ to invent new characters. For many, those characters exist only in Splash Mountain thus it is almost the equivalent of an "original" attraction. Avatar on the other hand, is widely known and the reaction is divisive. To me it is too much of a flash in the pan, flavor of the month type of property...and even worse it is last month's flavor of the month. Because it was such a pop culture phenomenon, its popularity has spiked and now plummeted. It is now "cool to hate it". Releasing an attraction based on Avatar in 5 years from now is the theme park equivalent to releasing a remix of "Gangnam Style" in half a decade.

Bparso87

It is not the fact that ppl might not care if the land is good big one overrated movie deserve a whole land a ride would be awesome but a whole land with all the properties they own they chose this. That is my issue.

steamboat wil

So now are we assuming something will be put into CMM once FOTLK is moved. I would hate Avatar to get scrapped just to see this area sit barren. Don't get me wrong, not a big fan of Avatar but if/when it gets cancelled is there a plan B or will the area just be empty?

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
So now are we assuming something will be put into CMM once FOTLK is moved. I would hate Avatar to get scrapped just to see this area sit barren. Don't get me wrong, not a big fan of Avatar but if/when it gets cancelled is there a plan B or will the area just be empty?

Fossilized animal poop scavenger hunt.

Bparso87

I like the idea of the land if it is done right AK needs more stuff to do. I loved the movie when I watched it in IMAX. I just think there is better lands that can go there do I think Avatar needs some attractions yes just not a whole land. If that is the route they go I am for it.

RunnerEd

Some have asked if Avatar will be relevant 10 years from now. I would suggest that Avatar is not relevant in popular culture now. I don't recall seeing anyone wear a blue people t-shirt anywhere. However, if it is a beautiful, fully encompassing environment with great attractions, I think it will be a good addition to DAK.

With that said, I believe TWDC is trying far too hard with DAK. Pick a continent that is not represented (either of the Americas or Australia) and build an Africa/Asia style area there. Take a bulldozer to the Chester and Hester area and build an incredible Dino land BEFORE Uni announces Jurassic Park. Make Uni go a different direction from their rumored plans for a change. In the new Dino land, have a night time spectacular and DAK is a full day park.

PS.....FIX THE YETI

MarkTwain

I think Splash works because people don't associate it with Song of the South. It was a win for Disney because they could introduce something new to this generation without having to take the time or $$$ to invent new characters. For many, those characters exist only in Splash Mountain thus it is almost the equivalent of an "original" attraction. Avatar on the other hand, is widely known and the reaction is divisive. To me it is too much of a flash in the pan, flavor of the month type of property...and even worse it is last month's flavor of the month. Because it was such a pop culture phenomenon, its popularity has spiked and now plummeted. It is now "cool to hate it". Releasing an attraction based on Avatar in 5 years from now is the theme park equivalent to releasing a remix of "Gangnam Style" in half a decade.

Quoted for truth. Excellent point of the difference between SotS and Avatar.

Bryner84

Some have asked if Avatar will be relevant 10 years from now. I would suggest that Avatar is not relevant in popular culture now. I don't recall seeing anyone wear a blue people t-shirt anywhere. However, if it is a beautiful, fully encompassing environment with great attractions, I think it will be a good addition to DAK.

With that said, I believe TWDC is trying far too hard with DAK. Pick a continent that is not represented (either of the Americas or Australia) and build an Africa/Asia style area there. Take a bulldozer to the Chester and Hester area and build an incredible Dino land BEFORE Uni announces Jurassic Park. Make Uni go a different direction from their rumored plans for a change. In the new Dino land, have a night time spectacular and DAK is a full day park.

PS.....FIX THE YETI

Agreed about the ability of an immersive land based on an irrelevant property to be successful...I would argue though that Avatar is relevant, but not in a good way. It is fine if an IP doesn't draw you into a land on its own merit, but at a cursory glance it shouldn't turn you away, which I feel is possible with the casual tourist rather than the obsessive Disneyparkophile.

Night time show in a newly improved Dinoland? Count me in! How about a pyrotechnic-filled depiction of the extinction of the dinosaurs from a giant asteroid hitting the Earth...too violent?

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
How about a pyrotechnic-filled depiction of the extinction of the dinosaurs from a giant asteroid hitting the Earth...too violent?

Only if you have a 20 minute pre-show where you become closely acquainted with an apatosaurus family and right when they're all snuggling up to go to sleep, baby Tickles says, "Mommy. Life is awesome and I love you all very much.." followed by Ka-pow! mass extinction and little Tickles running around all Bambi like looking for his mommy and daddy in the carnage.

RunnerEd

Agreed about the ability of an immersive land based on an irrelevant property to be successful...I would argue though that Avatar is relevant, but not in a good way. It is fine if an IP doesn't draw you into a land on its own merit, but at a cursory glance it shouldn't turn you away, which I feel is possible with the casual tourist rather than the obsessive Disneyparkophile.

Night time show in a newly improved Dinoland? Count me in! How about a pyrotechnic-filled depiction of the extinction of the dinosaurs from a giant asteroid hitting the Earth...too violent?

I've served in the Marine Corps Infantry so my definition of too violent would make most people curl up in the fetal position.....lol!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom