Festival of the Lion King moving to Africa

jt04

What is this about Nemo??? I love that show and it has such a great score!!! Why is it in danger of leaving?

It is not a bad show but it has not become a "must see" attraction. The main problem though is the location which is just thematically wrong. I would guess one of the things being considered is a scaled down show for one of the venues at the Studios. Win-Win.

Cosmic Commando

It is not a bad show but it has not become a "must see" attraction. The main problem though is the location which is just thematically wrong. I would guess one of the things being considered is a scaled down show for one of the venues at the Studios. Win-Win.
Yes, if an attraction is not popular, reducing the scope and making the experience less impressive is certain to bring the crowds in! Stage shows generally get a pass for theme. Technically, the theater is in Dinoland, but it's kinda sorta its own thing. Having Festival of the Lion King as the only attraction in an Adirondack-themed land doesn't seem to keep the people away, btw.

If Nemo is not pulling the crowds, I think it's because nobody is presold on seeing a "Finding Nemo: The Musical" the way they are with Beauty & the Beast or Aladdin or even Lion King. I'd bet there is a good chunk of people who see that there's a "Finding Nemo: The Musical" and think, "Finding Nemo? What songs do I remember from Finding Nemo? Ehh, pass." While it's a laudable technical achievement to take a movie without any songs and turn it into a musical, maybe theme parks are not the right venue for that. On Broadway, it works because there is a whole cottage industry of Broadway criticism that people are used to accessing and usually set out to see a specific show. Theme parks are different. Broadway is haute cuisine; theme parks are comfort food.

RSoxNo1

It's open every day, but closes prior to the parade because it goes right in front of it and the park wasn't designed for a parade. Plus there are Animal barns right behind it, not a lot of room for expansion. I don't really think First aid access is an issue here, I'm sure they can work something out.
I don't recall seeing that open the last 5 times I've been to that park. I'll be there in 2 weeks and I'll check then.

jt04

Yes, if an attraction is not popular, reducing the scope and making the experience less impressive is certain to bring the crowds in! Stage shows generally get a pass for theme. Technically, the theater is in Dinoland, but it's kinda sorta its own thing. Having Festival of the Lion King as the only attraction in an Adirondack-themed land doesn't seem to keep the people away, btw.

If Nemo is not pulling the crowds, I think it's because nobody is presold on seeing a "Finding Nemo: The Musical" the way they are with Beauty & the Beast or Aladdin or even Lion King. I'd bet there is a good chunk of people who see that there's a "Finding Nemo: The Musical" and think, "Finding Nemo? What songs do I remember from Finding Nemo? Ehh, pass." While it's a laudable technical achievement to take a movie without any songs and turn it into a musical, maybe theme parks are not the right venue for that. On Broadway, it works because there is a whole cottage industry of Broadway criticism that people are used to accessing and usually set out to see a specific show. Theme parks are different. Broadway is haute cuisine; theme parks are comfort food.

My thinking is it could be scaled down to appeal to a younger audience. Something like LM or BatB at DHS. Children do not appreciate a broadway scale show necessarily but do appreciate shows that are not so intimidating and over the top. The two shows at DHS are very popular with families.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Additional photos from the same article:
1-3-12-animalkingdom-large.jpg

1-2-12-ANIMALKINGDOM-2.jpg

1-2-12-ANIMALKINGDOM-3.jpg

1-2-12-ANIMALKINGDOM-4.jpg

These plans, which were filed with the South Florida Water Management District, were approved today.

iheartdisney91

can we please cancel "Avatar" theres so much negative response to it, Disney should invest in
something we've all spoken highly about.....Beastly Kingdom would be a nice idea.

not getting my hopes up, i mean look at the "disco yeti" o_O

twebber55

can we please cancel "Avatar" theres so much negative response to it, Disney should invest in
something we've all spoken highly about.....Beastly Kingdom would be a nice idea.

not getting my hopes up, i mean look at the "disco yeti" o_O
by the way im for avatar love the idea...however you think disney cares what this board thinks about any of their ideas.... im mean look at next gen...not one good comment about it but yet its happening

doctornick

Regardless of Pandora happening or not, Beastly Kingdomme is dead and not going to happen. Realistically, if Pandora falls through, then it's far more likely to get some variant of Mysterious Island in that space than it is to see BK -- not only was MI a more recent consideration for DAK but it would be more affordable for TDO to clone the attractions from Tokyo for MI than it would to develop new attractions for BK.

twebber55

Regardless of Pandora happening or not, Beastly Kingdomme is dead and not going to happen. Realistically, if Pandora falls through, then it's far more likely to get some variant of Mysterious Island in that space than it is to see BK -- not only was MI a more recent consideration for DAK but it would be more affordable for TDO to clone the attractions from Tokyo for MI than it would to develop new attractions for BK.
yep BK is as dead as a idea for a land can be

iheartdisney91

by the way im for avatar love the idea...however you think disney cares what this board thinks about any of their ideas.... im mean look at next gen...not one good comment about it but yet its happening
my comment was not only entitled just to this forum.
If "we" as Disney Park fans of this forum, have negative views
i'm positive we are not alone.
the negativity, or positivity of a certain idea does not stop at this website. That's it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
the negativity, or positivity of a certain idea does not stop at this website. That's it.

But as die hard fans, our opinions are biased. I have seen no evidence that the Avatar idea is universally disliked beyond the fan community.

iheartdisney91

But as die hard fans, our opinions are biased. I have seen no evidence that the Avatar idea is universally disliked beyond the fan community.
yeah thats true. sadly.
i just wanted my point to be that;
oppinions on the parks and Disney in general are not limited to this website.
thats all. :)

twebber55

i think a lot more people like the idea than you think or at least will give pandora a chance....protesters are always the loudest be it the wacko tree huggers or the wacko tea partyers

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom