Festival of Fantasy Parade coming to Magic Kingdom in 2014

StringBeanDream

Im not so sure about that. This is MKs first major, modern, big parade! We all know how the APs and die hards can cause utter chaos in the parks on special occasions.. That's not including the DL APs and die hards who Im sure are going to want to see FOF! as well as the usual spring break crowds.. Hopefully I am wrong but we will see.

Share a Dream was really major and modern when it premiered in its whole form in 2001. It had showstops with the globes spinning, "pixie dust", and a transformation for the evil queen. Then when they took out the showstops it went downhill from there...

GiveMeTheMusic

Im not so sure about that. This is MKs first major, modern, big parade! We all know how the APs and die hards can cause utter chaos in the parks on special occasions.. That's not including the DL APs and die hards who Im sure are going to want to see FOF! as well as the usual spring break crowds.. Hopefully I am wrong but we will see.

LOL - few, if any, DLR APs are going to fly to WDW just to see the parade. Very few people plan around a parade, so it'll be packed the first couple days and then it will just as crowded as it always is at parade time. That's why MK/TDO management so smugly kept CADCT running for 12 years - if people still line up to see it, why change it? The same mentality has kept Disney's Zombie Electrical Parade running for 40+ years.

Cesar R M

LOL - few, if any, DLR APs are going to fly to WDW just to see the parade. Very few people plan around a parade, so it'll be packed the first couple days and then it will just as crowded as it always is at parade time. That's why MK/TDO management so smugly kept CADCT running for 12 years - if people still line up to see it, why change it? The same mentality has kept Disney's Zombie Electrical Parade running for 40+ years.
I liked the electro :(
unfortunately.. I missed a part of it when I went D:

Crazydisneyfanluke

I don't think that will happen. Most guests don't plan trips around a parade and most guests honestly won't even know that this is a brand new parade. They'll just be lining up as usual for the 3 pm parade...or whatever time it ends up being.
I actually planned it just to go see the parade ;)
Hopefully something happens on the March 16th. The date has been thrown around awhile back.

etwtec

I think if they do change the time from 3pm till lets say 5pm, you will see a lot more locals filling the parade route. Many locals seem to come to the parks in the evenings after work and when its not so hot during the Spring and Summer months.

LongtimeReader

Quick question, why can't they do the Fantasmic lifts but during Block Party Bash's run they kept the lifts in that choreography but I know those dancers weren't equity. I just always wondered how that worked.

I don't know anything about BPB's contracts vs. Fantasmic's. Heck I'm not event sure that the reason Snow isn't lifted is because of a union intervention. I was just commenting on why the speculation on making a quick fix wasn't as simple as was being suggested. There could be myriads of other reasons Snow isn't lifted anymore, perhaps someone in Fantasmic would know better.

I do believe the stunt folks were equity in BPB, whereas the street folks were not, but don't quote me on that.

LongtimeReader

Isn't Ariel in VOTLM a union gig? So does that mean that all performers in that role across WDW are unionized? I'm not sure that I buy that (though it certainly seems to make sense under union logic, where they want as many members as possible)

It just makes no sense to me why a singer and someone doing meet & greets at dinner need the same union support. Yes, they are playing the same character, but they have very different roles that are essentially unrelated to each other
I don't mean that anyone playing Snow has to be Equity. I mean anyone who plays Snow in FANTASMIC would be. Which would then eliminate her from being allowed to play Snow or any other princess in a non-Equity position. She could definitely go and be Ariel in VOTLM or any other Equity role, character or not, should she pass an audition for it. Sorry for the confusion.

LongtimeReader

So to sum it up what does all this mean for FOF? Very watered down choreography? No much use of the swings, etc?
It means that whatever the unions agree upon is OK. I'm sure it is reviewed beforehand as much as possible to be sure it is within the proper parameters. It should still be able to be dynamic if done correctly. Just because it is a non-Equity role doesn't mean it has to be dumb. (FOTLK's floor dancers and stilt walkers are a pretty good example)

wdwfan22

It's still a parade which will bring a busy first couple of days since Cast Members will come and locals, then it will go back to the normal everyday parade crowd. Disneyland APs are not going to be flocking to Magic Kingdom just to see a parade especially since the majority of them would have fo buy a ticket.

Jose

larger version of Diablo's costume photo
Bf9LCpkCQAE_m6K.png:large

GrantR

It's so exciting. An insider I know was talking about how studio rehearsals have almost finished (blocking, routines etc) and she says it looks "SPECTACULAR".

Last edited:

Sped2424

They have done parades on this scale before at least at the studios,
Disney-Parade-HercParade02.jpg
'
Hercules parade, the Aladdin parade, the mulan parade just to name a few. These never caused traffic jams, also consider that the parades are running every day several times a day. Meaning if you miss one sure enough you can see it whenever the next time is that you go, simply put there is no reason to be there opening day. Where as the villain night that did cause issues with annual pass holders and traffic was a one time thing. I am sure this will be a lovely parade, but even so they have done this level of quality (And most likely above considering how half of these floats are just brought over) before. It wasn't until the early 2000's I believe that the parades here at wdw began to suck eggs.

SpectroMan93

Two out of eight is not half. And they're two brought over from Tokyo, so it's not like they aren't quality floats. Share a Dream Come True Parade wasn't a bad parade either, it just ran waaaaayyy too long. After nearly 13 years of the same parade while every other Disney park outside Orlando was receiving new ones, I think people forget that MK used to be up there with them in show quality. Before the early 2000's, most MK parades ran for no more than 5 years before being replaced. I doubt they will ever go back to that standard, but I can honestly say that Festival of Fantasy looks like a parade I wouldn't mind seeing run for 10 years.

Last edited:

Sped2424

Two out of eight is not half. And they're two brought over from Tokyo, so it's not like they aren't quality floats. Share a Dream Come True Parade wasn't a bad parade either, it just ran waaaaayyy too long. After nearly 13 years of the same parade while every other Disney park outside Orlando was receiving new ones, I think people forget that MK used to be up there with them in show quality. Before the early 2000's, most MK parades ran for no more than 5 years before being replaced. I doubt they will ever go back to that standard, but I can honestly say that Festival of Fantasy looks like a parade I wouldn't mind seeing run for 10 years.
tumblr_mxxi7kJSVs1s0c4z4o1_1280.jpg

I believe this is 3 floats could be more towards the end. But 3 out of what I now count as 8 is a good chunk. Hopefully the soundtrack is new.

SpectroMan93

Technically yes, Dumbo/Pinocchio is two floats, but they are linked together as one unit. But that still doesn't change the fact that they are quality floats. Remember the Magic used floats from the Aladdin and Lion King parades, and the Festival of the Lion King subsequently uses the Lion King floats, yet that doesn't make it a cheap show. And from what I can gather from the bits and pieces given out on this thread, the soundtrack will be mostly new, and according to insiders, quite gorgeous.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom