February 2016 Disney World ticket price increases and new tiered 1 day tickets

MuteSuperstar

I don't get the general entitlement and outrage though. Send a message with your dollar by not going.

A lot of us are doing just that. I don't understand how it is "entitlement" to be frustrated and even angry with the way things are going, but whatever. Me and the "Disney is a business, mmmkay" people will just never see eye to eye on this one. And that's fine.

ParentsOf4

You think (or do you think they believe) they are at equilibrium? And any higher $$$ would decrease Demand?***Edit*** I meant Quantity Demanded, not Demand.

And, thank you for pointing out the malarkey of "improving experience"! I should have pointed out this is clearly BS and in no way did I or do I believe this was an effort to better customer experience. Clearly they saw meat on the bone and grabbed it.
Disney recognizes the value of its brand and the need to protect it. In this sense, there might have been some more "meat on the bone" but it was not worth risking chipping a tooth by taking a bigger bite. ;)

What's brilliant about Disney's rollout is that by announcing seasonal pricing for one-day tickets the day before all increases took effect, Disney guaranteed that this would be the headline. Relatively few buy one-day tickets so the public's reaction could very well be, "So what?", not realizing that hidden behind it is the largest multiday price increase in a decade. :greedy:

John

I think Iger believes this is the perfect time to slap a double digit increase in park tickets. Attendance has never been higher. With the drain on profits from SDL and DLP ( isnt that what we have been told? ) being propped up by cuts and now a hefty increase he will still have a wonderful next quarter. Quarter after that he will reap the rewards of lower operating cost. Avatar opens and sees a uptick in attendance. The guy has it figured out till he turns in his keys and skips away on a road of gold.

Anyone want to bet Iger doesnt leave till SW opens?....anyone?

olie64

A lot of us are doing just that. I don't understand how it is "entitlement" to be frustrated and even angry with the way things are going, but whatever. Me and the "Disney is a business, mmmkay" people will just never see eye to eye on this one. And that's fine.
Preview

;)

Pretty sure that what Iger like in the office.

BrianLo

Just for the record, I too haven't been for years. The place is very, very expensive. The Canadian dollar took a dive so it's in reality about 40-50% more expensive for us than 2012.

I'm also frustrated that the price is outpacing investment and yet the crowds are higher than ever. Disney is being rewarded for being lazy and everyone making annual, biannual or quarterly visits and complaining about it are a large part of the problem. The public is just as much to blame as is Disney's general bad behaviour with capex projects at WDW.

Fortunately, there are other Disney park options worldwide, and non-Disney ones in Orlando.

ParentsOf4

When I went during Christmas week this year, I realized I was actually getting more during that time though. There are fireworks, shows, and other entertainment that you can only see if you're there those specific days. There was always something going on right in front of me, surround the park fireworks, Santa Claus in the lobby of the resort, singing acts, special displays in the resorts, there's a lot more going on during those peak days that isn't offered on the non-peak days.
Your post reminded me of a recent experience.

In December 2015, I broke a decades-old self-pledge and took my family to WDW during Christmas for the first time. We wanted to say goodbye to Osborne's and ended up visiting 3 parks (avoiding the Magic Kingdom) on Christmas Eve, our only theme parks day. What struck my family was how the parks generally felt no more crowded than when we visited in late September, supposedly WDW's "slow" season.

The idea that WDW needs seasonal pricing at anywhere other than the Magic Kingdom is horse hockey.

olie64

@ParentsOf4 or anyone else, do we have any idea what percentage of park attendance is foreign tourists?

As long as there's a growing market for foreign tourists, I don't really think Disney cares if domestic consumers "vote with their dollars."

I don't know that number but I know a bunch seem to come from Brazil and its economy is tanking. With the US dollar being so strong I bet we see a decrease in foreign tourist this year.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom