February 2016 Disney World ticket price increases and new tiered 1 day tickets

Nmoody1

Anyone that thinks surge pricing will make the parks less busy is crazy. People will still come, it will still be ridiculous in the Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios will still be a half day park and lines will still be unbearable across the resort... only difference is you are paying more for it. I'll say it again:

YOU ARE PAYING MORE FOR A PARK EXPERIENCE WHEN CROWDS ARE AT THIER HIGHEST.

It doesn't matter how you dress if up, Disney are charging a higher price for a less enjoyable experience... unless they move to not showing fireworks and parades in non - peak season... what else are you getting for your extra money on a busy day? Extra shows? Extra characters? Nope.

Bob Iger has his legacy. He screwed everyone's vacation!

No Name

The biggest mistake people make is to expect other people to behave rationally. Very few people will be aware of the tiered pricing until AFTER they have already picked their dates for vacation (and many people are already driven by school/work schedules). The parks will not be any statistically significant less busy during the peak periods only more expensive.

And it's clear from the cuts coming across the board to labor hours, that in value seasons, WDW is going to be staffed in a manner that generates wait times equivalent to regular season.

So there will be plenty of losers.

You're right, many people do not behave rationally. People think in a "now" mentality. That's why so many people go during peak seasons. They weren't thinking about the crowds when they booked their trip, they were thinking about how much it cost and what they'd be missing at home. At the time, they (especially first-timers) weren't seeing any disadvantage to going in the summer, in fact, they were just seeing the advantages of their kids not missing school or sports, maybe them not missing work, etc. Only smart or experienced people, or big planners, think about something like crowds levels, and you're right that most people do not fit under that umbrella.

Now, because they have to choose their date from a calandar that clearly indicates the tiered pricing, they can clearly see and understand that their subtotal on the bottom of the website page is higher/lower. After someone already picks their dates, they very well may be inclined to change them when they see the affect it'll have on their wallet. Even the most short-term, winging-it, not-very-smart type of people can clearly see this negative to going during peak season. I believe that'll be the factor that gets a larger crowd to rethink when they go.

And less staffing that results in rides not running to full capacity? Well that should not be a long-term trend because if it is, crowd levels will eventually drop across the board regardless of this pricing :D.

TP2000

I've updated the following to include today's price increase:

View attachment 132653

I always enjoy your graphs and stats here, thank you.

Another line you could add to that graph that would help explain the price increases is the average annual attendance. You could just show the average attendance for Magic Kingdom Park each year, instead of trying to add up the three or four parks combined, as Magic Kingdom attendance is truly the bellweather stat for attendance.

matt9112

I am ok with this. At least it is not a general price increase and it could be far more complicated, but I am sure it will be more complicated in the future.

So is Disney pinching every dollar they can from guests? Rewarding those who come off peak season with lower costs tickets while hopefully decreasing guest attendance in peak season? Or just a bit of both?

theres no discount for off peak...its solely an upcharge for peak.

betty rose

I'm kind of surprised they didn't include the weekends, at least Saturdays, in the Peak Category considering those days are crazy busy. Last night, we had FPs to HM and it took us 40 minutes from the time we scanned at the first FP scanner until we finished the ride. The ride stopped twice while we were waiting in the queue right before getting on the ride and then 3 more times while on the ride. They were also very long stops. Then, when we exited, the FP line was backed up all the way back to the first scanners, with zig zagging by the carriage and since there was no room past the first scanners, the line before the first scanners was backed up past the HM shop. Somebody even commented that the FP line was as long as the regular line. I don't know if this is due to the crowds, fewer CMs, fewer maintenance workers or what but it was the longest HM FP line I have ever seen.
Thanks for the info. My plan for going in October is now changing to going to Universal. I've never been there, and frankly I want to see and experience what they have to offer.

Cesar R M

An ad similar to this would be absolute gold.

For those who don't know, the new Xbox was going to have all these convoluted hoops to jump through to be able to share games and play used games.

that was one of the most hilarious and perfect counter ads I seen. I still remember when it was freshly released.
Xbox also got embarrassed by the price on launch as well.
Microsoft was forced to DROP the prices and unlocking games shortly after.

Cesar R M

Now, I wonder these things:

1. How will these price hikes impact the hotel attendances. The money from paying more per ticket will have to come from somewhere.. either debt or reducing food/snacks/merchandise.
  2. Will more Hotels convert into full fledged DVC to lock down people and keep the hotels profitable because of this hemorrhaging? Could they also be starting to make "moderate" DVCs?
  3. Will we see more people flocking to third party hotels and leaving Disney hotels out of the options?
  4. Will there be also price hikes on the DLCs as well? I remember someone said a rumor about potential price hikes as well, some of them REALLY BIG. Making DLC reaching prices of the luxury cruise lines (silversea, seabourne, Crystal, Regent etc..).

Dad 2 M & M

I mean this in the nicest way possible but please pull your head out of the sand. Con job from Disney aside, this will have almost no effect on redistributing WDW attendance. This is a pure money grab.

Those with the flexibility to travel during less busy times of year already do so.

All this increase does in punish young families without that flexibility.
I mean this to be nice as well; so Disney could raise prices HIGHER before a decrease in attendance? If there is still some price elasticity (of Demand) here, why don't they increase prices higher and capture it? Scared the outcry will be worse than it is now? Or are they looking NOT to edge out those who can barely make it down now?

Anyone that thinks surge pricing will make the parks less busy is crazy. People will still come, it will still be ridiculous in the Magic Kingdom, Hollywood Studios will still be a half day park and lines will still be unbearable across the resort... only difference is you are paying more for it. I'll say it again:

It doesn't matter how you dress if up, Disney are charging a higher price for a less enjoyable experience... unless they move to not showing fireworks and parades in non - peak season... what else are you getting for your extra money on a busy day? Extra shows? Extra characters? Nope.

And yet attendance still grows, and many on this thread are predicting no decrease with higher prices?? So Disney could raise prices more and really go for the $$$ grab, right?

You're right, many people do not behave rationally. People think in a "now" mentality. That's why so many people go during peak seasons. They weren't thinking about the crowds when they booked their trip, they were thinking about how much it cost and what they'd be missing at home. At the time, they (especially first-timers) weren't seeing any disadvantage to going in the summer, in fact, they were just seeing the advantages of their kids not missing school or sports, maybe them not missing work, etc. Only smart or experienced people, or big planners, think about something like crowds levels, and you're right that most people do not fit under that umbrella.

Now, because they have to choose their date from a calandar that clearly indicates the tiered pricing, they can clearly see and understand that their subtotal on the bottom of the website page is higher/lower. After someone already picks their dates, they very well may be inclined to change them when they see the affect it'll have on their wallet. Even the most short-term, winging-it, not-very-smart type of people can clearly see this negative to going during peak season. I believe that'll be the factor that gets a larger crowd to rethink when they go.

And less staffing that results in rides not running to full capacity? Well that should not be a long-term trend because if it is, crowd levels will eventually drop across the board regardless of this pricing :D.
Disney drives at peeps emotions.......if more people thought (instead of "felt") this price increase MIGHT drive down attendance. Sad thing is some of those who think Disney is just in it for $$$ don't seem to understand if price increase doesn't lead to attendance decrease, the price increase wasn't high enough...if this is just a money grab, right?

Nmoody1

I mean this to be nice as well; so Disney could raise prices HIGHER before a decrease in attendance? If there is still some price elasticity (of Demand) here, why don't they increase prices higher and capture it? Scared the outcry will be worse than it is now? Or are they looking NOT to edge out those who can barely make it down now?

And yet attendance still grows, and many on this thread are predicting no decrease with higher prices?? So Disney could raise prices more and really go for the $$$ grab, right?

Disney drives at peeps emotions.......if more people thought (instead of "felt") this price increase MIGHT drive down attendance. Sad thing is some of those who think Disney is just in it for $$$ don't seem to understand if price increase doesn't lead to attendance decrease, the price increase wasn't high enough...if this is just a money grab, right?

They could and they probably will.

It's just an absolute joke that they use upcoming experiences such as Avatar and Star Wars as a justification - avatar is at least a year away (aka 2 more increases in price), Star wars even further.

What is absolutely crazy is that you as a consumer are defending Disney. If you work in thier finance department or are a major shareholder then why do you feel it necessary to defend the increases.

My point was not 'what a cash grab' this is... I see the whole set up as a cash grab (after all it is a business blah blah blah). My argument is that the quality in experience has not improved to justify proce increases, and that it's absolutely crazy that you will.now be forced to pay more money on a peak day - meaning a day off peak costs you less and you get more attractions in and less crowds around you, because, I am willing to lay all my bets that surge pricing will not spread out the crowds - just allow disney to make more money on its busier days. Now that, that's a cash grab!

ParentsOf4

I mean this to be nice as well; so Disney could raise prices HIGHER before a decrease in attendance? If there is still some price elasticity (of Demand) here, why don't they increase prices higher and capture it?
Because the real intention of this increase is not to drive attendance down; it's to drive profitability up.

Disney is raising prices to the maximum extent it calculates is viable without crossing the next price point and triggering an appreciable decline in demand.

As a for-profit corporation, Disney is expected to act within its own best interests. However, it's a load of malarkey to believe that Disney is doing this to improve the experience of its 'Guests'.

Dad 2 M & M

They could and they probably will.

It's just an absolute joke that they use upcoming experiences such as Avatar and Star Wars as a justification - avatar is at least a year away (aka 2 more increases in price), Star wars even further.

What is absolutely crazy is that you as a consumer are defending Disney. If you work in thier finance department or are a major shareholder then why do you feel it necessary to defend the increases.

My point was not 'what a cash grab' this is... I see the whole set up as a cash grab (after all it is a business blah blah blah). My argument is that the quality in experience has not improved to justify proce increases, and that it's absolutely crazy that you will.now be forced to pay more money on a peak day - meaning a day off peak costs you less and you get more attractions in and less crowds around you, because, I am willing to lay all my bets that surge pricing will not spread out the crowds - just allow disney to make more money on its busier days. Now that, that's a cash grab!
I'm with ya brotha! I wasn't, per se, defending Disney. I was saying, if the price increase didn't decrease the attendance, they could still raise the price higher and grab more $$$. It IS crazy that people will pay more for peak days and collectively this thread is predicting no decline in attendance!! If this is true, their finance department and major shareholders are bound to come back with more.....

Dad 2 M & M

Because the real intention of this increase is not to drive attendance down; it's to drive profitability up.

Disney is raising prices to the maximum extent it calculates is viable without crossing the next price point and triggering an appreciable decline in demand.

As a for-profit corporation, Disney is expected to act within its own best interests. However, it's a load of malarkey to believe that Disney is doing this to improve the experience of its 'Guests'.
You think (or do you think they believe) they are at equilibrium? And any higher $$$ would decrease Demand?***Edit*** I meant Quantity Demanded, not Demand.

And, thank you for pointing out the malarkey of "improving experience"! I should have pointed out this is clearly BS and in no way did I or do I believe this was an effort to better customer experience. Clearly they saw meat on the bone and grabbed it.

BrianLo

This is the way most other luxury industries work. Skiing, hotels, airlines, broadway plays, cruises, resort vacations. You'll have a better experience, less crowds and a cheaper overall price when crowds are lower. That's just the way these industries work. Theme parks were for some reason more the exception than the rule.

They are turning WDW into a luxury industry quite purposefully. Of course, the problem is that nothing actually changed in the interim from a quality standpoint (and in some ways got worse). I think most people agree with that.

Is WDW worth it? I guess that's for everyone here to decide. But they are quite unapologetically pricing people out of it. That's kind of the whole point though.

I don't get the general entitlement and outrage though. Send a message with your dollar by not going.

freediverdude

When I went during Christmas week this year, I realized I was actually getting more during that time though. There are fireworks, shows, and other entertainment that you can only see if you're there those specific days. There was always something going on right in front of me, surround the park fireworks, Santa Claus in the lobby of the resort, singing acts, special displays in the resorts, there's a lot more going on during those peak days that isn't offered on the non-peak days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom