February 2016 Disney World ticket price increases and new tiered 1 day tickets

Po'Rich

Wow! There is a $70.70 price increase on the basic 8-day ticket from 2014 prices (I last bought tickets right before the increase last year). That's a 26% increase in just 2 years. I guess this is Disney's answer to the increased crowds--keep raising the prices until people stop attending.

ParentsOf4

Some have noted that airlines and hotels have seasonal pricing, so why not Disney?

The fallacy of this comparison is that those industries have hard limits. There are only so many seats on a plane, so many hotel rooms. Adding aircraft or hotels for a few peak periods is highly inefficient, costs that are passed onto consumers.

WDW is different. Except for a select few days of the year, Disney's theme parks rarely reach capacity. Disney continues to sell admission tickets even when the parks become insufferably overcrowded. Disney does not face the same limits many other industries face. Yet those who recently have visited WDW know that long lines await even during "Value" days. WDW's ride capacity is now woefully inadequate throughout the year. Adding ride capacity makes the experience more pleasurable for all WDW Guests, a vital consideration for a vacation destination. It's time for Disney to seriously invest in WDW.

Furthermore, when consumers pay higher prices in other industries, they typically don't share their purchase. When they pay more to travel, they don't share their airline seat or hotel room. :eek:

At WDW, the opposite happens. Nearly all experiences are shared. Higher prices mean larger crowds, longer waits, and more frustration.

It would be one thing if Disney raised peak period ticket prices and simultaneously reduced the maximum number of Guests per day in order to "control crowds". (In part, Disney is presenting this as a crowd control measure.) Instead, Disney effectively has announced that Guests will pay for more for a less pleasurable experience.

This is not supply-and-demand. This is paying more for less. :(

DisUniversal

Seems like it's only a matter of time before you have to pay for your FP+ reservations. Maybe they'll give the first one free, and then start a tiered system by which each additional one costs a little more than the one before.

note2001

What a gig! Many of us that come here could write those columns. copy/paste copy/paste....well almost!
It's not poorly written, but I'm reading nothing new there. Seems Rick is just another forum follower. Coming from an analyst, I'd hope for some more info or at least a different viewpoint than just what we and other forums hash over.

Last edited:

betty rose

Seems like it's only a matter of time before you have to pay for your FP+ reservations. Maybe they'll give the first one free, and then start a tiered system by which each additional one costs a little more than the one before.
Before long, they will want you to pay extra to have sheets on your bed. Trash pick up, extra, towels, more money, more money , more money.

Sonconato

I'm kind of surprised they didn't include the weekends, at least Saturdays, in the Peak Category considering those days are crazy busy. Last night, we had FPs to HM and it took us 40 minutes from the time we scanned at the first FP scanner until we finished the ride. The ride stopped twice while we were waiting in the queue right before getting on the ride and then 3 more times while on the ride. They were also very long stops. Then, when we exited, the FP line was backed up all the way back to the first scanners, with zig zagging by the carriage and since there was no room past the first scanners, the line before the first scanners was backed up past the HM shop. Somebody even commented that the FP line was as long as the regular line. I don't know if this is due to the crowds, fewer CMs, fewer maintenance workers or what but it was the longest HM FP line I have ever seen.

John

Some have noted that airlines and hotels have seasonal pricing, so why not Disney?

The fallacy of this comparison is that those industries have hard limits. There are only so many seats on a plane, so many hotel rooms. Adding aircraft or hotels for a few peak periods is highly inefficient, costs that are passed onto consumers.

WDW is different. Except for a select few days of the year, Disney's theme parks rarely reach capacity. Disney continues to sell admission tickets even when the parks become insufferably overcrowded. Disney does not face the same limits many other industries face. Yet those who recently have visited WDW know that long lines await even during "Value" days. WDW's ride capacity is now woefully inadequate throughout the year. Adding ride capacity makes the experience more pleasurable for all WDW Guests, a vital consideration for a vacation destination. It's time for Disney to seriously invest in WDW.

Furthermore, when consumers pay higher prices in other industries, they typically don't share their purchase. When they pay more to travel, they don't share their airline seat or hotel room. :eek:

At WDW, the opposite happens. Nearly all experiences are shared. Higher prices mean larger crowds, longer waits, and more frustration.

It would be one thing if Disney raised peak period ticket prices and simultaneously reduced the maximum number of Guests per day in order to "control crowds". (In part, Disney is presenting this as a crowd control measure.) Instead, Disney effectively has announced that Guests will pay for more for a less pleasurable experience.

This is not supply-and-demand. This is paying more for less. :(

Also those companies which you mentioned have a much more competitive market in which to operate. The rumor now is that TDO wants to build more hotel rooms:confused: Pack even more guest in the parks?.For the next couple of years profits are going to be staggering ( Iger setting up his golden parachute ) while actual operating cost will be significantly lower. Cm hours being cut, menu's being homogenized, attractions closing, streetmosphere, entertainment. Would anyone like to argue that there is less to do today then there was a year ago? New things? sure there is. But is it an addition or a replacement? The cost to run the parks are dropping......as the price increases go up.

@Goofyernmost you commented on why everyone was getting upset? That this wouldnt impact most of us here. I think its safe to say that multi-day tickets are going up as well ( really what would be the point of increseing tickets if only less then 15% of guest would be included? as reported by @lentesta No, everyone will be impacted by these increases). Would you care to comment further?

John

It's not poorly written, but I'm reading nothing new there. Seems Rick is just another forum follower. Coming from an analyst, I'd hope for some more info or at least a different viewpoint than just what we and other forums hash over.

Never said it was poorly written, that was my point that it seems as though it was written with most of the view points taken from here. Almost verbatim, not that anyone else couldn't have the same view points. After reading many of his post I am convinced he is a regular. I think in fact that some of our more astute members like PO4 could in fact write a better column.

No Name

First of all, I like the Disney website's new step-by-step layout for buying tickets. Looks much nicer and I imagine it's easier for a first-timer to follow and understand.

You know why I like this tiered system? Because previously, in the busiest times of the year, the customer was paying the same amount for a worse experience (worse because of the crowds and long wait times). Now, the customer is paying more for a less-worse or maybe even better experience (because the crowds will be lower). So the value theoretically shouldn't be any higher or lower now, it's just a different ratio of money to experience. You still get the same value for your trip while Disney makes a bit more money in the end. I would say it's a win-win but it's closer to a tie-win, still though, in the end nobody should lose from this.

So theoretically, this should balance out the crowds pretty evenly for all days of the year, but we all know that's not going to happen right away. It's definitely not going to happen until they expand this to multi-day tickets, but even then, it'll take time to get the prices right. Some guests, depending on the day and what they want to do, will be adversely affected by it. But people on here have always been saying (and I agree) that crowd levels play a big role in people's satisfaction. So in the grand scheme of things, it should help more people (including both guests and Co.) than it hurts, which is the goal of any change.

JohnByers

Not sure it's already been posted elsewhere but the Sentinal has examples of pricing for the multi-day pass increases as well. Glad I purchased yesterday (thanks to this site!). I think we're done after this because this is out of control. $35 more per 10 day for this family of 6 is nearly the cost an entire park hopper just a few years ago!

We bought our kids their 6 day tickets yesterday too and very glad we did! DW and I have AP's since we like going more than they do lol.

BoarderPhreak

Granted, my pricing is locked in for an upcoming April 1-7 trip as I booked it before the increase... But I'm thinking of cancelling it (for multiple reasons). This might be a good time, just to send a message.

DisUniversal

First of all, I like the Disney website's new step-by-step layout for buying tickets. Looks much nicer and I imagine it's easier for a first-timer to follow and understand.

You know why I like this tiered system? Because previously, in the busiest times of the year, the customer was paying the same amount for a worse experience (worse because of the crowds and long wait times). Now, the customer is paying more for a less-worse or maybe even better experience (because the crowds will be lower). So the value theoretically shouldn't be any higher or lower now, it's just a different ratio of money to experience. You still get the same value for your trip while Disney makes more money in the end. I would say it's a win-win but it's more like a tie-win, still though, in the end nobody should lose from this.

So theoretically, this should balance out the crowds pretty evenly for all days of the year, but we all know that's not going to happen right away. It's definitely not going to happen until they expand this to multi-day tickets, but even then, it'll take time to get the prices right. Some guests, depending on the day and what they want to do, will be adversely affected by it. But people on here have always been saying (and I agree) that crowd levels play a big role in people's satisfaction. So in the grand scheme of things, it should help more people (including both guests and Co.) than it hurts, which is the goal of any change.
Theory is one thing, reality is another. For the most part, the average visitor will likely being paying more for a worse experience as I really don't think this will have much impact on crowds.

Goofyernmost

Also those companies which you mentioned have a much more competitive market in which to operate. The rumor now is that TDO wants to build more hotel rooms:confused: Pack even more guest in the parks?.For the next couple of years profits are going to be staggering ( Iger setting up his golden parachute ) while actual operating cost will be significantly lower. Cm hours being cut, menu's being homogenized, attractions closing, streetmosphere, entertainment. Would anyone like to argue that there is less to do today then there was a year ago? New things? sure there is. But is it an addition or a replacement? The cost to run the parks are dropping......as the price increases go up.

@Goofyernmost you commented on why everyone was getting upset? That this wouldnt impact most of us here. I think its safe to say that multi-day tickets are going up as well ( really what would be the point of increasing tickets if only less then 15% of guest would be included? as reported by @lentesta No, everyone will be impacted by these increases). Would you care to comment further?
It's a given that the general price of tickets will rise. However, the comment was concerning the "Tiered" system which will not really affect most of us that go for more then one day. Disney raising prices can, at this point, be compared to breathing. It's gonna happen regularly. Getting upset about that is just a waste of time. We pay it or we don't, we control that. We don't control what Disney does until what they do really cuts into their income and profit. I certainly wouldn't want to attempt to figure that out when you consider how those words have been spoken after every price increase in the last 20 years. Attendance has never declined due to that. In fact... if anything it has increased. Standard economic "rules" do not apply to a place like Disney. This is an expense that is always weighed against demand. As long as demand remains where it is, there is no limit known or guideline other then the oldest of all economic laws, the one called supply and demand. The demand is very high and the supply is, well there is only one Disney. I would think that the math would be easy on this one.

NOTE: for those that seem to have a problem seeing the difference between basic reality and approval... I do not approve of what is happening especially in the sorry state that WDW is currently in, however, I recognize that it is not any unique business decision, that Walt Disney no longer has any influence on what or how the parks are run and that it is always our choice to accept and pay or disapprove and pay or disapprove and stay home or find someplace else in the world worthy of seeing. It's a big world and there is plenty to see besides a Disney Park. Explore your world! P.S. The word "your" is used in the generic sense and not necessarily directed at anyone personally.

Last edited:

JUFL2019

It's a given that the general price of tickets will rise. However, the comment was concerning the "Tiered" system which will not really affect most of us that go for more then one day. Disney raising prices can, at this point, be compared to breathing. It's gonna happen regularly. Getting upset about that is just a waste of time. We pay it or we don't, we control that. We don't control what Disney does until what they do really cuts into their income and profit. I certainly wouldn't want to attempt to figure that out when you consider how those words have been spoken after every price increase in the last 20 years. Attendance has never declined due to that. In fact... if anything it has increased. Standard economic "rules" do not apply to a place like Disney. This is an expense that is always weighed against demand. As long as demand remains where it is, there is no limit known or guideline other then the oldest of all economic laws, the one called supply and demand. The demand is very high and the supply is, well there is only one Disney. I would think that the math would be easy on this one.

A lot of people that continually complain about the price increase and "threaten never to return" like to ignore the fact the parks continue to get busier. They also like to ignore the fact that going to Disney isn't some god given right or some "need". Disney can charge what ever they want as long as people continue to pay it. And people are paying it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom