Favorite WDW Restaurants from the Past

daverube

62 posts and, although the OP was asking about "places" and not "items, I'm shocked that no one mentioned the Columbia Harbor House bread bowl..... :shrug:

I agree that the Monte Cristo was good, but the bread bowls were MUCH better.... :slurp:

my 2 cents...

dave

Mrs.Toad

Glad to hear the GF Cafe is going strong! Lunch, breakfast, dinner and even room service, was always a favorite over the years. I hope their French onion soup is still killer too. GF was the first place I ever had that soup and it was the beginning of a long love affair with French onion soup. Every time I try it somewhere I always compare it to the taste of GF Cafe.

LiveyMouse22

Although it is not gone.. I miss Pinocchio's old menu when it had all the good stuff with like cheese fries and stuff yum yum yum :)
Now it has like salads and stuff and that's it :( so we go to Peco's Bill :D

Mrs.Toad

Years ago before Casey's Corner there were hot dog stands that sold foot long hot dogs in between the Main Street stores. They had white Victorian wrought iron table sets and flower carts. They actually tasted a bit better than Casey's and it was our first stop upon entering the Kingdom.

Also, I'm getting nervous now. I have a trip in July coming up and I'm seeing comments on the boards about the chicken fingers being different.

It's enough about the steak changes I've been hearing about...

NOOOOOOOOOO!

I lived on them between sit-downs over the years. I hit every land to eat them and raided Gasparilla sometimes two in the morning to soothe a craving.

Please tell me it's not true!!!!!

They had a lightly spiced crunchy coating. Never greasy. You could see and taste the crushed black pepper in the coating. The chicken was all white meat and delish!!!

yankspy

Years ago before Casey's Corner there were hot dog stands that sold foot long hot dogs in between the Main Street stores. They had white Victorian wrought iron table sets and flower carts. They actually tasted a bit better than Casey's and it was our first stop upon entering the Kingdom.

Also, I'm getting nervous now. I have a trip in July coming up and I'm seeing comments on the boards about the chicken fingers being different.

It's enough about the steak changes I've been hearing about...

NOOOOOOOOOO!

I lived on them between sit-downs over the years. I hit every land to eat them and raided Gasparilla sometimes two in the morning to soothe a craving.

Please tell me it's not true!!!!!

They had a lightly spiced crunchy coating. Never greasy. You could see and taste the crushed black pepper in the coating. The chicken was all white meat and delish!!!
You mean this area? You can see a table in the back. I remember that they did have a hot dog cart there for a while. That used to be a nice secluded place to sit and relax.

It isn't a restaurant, but I always mourn the loss of the monte cristos from the Columbia Harbour House. They were my absolute favorite.

Another vote from me for the Monte Cristo. I've been on a quest since 1983 to find one as good anywhere. However, I would have sworn that I had it at the restaurant that's now Tony's (Town Square Cafe, sponsored by Oscar Meyer?). I also loved the fried cheese at the Garden Grill in THE Land back in the early 1980's.

toystorymaniacs

62 posts and, although the OP was asking about "places" and not "items, I'm shocked that no one mentioned the Columbia Harbor House bread bowl..... :shrug:

I agree that the Monte Cristo was good, but the bread bowls were MUCH better.... :slurp:

my 2 cents...

dave
I thought my husband was going to cry the first time we went and the bread bowls were gone!

Mrs.Toad

Yeahhhhh!

Thanks, Yankspy!

That's it. And I believe that was on the left side of Main Street if you are facing the castle. I was small so I remember the hot dog carts and tables and chairs were on the other side of the street.

I have pictures of the carts from the 80's because we were obsessed with the dogs. I have to dig for them when I have some time.

That just brought back some memories. Even the mustard was tasty.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Tony's Town Square used to serve up some yummy cinnamon buns while you were waiting for your breakfast order to come.

My DH would get his big bacon eggs and all the trimmings breakfast, and I would just order a bowl of cereal or something, and make the cinnamon buns my breakfast!!

aladdin2007

This was probably already mentioned but I loved the old polynesian cafe where kona cafe is now. What was it called? They used to have the best milkshakes, we would always go there at night after leaving the magic kingdom before heading home. The atmosphere and setup was disney retro 70s (i loved it its what i remember most there as a kid) and comfortable and classic. Now its just like an airport, open and noisy and nowhere near as cozy as the old one.
Ive searched all over for pictures of that place, does anyone know where I can find some? Thanks

Mrs.Toad

Great thread!

Adventureland Veranda....a great place. Very beautiful. And I feel that every land should have one table service at least. Especially Adventureland. It is so lovely and so scenic. With the popularity of pirates...the possiblities are endless. Seafood...tropical....grilled items. Why not a table service place and the Veranda spot would be perfect.

Plaza Pavillion had great counter service. I hope someone revives the SKYWAY thread from a couple of days ago. (I would but I posted last) That would be great for table service.

I liked the menu at King Stefan's better than the current incarnation.

Flager's at the Floridian was great.

I also loved Alfredo di Roma. I had the fettucine alfredo and it was fantastic. I haven't been to Tutto yet...but some of the reviews are disheartening.

surfsupdon

My thoughts exactly--they got rid of the foot longs and the Main Street Fklower Mkt to expand the Emporium. Foot long carts used to be all over MK---they have since been replaced by turkey legs.

Those foot longs were the best, we have many family pictures of us holding our foot longs up.

disney dawg

I know that the Dolphin isn't technically a Disney Resort, but they used to have a great place there called Harry's Bar and Safari Grill (it was replaced by Shula's). The food was fantastic and there were some really unique entrees & appetizers.

daverube

Another vote from me for the Monte Cristo. I've been on a quest since 1983 to find one as good anywhere. However, I would have sworn that I had it at the restaurant that's now Tony's (Town Square Cafe, sponsored by Oscar Meyer?). I also loved the fried cheese at the Garden Grill in THE Land back in the early 1980's.

Next time that you're in Florida, head over to Daytona and take the Port Orange exit. Take a left and go all the way down Dunlawton to South Atlantic Ave (the street before you get to the beach). Take a right and travel a couple of miles until you get to the North Turn beach bar/restaurant. They have a Monte Cristo. Of course, I've eaten part of one this decade, so I have a few more years to wait until I can eat another part of one. ;)

On another high note, they also have bread bowls with clam chowder.

my 2 cents...

dave

Chrononymous

oh Bonfamilles in Port Orleans...how I miss you so!

I remember my first trip with my spouse (when he was just my BF) and we had been doing all the character buffets for breakfast, because we had a plan that gave us breakfast free.

On the very last day, we decided to try Bonfamilles because we were staying right there (well...at the Riverside, which was then called Dixie Landings) and were so surprised at how elegant, charming, friendly and delicious it was!

It was like our only grown-up meal on the trip...and I remember the free warm beignets, and the strawberries and cream, and the delightful service like it was yesterday.

Sigh.

Mrs. Jobson

What about the food court in The Land? We used to love those huge baked potatoes and barbeque chicken sandwiches were so yummy. :slurp: My husband misses the Chicken Parmesan.

Someone mentioned the rest. in Poly. It used to be so good. It was buffett style. Located at the arcade. Right beside the Neverland Club.

I also miss the rest. that was where Kona is now. They had the best burgers. Our parents would give us their CC and we would go and chow down.

We loved the Top of the World in Contemporary. We used to eat so much at that buffett for breakfast we couldn't eat lunch.

I miss those days!:cry:

MinnieGirl33

Concourse Steakhouse
Soundstage - best variety of characters, especially for little boys
Kona - before it was "Kona" - had the best egg rolls!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom