FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

dovetail65

It sorta depends where here is, no?

Alaska/Hawaii or GA/SC/NC/VA? How often Americans visit WDW probably varies by where they live.

I'm sure it also matters how strictly we mean 'once a year.' Literally once a year? Roughly every 12-15 months? (each of you might be seeing this a little differently.)
Chapek already said 17 of the 20 to 21 million visitors are one and done. There are other sites that bare this out. So no, most Americans actually never go to Disney in their lives and those that do go, go once. It's only us people that love Disney find that hard to believe.

Of the other 4 or 5 million that go more than once especially within the AP group which is a small number at WDW(unlike at Disney land wjere on any day 50% of park goers were seasonpass holder like at 6 flags)spending is uneven with most hardly spending anything at all in the parks. In other words the one and done spend more Compared to the 17 million one and done,Chapek said thai too.

This is why they will charge more and change things because most people won't be going back anyhow. Chapek literally illuded to this. Thankfully WDW is a different animal that relies on AP for a couple months a yesr simply because of demographics, that is the only reason WDW Ap aren't ending in the near future.

And to those people that say they had to plan 30 days ahead they never did, that was a benefit and my favorite part.

So we have to reserve a park but we can't reserve our fp. Talk about stress having to do FP right at door opening with everyone on thier phone clicking away not knownig what direction they are going to have to
Oh, I think we jumped that shark some time ago. I know it is so normalized around here that some folks have rationalized just how insane planning a WDW trip has become, but when you try explaining it to a "normie", their eyes start to glaze over and they can't believe that people go through all that to just get a meal or a ride in a theme park.
The Fast pass system the way it was simple as pie. Anyone that can use a smart phone could use it. No one forced people to plan 30 or 60 days out either. Anyone complaing could use FP the same day and get thier fast passes then, they just dont want others to be able to plan ahead becausethey feel like they may not get what they want because others planned. After 4 major trips I would FP most times the day before, many times after buying a place in FL I would FP the morning before we left, but to have to find out my FP after being in the park, I hate that.

The reality is there are certain people there dont want to plan and Chapek appears to be one of those. Why do people keep saying it stupid to have to get FP 30 or 60 days out you never had to!

I feel like now it may be a lottery rather than letting us humans plan. If I wanted an FP and couldn't get it I rearranged my trip now, If they implement this like Paris that goes out the window.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I’m just wondering what the last major initiative that Disney launched that increased guest satisfaction?

What are we pointing to here thats gives us any hope that this will be a net positive?

I am fortunate to be able to afford paying for as many fast passes as I have to but other members of my travel parties don’t have the same financial situation.

This will make travel awkward for people who travel with friends or extended family who may have a lower income.

Do you pay for everyone or wait in standby lines all day?
It doesn’t matter what they launch that “increases guest satisfaction” if nobody balks

Willmark

I’m actually going to Universal for the first time in my next trip and planning to stay in a premier hotel because of the Express Pass. Feels like an insane value compared to Disney, especially for ~$300/nightC though their hotels are a lot more appropriately priced than Disney.
Because it is.

The Flavor-aide drinkers around here just can't fathom that however.

havoc315

Standby pass as it exists today is a line shortener to make the physical lines shorter due to distancing for Covid. I don’t know how they plan to use it, but it is being pitched as once the line gets too long it‘s activated so guests have more time to spend in shops and less time in lines. If they took a 60+ minute standby wait and told you to come back in 2 hours only to still wait 60+ minutes what would the point be? I don’t think 20 mins is likely but 30 to 40 probably makes sense.

The line skip option if it stays fully per ride will only be profitable for a handful of rides in each park at best. Nobody is paying $40 for a family of 4 to ride Pooh or Peter Pan with no wait.

Actually… yes, there are people who would pay $40 to skip a 60 minute line at Pan.
It’s just a question of how many people.

Just as there are families who will pay $4,000 for a line skipping VIP tour.

And skipping a 180 minute line at FOP will cost more than $10 per person.

MrPromey

Because crowding isn't just a function of people vs attractions. Disneyland gets crowded with less crowds due to it's physical lack of space. Adventureland anyone? NOS water front?

You're so bent on this attraction capacity thing you are ignoring everything else.

MK has excess capacity that is under utilized... the problem is those attractions aren't that popular. And many replacements have proven equally mediocre.

Yes the park needs more - but this is not some unilateral solution. More attractions = more overhead.
Who is ignoring things? I made specific comment about physical space at Disneland in that very post you're responding to.

and I still stand by what I said at the end of that post:

Programs to help manage crowds are not intrinsically bad but a decade of over-reliance on them has created a problem and continuing to look to them as the primary solution to capacity problems is bad if you're a paying guest.

And yeah, more attractions means more overhead.

As a paying guest who sees diminishing value in what I'm paying for while prices continue to go up, I'm okay with Disney footing a little more overhead.

They're not a charity, right?

They're the ones that have the problem with that - not me.

I fully agree that crowding isn't just a function of people vs attractions because we also have a problem with our own Adventureland and Fantasyland bottlenecks ... because we already have too many people walking around.

I fail to see how getting people out of lines so more of them can be walking around at once does anything to make this situation better. I'm open to be shown how I'm wrong on this one, as long as there are no steak and salad analogies used to explain it, though. ;)

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Chapek already said 17 of the 20 to 21 million visitors are one and done. There are other sites that bare this out. So no, most Americans actually never go to Disney in ther lives and those that do go once. It's only us people that love Disney find it hard to believe.

Of the other 4. or 5 million that go more than once especially within the AP group which is a small number at WDW(unlike at Disney land wjere on any day 50% of park goers were seasonpass holder like at 6 flags)spending is uneven with most hardly spending anything being spent in park Compared to the 17 million one and done.

This is why they will charge more and change things because most people won't be going back anyhow. Chapek literally illuded to this. Thankfully WDW is a different animal that relies on AP for a couple months a yesr simply because of demographics, that is the only reason WDW Ap aren't ending in the near future.

And to ther people say they had to span 30 days ahead theu dlneber did that was a benefit and my favorite part even if I did it the day before or a week before too are that away just make dinay like every other theme park but worse. Even 6 flags killed the reservation system.

So we have to reserve a park buy we can't reserve our fp I otl we are in the door talk about stress right at door opening with everyone on thier phone claiming away not knowninh watwhatv direction they are going to have e to go.

You can want to spen 10k and be altnakau I don't I want to know exactly how my money is being spent and not after zi walk in the door.

The Fast pass system the way it was simple as pie. Anyone that can use a smart phone could use it. No one forced peopel to plan to 30 or 60 days out either. Anyone complaing could use FP the same day and get thier fast passes then, they just dont want others to be able to plan ahead because they don't want to because they feel like they may not get what they want. After 4 major trips I would FP most times the day before, many times after buying a place in FL I would FP the morning before we left, but to have to find out my FP after being in the park, I hate that.

The reality is there are certain people there dont want to plan and Chapek appears to be one of those. Why do people keep saying it stupid to have to get FP 30 or 60 days out you never had to!

I feel like now ot a lottery rather than letting is humans plan. If I wanted an FP and couldn't get it I rearranged my trip now, If they imolemt this like Paris that goes out the window.
21 million what? Magic kingdom? Disneyland?

and if 17 mil were “one and down”…you’d run out of capable Mericans in about a decade…maybe less.

babies aren’t that big of a “thing” anymore…this isn’t 1947.

I think you misinterpreted something wrong there…

and for the billionth time: don’t pay attention to investor calls!! It’s a sales pitch…like on a dodge neon.

and fastpass+ sucked. Period. But there are always minority opinions.

and Disneyland is AP dependent…wdw not even close.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Actually… yes, there are people who would pay $40 to skip a 60 minute line at Pan.
It’s just a question of how many people.

Just as there are families who will pay $4,000 for a line skipping VIP tour.

And skipping a 180 minute line at FOP will cost more than $10 per person.
That’s all insane…and very few pay $4000 for Disney’s “quaint” selection.

the numbers in this thread are way off…Wildly exaggerating/undercounting depending on how you want to defend Disney…so one can avoid crying themselves to sleep tonight about their sacred happy place of wishes.

but I’m sure it will keep spinning round here

ppete1975

I'm seeing some people make the argument that it will be a good thing if this is expensive, because less people will be using it, thus less interference with the standby lines.

Well, no. At Universal, the Express pass costs more than a one day ticket, yet Universal's Express lines are often jammed which, like Fastpass, often grinds the standby lines to a halt.
Just put it on credit.... unfortunately there are alot of people that look at debt as “free money” that they will worry about tomorrow

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My point is that a lot of people are frustrated with the fact that Disney will now potentially close standby lines at-will and throttle capacity for people who aren't paying. Paid fastpasses suck but are unsurprising - the changes to standby lines are significantly more concerning.
Gotcha…
any monetizing of rides after you pay to get into an amusement park is gonna suck if they get the price points wrong.

odds on that?

ctrlaltdel

I will say I think the concerns over the standby pass are a little overblown. That is the aspect that seems reasonable even if the goal is ultimately get guests into more shops, restaurants, etc. It may ultimately drive traffic to lesser ridden attractions who don’t have restrictions but ultimately that’s not too different with what we have today and may help slightly with headliner rides wait times (as you can’t be in multiple virtual standby lines at once).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Because it is.

The Flavor-aide drinkers around here just can't fathom that however.
That’s a mixed bag too…but if you get it with a hotel…there’s no comparison with anything Disney has ever offered.

the response usually is “…but it’s not Disney”….which no matter who says it - sounds like a 7 year old maturity level.

you can love something and Still be objective…”adulting”

havoc315

That’s all insane…and very few pay $4000 for Disney’s “quaint” selection.
and far more would pay $10 to skip the line at Pan.

Personally, I’d probably be willing to pay $100 to $150 per person per day on line skipping. Maybe $200 per person per day on a short trip.

But I purchase UEP at Universal.

Plenty of people will pay. Plenty of people won’t pay — that’s the point. If everyone wanted to purchase the DPA, it would defeat the purpose. To be successful, it needs to be priced at a point where it only appeals to a small percentage of guests.

the numbers in this thread are way off…Wildly exaggerating/undercounting depending on how you want to defend Disney…

I have no interest in “defending Disney.” Only assessing whether a change would be good or bad for me and my family. Still very dependent on implementation, but DPA seems like a major positive change for me.

so one can avoid crying themselves to sleep tonight about their sacred happy place of wishes.

but I’m sure it will keep spinning round here

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I will say I think the concerns over the standby pass are a little overblown. That is the aspect that seems reasonable even if the goal is ultimately get guests into more shops, restaurants, etc. It may ultimately drive traffic to lesser ridden attractions who don’t have restrictions but ultimately that’s not too different with what we have today and may help slightly with headliner rides wait times (as you can’t be in multiple virtual standby lines at once).
I’m still trying to see what 50,000,000 clicks looks like without any fastpass system available to all?

it’s never happened.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
and far more would pay $10 to skip the line at Pan.

Personally, I’d probably be willing to pay $100 to $150 per person per day on line skipping. Maybe $200 per person per day on a short trip.

But I purchase UEP at Universal.

Plenty of people will pay. Plenty of people won’t pay — that’s the point. If everyone wanted to purchase the DPA, it would defeat the purpose. To be successful, it needs to be priced at a point where it only appeals to a small percentage of guests.

i’m Sure $10 would be a hit…which is why I don’t expect that to be a thing…

if I might ask: how often would you/do you travel to Orlando and pay $150-200 per person per day - combined cost of roughly $300-400 - for amusement parks?

I’m just trying to understand the psychology.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom