FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrojanUSC

My guess is the parks were not nearly as crowded as they are now. All new entertainment options, more dining options, so many more people in the parks blogging, vlogging, more people staying on-site, etc.. Disney's expansion in the Eisner era was massive. You no longer had just 2 parks and the Vacation Village (now Disney Springs). The massive growth brought massive crowds and that meant so many more people waiting in incredibly long lines and not using the time more (Disney) wisely, like shopping and eating. FP changed all that.

Not really. The parks are busier overall, but they still operated just fine on packed days for 30+ years. FP wasn't rolled out until 1999 and by then all four parks were in operation. Even then, it was only used at E-Tickets, for the most part, until MDE came along more than a decade later.

Greg in TN

rumored prices are $100-$300 per person per day....
OK, so let's split the difference and say $200/person/day. Would it be like park-hopping &/or the dining plan in that you can't buy it for just one day, but have to buy it for the length of your stay? Suppose you're a family of 4, and you're staying for 7 days, do you buy "FastPass ++" for your trip ?

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
OK, so let's split the difference and say $200/person/day. Would it be like park-hopping &/or the dining plan in that you can't buy it for just one day, but have to buy it for the length of your stay? Suppose you're a family of 4, and you're staying for 7 days, do you buy "FastPass ++" for your trip ?

I can see a minimum like CLFP was.

Ripken10

Nobody knows. Even the pricing is just people guessing with no actual source outside of what others have charged and other similar factors.

flynnibus

Premium Member
charging for length of stay really complicates the decision process for people, and hinders the 'buy it because I'm frustrated RIGHT NOW' situation. That's why Uni has Express pass booths and signs all around the park.. the point is to take your RIGHT NOW frustration and try to convert it into a sale. Same reason the Clear sales people for airport security bypass are RIGHT THERE at the waiting area. It puts you in direct contact with your potential audience and is an opportunistic sales window.

Legnth of stay also limits how much you can charge... because the cumulative cost becomes so exaggerated it will turn people away when they see the total. Much better to get people to eat the elephant one bite at a time instead of putting it all on the plate at once.

People usually expect discounts for 'bulk' as well..

Sure Disney would gain from selling 'more' up front, but this is a classic pricing strategy debate you have to have to decide if your net gains from a premium price outpace the front-loaded sales. Front-loading is usually used to get people to buy more than they need... but in this kind of product, the actual use of what they buy would be nearly 100%.

All that said, if they are going to look to be a 'premium'... I totally expect them to charge per day, and even per park. At least a single park price and a parkhopper price. Bought per day, easily purchased for your whole trip.

Last edited:

jpinkc

I do agree this is a Disney self inflicted wound on number of attractions. There should be new attractions of some form every 3 to 5 years. Not meaning all E Ticket attractions by any means but smaller people eaters etc. But I would think they could swing new C or D every 5 years. Yes that might mean removing some current rides or moving them, but its doable if you can chain the bean counters in the basement. And listen to the Imagineers.

LittleBuford

I do agree this is a Disney self inflicted wound on number of attractions. There should be new attractions of some form every 3 to 5 years. Not meaning all E Ticket attractions by any means but smaller people eaters etc. But I would think they could swing new C or D every 5 years. Yes that might mean removing some current rides or moving them, but its doable if you can chain the bean counters in the basement. And listen to the Imagineers.
Disney is providing us with “new attractions of some form every 3 to 5 years”.

jpinkc

It sure has not felt that way to me. My first trip was in the 70's and its alot different, but I dont think they have done that level of ads. I think New Fantasy Land and what was promoted and what we got as an example. I dont think they have been as long as they should have.

disneygeek90

I think the biggest problem is that the new attractions have almost all been a replacement instead of an addition. We could have added MMRR to HS (maybe in Launch Bay?) but instead it replaces a huge people eater and meanwhile the animation courtyard is virtually deserted.

LittleBuford

I think the biggest problem is that the new attractions have almost all been a replacement instead of an addition. We could have added MMRR to HS (maybe in Launch Bay?) but instead it replaces a huge people eater and meanwhile the animation courtyard is virtually deserted.
That’s fair enough, but even if we limit the tally to additions strictly speaking, I think Disney is easily giving us something new every 3-5 years. I could very well be mistaken, in which case I’d welcome a correction.

nickys

Premium Member
That’s fair enough, but even if we limit the tally to additions strictly speaking, I think Disney is easily giving us something new every 3-5 years. I could very well be mistaken, in which case I’d welcome a correction.
When are you counting from?

Tron and Rat are additions. FoP and Navii were at the time. What was the previous addition before Pandora?

GOTG & MMRR definitely aren’t. And Galaxy’s Edge & TSL replaced the Backstage tour and LMA so wee also replacements.

flynnibus

Premium Member

When you look across WDW as a whole - there is a ton going on (especially the last decade). The problem is more when you look in the individual buckets of specific parks, the story looks a lot worse. And the general argument is much of the additions are themselves a decade late due to the lull that was before.

When you look at MK for instance.. before NFL in 2014.. you had Monsters Inc (which replaced a dead Stitch) in 2007... Stitch in 2004 (which in itself was another replacement).. philharmagic in 2003 (another replacement).. you have to go all the way back to 2001 when the magic carpets were added to see a ride actually ADDED to the most highly visited theme park.

So between NFL in 2014, and the toontown fair expansion/build-out in 1996... you had a grand total of ONE ride that wasn't a replacement. With the last major ride E-Ticket going all the way back to 1992!

And when you look at attendance between 1996 and 2014 for Magic Kingdom... you see attendance grew basically >50%

And this doesn't account for all the stuff they idled either... This is what people mean by the comments.

LittleBuford

When are you counting from?

Tron and Rat are additions. FoP and Navii were at the time. What was the previous addition before Pandora?

GOTG & MMRR definitely aren’t. And Galaxy’s Edge & TSL replaced the Backstage tour and LMA so wee also replacements.
I guess I'm thinking of the last decade as well as the attractions they're about to unveil.

Wasn't Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid an addition? And also Storytime with Belle?

Parker in NYC

I guess I'm thinking of the last decade as well as the attractions they're about to unveil.

Wasn't Under the Sea ~ Journey of the Little Mermaid an addition? And also Storytime with Belle?
Let’s talk attraction quality. Under the Sea is one of the worst dark rides Disney has ever added to WDW. Storytime with Belle is hardly an attraction.

When you look across WDW as a whole - there is a ton going on (especially the last decade). The problem is more when you look in the individual buckets of specific parks, the story looks a lot worse. And the general argument is much of the additions are themselves a decade late due to the lull that was before.

When you look at MK for instance.. before NFL in 2014.. you had Monsters Inc (which replaced a dead Stitch) in 2007... Stitch in 2004 (which in itself was another replacement).. philharmagic in 2003 (another replacement).. you have to go all the way back to 2001 when the magic carpets were added to see a ride actually ADDED to the most highly visited theme park.

So between NFL in 2014, and the toontown fair expansion/build-out in 1996... you had a grand total of ONE ride that wasn't a replacement. With the last major ride E-Ticket going all the way back to 1992!

And when you look at attendance between 1996 and 2014 for Magic Kingdom... you see attendance grew basically >50%

And this doesn't account for all the stuff they idled either... This is what people mean by the comments.
And they cancelled the Main St theater which would've been new.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom