FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chi84

Premium Member
Disney world operated for decades without any sort of virtual queue system. So what did those people who can’t wait 60 minutes do then? Oh right… not every thing was or would be 60 minutes.
Actually, I know the answer. Our first trip to WDW was in 1984. In the years following, we visited with my mom, who was then in her late 60’s, prior to the start of any sort of FastPass system. Waits for the most popular rides were often 60 to 90 minutes. Our way of dealing with it was to skip the rides like Splash and Space Mountain. FP+ would have been better than missing the most popular rides.

nickys

Premium Member
Imagine if they went back to 60 day windows and dropped all at once. You'd have 67 days of fastpasses released in one day. Then that system would have to check for park passes too. Oof.
I don’t see why they’d need to check for park passes. They don’t check when booking dining. The onus is on the guest to make sure they can use the FPs.

DisneyCane

It seems odd that they would launch on 7/3 but not have announced it yet, especially given how far in advance people typically book FP+. I hope you are correct though honestly, since that would mean that free FP isn’t completely dead :)
Maybe the version that returns will be same day booking only?

Just speculating but maybe one of the add on charges would be to pre book?

I could see some kind of system where the base is free, same day with a maximum of 3 (just to throw out a number) and then add ons like advanced booking and more FPs. Possibly with some inventory of the super in demand attractions held back for a same day additional fee.

Some kind of free base system with paid add ons would seem to get the best combination of guest satisfaction with revenue generation. The old system didn't generate any direct revenue and going to a completely paid system will be the lowest guest satisfaction for those who can't or won't pay.

matt9112

Not everyone is able to wait 60 minutes all the time, but who cares, right? Maybe just give everyone over or under a certain age a disability pass? Or do we just tell them not to go to WDW?

Disney knows what it’s doing.

Disney knows what its doing relative to $$ they legitimately care zero about your line waiting experience or lack there of UNLESS it impacts them making $$$

Father Robinson

Disney world operated for decades without any sort of virtual queue system. So what did those people who can’t wait 60 minutes do then? Oh right… not every thing was or would be 60 minutes.
My guess is the parks were not nearly as crowded as they are now. All new entertainment options, more dining options, so many more people in the parks blogging, vlogging, more people staying on-site, etc.. Disney's expansion in the Eisner era was massive. You no longer had just 2 parks and the Vacation Village (now Disney Springs). The massive growth brought massive crowds and that meant so many more people waiting in incredibly long lines and not using the time more (Disney) wisely, like shopping and eating. FP changed all that.

Disney Dead Head

What ever they announce it will definitely will have a 30-60 window for going live. they will have to educate and prepare the guests as well as guest services and those 5-6 kiosks in Tomorrow land wont be able to handle a completely new system and all the unknowns.

I honestly wish they would utilize the CM's for Restaurants instead of FP+ the lack of Dining options for next week is abysmal

Waters Back Side

What I think could happen (just pure speculation) is that the FP+ stays the same in terms of prebooking 3 fast passes (1 tier 1) and then unlike before you pay for additional..a higher price obviously for another tier 1. Possibly change it to 30 days instead of 60. This would be a happy medium. I'd pay for additional after the 3 if it could get me on Test Track and Soarin (just an example) in the same day.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No

You have to consider how much Disney park popularity has exploded since social media.
Back in the day there simply were not as many people in the parks and you can look up the average daily numbers to prove it.
But even back then we did wait in some lengthy lines and didn't like it.
But my family for one essentially used FP before it existed in the form of Adventureland scavenger hunts.
It allowed us to skip the line at the mountains which also benefited my mom as she doesn't ride them so she didn't have to wait as long.

ctrlaltdel

If there is a cost, I just hope it is not unreasonable (I know for many, any cost will be, and that is totally fair). The dynamics are quite different than Disneyland but the potential for MaxPass cost ($20/ticket/day) for the previous FastPass+ benefits isn't awful, but that price point is such a comparatively low add to the normal cost of a Disney vacation that most would likely add it if they are made aware of it's existence.

Sorcerer Mickey

Actually, I know the answer. Our first trip to WDW was in 1984. In the years following, we visited with my mom, who was then in her late 60’s, prior to the start of any sort of FastPass system. Waits for the most popular rides were often 60 to 90 minutes. Our way of dealing with it was to skip the rides like Splash and Space Mountain. FP+ would have been better than missing the most popular rides.

Have you tried virtual queues? Now you have no choice but to miss out on popular rides. Brilliant!

peter11435

You have to consider how much Disney park popularity has exploded since social media.
Back in the day there simply were not as many people in the parks and you can look up the average daily numbers to prove it.
But my family for one essentially used FP before it existed in the form of Adventureland scavenger hunts.
It allowed us to skip the line at the mountains which also benefited my mom as she doesn't ride them so she didn't have to wait as long.
It way more complicated than this. Yes average daily attendance is higher, however that doesn’t paint the whole picture because of the way attendance is recorded and changing guests behavior. Average attendance is higher, however the total number of guests in the park generally is not.

flynnibus

Premium Member
It way more complicated than this. Yes average daily attendance is higher, however that doesn’t paint the whole picture because of the way attendance is recorded and changing guests behavior. Average attendance is higher, however the total number of guests in the park generally is not.

Where do we count current # of people stuck on buses ? :)

SamusAranX

Sorry, but for Disney, much of this is a self-inflicted wound. They have encouraged packing the parks but have not increased overall attraction capacity in commensurate levels. They rather would refurb or redress an attraction and market it as "new", when in reality, brand new overall, rides, shows, etc. are needed at a higher rate then they have been built.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Sorry, but for Disney, much of this is a self-inflicted wound. They have encouraged packing the parks but have not increased overall attraction capacity in commensurate levels. They rather would refurb or redress an attraction and market it as "new", when in reality, brand new overall, rides, shows, etc. are needed at a higher rate then they have been built.

Where in my post did I say "in no way is this Disney's self-inflicted wound"?
Also its not like other theme parks don't do the same.
Take Universal for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom