FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!

DisneyCane

I think they're getting close to flipping the switch. A couple of places I've read articles on say they are predicting July 5th as the turn on date. Either way I wish they would have not turned them on until they're ready for them to go live because all that does is mess with our heads. LOL
If they are going to bring it back with the pre-booking, I would think it would be announced at least 30 days in advance. If whatever form it takes (all paid or hybrid of free and upgrade) is day of only then they can just turn it on with no notice.

Goofyernmost

I haven't seen your math specifically, but it's actually a fairly complicated meth problem that relies on a lot of queuing theory. It's very easy to change one assumption or one variable and skew the results to the outcome that you want. I've seen many different attempts to use math to illustrate a point about FastPass over the years on this board, including from myself, that of all produce different outcomes. I'm not saying your math is wrong necessarily, as I said I haven't seen it, but I don't think it's as cut and dry as that. Yes, it is math, but if you don't have the right equation in your result will be skewed.
Whoever came up with it definitely had a meth problem, but back to the concept. Yes, math enters into some discussion, but math doesn't always know or see the actual physical happening. It can measure that if the attraction has a, for simplicity sake, 100 per hour capacity, both lines have to be part of that 100 capacity. However, the standby line, by definition of the name alone, has to be a wait and see. I don't know if there is a maximum that CM's work with when allowing Fastpass ahead of standby, but if not then the first person in the standby line will still be waiting for an hour or more. The ride is operating but standby isn't playing, just waiting. In the meantime, those with FP will be moving quickly while others stand idle. Math can only go so far with that when putting it against reality of what is happening. Hundreds of people may be standing waiting while others that might not have even gotten to the park before people in the standby line got into that line are happily allowed to cut in front of all those hot, tired and sore footed people that paid the same admission rate, by the way, to remained standing. That is a fact, not a statistic that is recorded, or if it is recorded it is not cared about.

My fight against Fastpass has been going on since the very first day it was established. I saw the joy and fun that people had, other then A type personalities, change to anger and frustration. It was palpable and still is. It is wonderful to quote that capacity is the same no matter which line it comes from but that it looking at lines as just directional separations when lines are actually ticket buying PEOPLE, not objects. People have never been fond of line cutting, legal or not, since childhood. Just because these are adults doesn't mean that they are now lacking in a very basic human emotion. If we have to have a form of Fastpass it would be far easier to tolerate if People in standby knew that the smirking folks holding us back were paying a lot more money to experience the same thing that we eventually will. All it costs us is a little time.

First come First served will always be the fairest and most trouble free way for any theme park to handle attractions. Then we can decide if we want to wait in a specific line at a specific time or circle back later to experience it. That worked for years while WDW continued to grow. It also would make wait times easily and accurately predictable baring a breakdown.

Last edited:

mikejs78

Premium Member
If they are going to bring it back with the pre-booking, I would think it would be announced at least 30 days in advance. If whatever form it takes (all paid or hybrid of free and upgrade) is day of only then they can just turn it on with no notice.
They could also begin precooking on x date but in the meantime add day of only.

Hockey427

Iโ€™m also thinking based on the ADR window shrinking to 60 days out that the FP window (if there still is one) would shrink too as to not have them fall on the same day

G00fyDad

Iโ€™m also thinking based on the ADR window shrinking to 60 days out that the FP window (if there still is one) would shrink too as to not have them fall on the same day

Okay..... I apparently have not been keeping up with the ADR thing. :facepalm: I thought the 60 day ADR window was a COVID thing. Are they not returning this to 180 days out sometime soon?

Hockey427

Okay..... I apparently have not been keeping up with the ADR thing. :facepalm: I thought the 60 day ADR window was a COVID thing. Are they not returning this to 180 days out sometime soon?
Iโ€™m not sure, I havenโ€™t heard anything suggesting the 180 day window would be coming back but also havenโ€™t heard it was gone for good.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
It can measure that if the attraction has a, for simplicity sake, 100 per hour capacity, both lines have to be part of that 100 capacity. However, the standby line, by definition of the name alone, has to be a wait and see. I don't know if there is a maximum that CM's work with when allowing Fastpass ahead of standby, but if not then the first person in the standby line will still be waiting for an hour or more. The ride is operating but standby isn't playing, just waiting. In the meantime, those with FP will be moving quickly while others stand idle. Math can only go so far with that when putting it against reality of what is happening. Hundreds of people may be standing waiting while others that might not have even gotten to the park before people in the standby line got into that line are happily allowed to cut in front of all those hot, tired and sore footed people that paid the same admission rate, by the way, to remained standing.
Those are all things you can model for and see the impact of ๐Ÿ˜œ

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
1624544867075.png

Goofyernmost

Those are all things you can model for and see the impact of ๐Ÿ˜œ
That's true, but what I'm trying to say is that you don't need a Doctorate to see it if you have spent any time in lines both with and without FP influence. The regular line without Fastpass allowed everyone in that line to continue moving. The wait time was calculated from the beginning of the line (meaning where the CM directed) and if it was free of breakdowns that was how long it took to get from the end to the ride. If the line didn't reach the end then it was going to be a shorter time, if beyond the entrance it was longer. One didn't need a slide rule to figure that out.

If you are in a line that has an adjoining line that was unpredictable to the people in standby, then they don't have a freaking clue how long it is going to take but you will know it will be longer then what you originally thought. The fact is that it has a variable of what time or part of their window the FP people actually show up in the line. If there are gaps the Standby will move faster, if the grouping starts to overlap in huge numbers you standby there sucking your thumb and wishing you had gone to Sea World. The figures can only be calculated, math wise, by guesses. Nothing is certain. Possibly close but usually not certain because people, if nothing else, are wildly unpredictable from one to the next.

Either way not everyone goes to WDW with the desire to bring a statistics calculator so they can figure out whether or not to take a chance on the line or to move on to a different one. Once you are in line and have invested time in it there is no sense in changing your mind at that point. You just stand there and deal with it, getting more angry by the moment and thinking evil thoughts instead of Disney Magic and Pixie Dust.

Moral of the story is... If you have a FP you are in heaven and if you don't you go to that other place and the other place is where you are going to spend the majority of your day. Other than that the rest of the time will be spent running around trying to make a window on the other side of the park, spending time with your nose stuck on the screen of you phone trying to score another FP, trying to figure out what to do to make sure you make you meal reservation on time or if you have time to ride one more before you redeem your precious Fastpass. Man, that does sound like a lot of fun. They should pay me to work that hard.

Last edited:

Jedijax719

A fast moving 60 minute line means there are more people in it than a 60 minute slow-moving line. The difference is that the people who would have been in the FP line are now in the longer line and have to wait. The problem is that whether it is fast-moving or slow-moving, it still takes 60 minutes out of your day that could have been spent doing other things had FP been there.

That said, anyone could have made FP work for them. It's not leaving permanently no matter how much some people despised it. Also, I do not believe they will make something that was once free suddenly unaffordable. They'd likely want the same people who used it for free to continue using it when there is a charge. Otherwise, reinstating it defeats the purpose. Clearly, not everyone used it before and those that did REALLY benefited from it. If they reinstate it for any cost, there won't be any more people using it than did before.

Goofyernmost

100% THIS!!!!!!!!!
Sorry, but it's 100% the exact opposite. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt. You have once again been duped by the time that you think you have saved in random attractions. You did save time on whatever attractions you had a FP assigned to you, but if you want to see anything else you will quickly lose that saved time because of others that have FP and making you stand in that dreaded standby line. Without FP you would have used the same amount of time to see more because you didn't have to deal with the road block on the standby line caused by the multi car wreak that is the Fastpass line.

Last edited:

acup313

Sorry, but it's 100% the exact opposite. Denial ain't just a river in Egypt. You have once again been duped by the time that you think you have saved in random attractions. You did save time on whatever attractions you had a FP assigned to you, but if you want to see anything else you will quickly lose that saved time because of others that have FP and making you stand in that dreaded standby line. Without FP you would have used the same amount of time to see more because you didn't have to deal with the road block on the standby line caused by the multi car wreak that is the Fastpass line.
Many people have pointed out that many of us never waited in standby lines. Getting FP was too easy. Also, based on much of the data provided there is no evidence that FP does significantly increase standby waits. In fact most of the evidence suggests that people that use FP, do overall spend less time waiting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom