FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Premium Member
As I’ve said, that isn’t likely. Many attractions already have queues optimized for a decently large FP line. Also, Disney is not going to leave money on the table, which they would be doing by not selling “skip the line” passes to as many people as possible. I’d expect the daily FP inventory for a ride to be pretty similar to what it was under free FP+.

The move to monetize FP comes purely from TWDC’s desire to increase revenue by monetizing as much as they can get away with, not from TWDC’s desire (or what’s left of it) to improve guest experience. It’s all about shareholder value these days, not guest value.
They have to balance how much skipping the line they sell with how much it would hurt their VIP business if I could get all of the line skips for a fraction of the price.

Jrb1979

The name doesn't line up with the logo/imaging at all so that aspect I do think is wrong.
I also don't think it will be quite as pricey.
And it and more virtual queues STILL won't have the effect Disney wants on spending more money on souvenirs.
Now a days people vlog so much where they are just showing their followers what's available but not buying much of it themselves so they will make a ton of money on youtube and Disney won't get as much out of the deal lol.
The Virtual queues and the paid FP system are 2 different things.

Disney Glimpses

I am aware that other people do like him and that’s fine, I’m not for everyone and neither is he.

What is he saying?
Gist:

Current FastPass+ Queue -> New Paid Lightning Pass queue (no reservations, daily fee per person in order of $100-300)
Current Standby Queue -> Queue for Virtual Queue guests (select attractions)

First is more likely to happen than the second and they are unlikely to happen at the same time (if at all).

Goofyernmost

$100-$300 a day per person is insanity

and I wonder if on-site guests will ever see any benefits of staying onsite with this
On the other hand it will make the Fastpass line, or whatever it will be called then, way shorter and all of us will get a better idea of how smoothly and quickly the regular lines moved. If they decide to do that, I am completely in favor of it.

hopemax

$100 for day one with a tiered price system for subsequent days would be acceptable. $300, I don't know anyone who would pay that.
I mentioned upthread what the going rate was for Universal Express Pass was the two days I was at Portofino. The next week, we popped in to ride Velocicoaster again and we got lunch at Thunder Falls. The two parties behind us were talking about buying Express Pass for that day. One of them was upset that he couldn't buy it the day before because it was "sold out." Which would have meant paying the $300+ that does show up on their EP calendar. So even if you can't imagine it, there will be those that do it. There is always someone with more money than you and willing to spend it. It's $329.99 the rest of the week, BTW.

The "Theme Park Wars" we have been waiting for, are going in a different direction it appears.

homerdance

Disney bringing in a paid fast pass system called a Lightening Pass (rumoured)
Which we all know wouldn’t happen because there is no “plus” at the end.

But seriously, a totally paid FP service would not be great for the average guest. That price is too close to the existing “Day of thrills” package they offer that isn’t worth it either.

aaronml

They have to balance how much skipping the line they sell with how much it would hurt their VIP business if I could get all of the line skips for a fraction of the price.
Disney will make significantly more money from paid FP (namely if it’s the only option other than standby) than they ever did from VIP tours. That said, only the “Unlimited” paid FP option would significantly cannibalize VIP Tour sales. The other offerings that have been rumored here (Pay per attraction and Pay per group of attractions) would likely be cheaper and more targeted towards your average guest.

I can also see Disney improving their VIP Tour product in various ways (e.g skip to the front of the FP line) so that people still buy it.

I really hope this isn't the plan. With the way they're going they'd keep the same capacity and just charge for it so the non upcharge people get stuck in lines all day, the people with excess cash are free to shop, and capacity is maximized. Great for Disney, awful for the average or frequent guest.

TrojanUSC

Disney will make significantly more money from paid FP (namely if it’s the only option other than standby) than they ever did from VIP tours. That said, only the “Unlimited” paid FP option would significantly cannibalize VIP Tour sales. The other offerings that have been rumored here (Pay per attraction and Pay per group of attractions) would likely be cheaper and more targeted towards your average guest.
On the best days, I'd say they had about 120 tours out, at about $5K per tour (not including if the guests go over their 7 hours). This is all just a guess, but the money is substantial.

I can also see Disney improving their VIP Tour product in various ways (e.g skip to the front of the FP line) so that people still buy it.
This will be a necessity. Universal currently offers skipping the lines entirely (no waiting in the Express line) and free "gourmet" food. Disney makes tour guests wait in the FP line for most everything, and offers no real food. They do offer backstage park to park transportation, which is nice and (mediocre) reserved standing areas for parades/fireworks. But you're right, they 100% will need to improve the product if this "Lightning Pass" comes to fruition.

Disney Glimpses

I mentioned upthread what the going rate was for Universal Express Pass was the two days I was at Portofino. The next week, we popped in to ride Velocicoaster again and we got lunch at Thunder Falls. The two parties behind us were talking about buying Express Pass for that day. One of them was upset that he couldn't buy it the day before because it was "sold out." Which would have meant paying the $300+ that does show up on their EP calendar. So even if you can't imagine it, there will be those that do it. There is always someone with more money than you and willing to spend it. It's $329.99 the rest of the week, BTW.

The "Theme Park Wars" we have been waiting for, are going in a different direction it appears.
Very few people are willing to spend more money than me at Disney parks, trust me on that one 😂

What I was referring to was a $300 per day per person fee as Brayden suggested (for a family of four for a week that would come to over $8,000 just for FastPass). That is so exorbitant, even wealthy people would pass. And the ones that wouldn't you could count on two hands.

We have proof of this: the club level FP+ test failed miserably. Just not worth it.

Anyways, $250-500 for a week per person, I would be on board. I imagine they would be targeting something along those lines.

MurphyJoe

Very few people are willing to spend more money than me at Disney parks, trust me on that one 😂

What I was referring to was a $300 per day per person fee as Brayden suggested (for a family of four for a week that would come to over $8,000 just for FastPass). That is so exorbitant, even wealthy people would pass. And the ones that wouldn't you could count on two hands.

We have proof of this: the club level FP+ test failed miserably. Just not worth it.

Anyways, $250-500 for a week per person, I would be on board.

I doubt most people would buy it for the entire week. Most likely the average visitor will purchase a day or two (if at all) during their visit. MK will probably sell out in advance. AK not as much.

Disney Glimpses

Why? They are selling out tours everyday at $5K a tour just to wait in a Fastpass line.
$5,000 is for 10 guests (it's also way more than just skipping lines).

Very different than $8,000 for 4 guests.

And even if that were the case, them "selling out" tours means nothing. The number of tours is quite limited: 1,000-2,000 people per day. Certainly their new FP product would need to appeal to far more people than that.

There are no where near enough people willing to spend that money on FastPass, the program would be a massive failure.

Hell, you could get 6 FastPass+ reservations 90 days in advance for only $50 per day per person while staying club level; that program failed miserably according to multiple sources.

Real talk though, it's not going to cost that much money lol. Worst case is likely $1,000 per person for a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom