FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrb1979

What? Were the old FP+ wait times long? 25,000 people distributed over a 12 hour day across x number of attractions does not equal long wait times. Most of these rides are 5 minutes long. They're going to want the queues filled so you are waiting 10-15 minutes at every attraction at any moment. Which equates to several thousand sales of the product, not 500 or 1,000 rich people.
I would up to 10000 people per day.

Disney Glimpses

I would up to 10000 people per day.
Sure, that sounds reasonable. But my point is Disney is not finding 10,000 people every single day for 365 days a year to spend $500 to skip lines. And the VIP business is way more than just skipping lines; most of those people had FP+ anyways. And again, Disney couldn't even sell out $100 After Hours events which had zero lines for anything.

That's like, $2 billion or Disney+ level revenue 😂

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
Way too limited. FP queues would be empty most of the day and they'd make more money with the current VIP tour business.

LMAO no chance. What makes more money: 1000 people at $500 or 25,000 people at $100?

Where are these people paying $500 per day for unlimited fastpass when people who had the opportunity to pay $50 for the same thing passed on it? Makes no sense at all

You're equating VIP tours to FastPass. People aren't paying $500/hour to ride Splash Mountain without waiting 40 minutes.
The first one because in the second one nobody ever buys it a second time

Disney Glimpses

I think the problem is many are still focused on that it should be available to everyone.
No, but practically there is no way they are creating a product that eats up the FP+ queue and will sit largely empty the entire day. Their goal is to make money and that's not the way to do it.

Consider this. If what you're saying is true, there will be no where near enough people to fill those queues up. Which means those queues sit empty. Those queues sitting empty is lost money for them. They want a steady flow of guests in those queues just enough so you barely wait at all. And however number of people that is will dictate the pricing.

So say that is 10,000 people per park per day. They need to price it at a point where 10,000 people reliably will pay for it, every single day.

That is not $500. No where near it and there is ample evidence because guests again for the 100th time pass up on $50 and $100 opportunities to skip lines.

TrojanUSC

What? Were the old FP+ wait times long? 25,000 people distributed over a 12 hour day across x number of attractions does not equal long wait times. Most of these rides are 5 minutes long. They're going to want the queues filled so you are waiting 10-15 minutes at every attraction at any moment. Which equates to several thousand sales of the product, not 500 or 1,000 rich people.

Yes, the old FP lines could often exceed 20-30 minutes depending on the time of day/popularity of the ride. MK, for whatever reason, seemed to "overbook" FP the most, leading to lengthy FP queues.

Disney Glimpses

They have a miserable experience with paying $100 to stand in long lines. Why would you pay to do that twice? It can’t be cheap, it HAS to be expensive if it’s unlimited.
It's going to be as expensive enough so that every single queue has a 5 to 10 minute wait. They want every queue utilized to its max, not sit empty.

I think you're thinking about this the wrong way. They want people to purchase it multiple times, not just once. They're going to price it so they can sell as many units as they can. Let's call it 10,000. They are going to price it so they just eclipse 10,000 guests on average per day.

If that's $500, sure. I just don't think it's anywhere near that. If it is, that's like half of their total annual revenue lol

Last edited:

Jrb1979

No, but practically there is no way they are creating a product that eats up the FP+ queue and will sit largely empty the entire day. Their goal is to make money and that's not the way to do it.

Consider this. If what you're saying is true, there will be no where near enough people to fill those queues up. Which means those queues sit empty. Those queues sitting empty is lost money for them. They want a steady flow of guests in those queues just enough so you barely wait at all. And however number of people that is will dictate the pricing.

So say that is 10,000 people per park per day. They need to price it at a point where 10,000 people reliably will pay for it, every single day.

That is not $500. No where near it and there is ample evidence because guests again for the 100th time pass up on $50 and $100 opportunities to skip lines.
Maybe at Disney they do but I think a lot of that has to do with that FP+ was free. If the only option is a paid one that would probably change.

Having been to many amusement parks there are days that attractions were walk-ons. They aren't going to sell 10000 every day. The goal is to have the price fluctuate to make up for the slower days.

Disney Glimpses

Maybe at Disney they do but I think a lot of that has to do with that FP+ was free. If the only option is a paid one that would probably change.

Having been to many amusement parks there are days that attractions were walk-ons. They aren't going to sell 10000 every day. The goal is to have the price fluctuate to make up for the slower days.
Agree but my point is that their goal isn't to create a niché premium glossy product that only Club 33 members can dream of. They want to make money and their pricing will be based on all of those factors to maximize profit. Say they can sell 10,000 per day at $150 per day and people are willing to wait 20 minutes, that's what they will do.

But what will be interesting is what their starting price/inventory is.

BTW - if they do this, it's going to be a major revenue generator for the parks which is really good if you care about future attractions and offerings.

Chomama

Agree but my point is that their goal isn't to create a niché premium glossy product that only Club 33 members can dream of. They want to make money and their pricing will be based on all of those factors to maximize profit. Say they can sell 10,000 per day at $150 per day and people are willing to wait 20 minutes, that's what they will do.

But what will be interesting is what their starting price/inventory is.
And then what do they offer vip/club 33 ? Front of line access? Because even though they see a cash cow with lightning pass (or whatever it ends up as) they also have a very loyal customer base that pays for the above and will be very very unhappy about this offering. Not saying it shouldn’t happen but then they have to change what they provide in the vip experience and to club 33 members

aaronml

Yeah, so certainly the inventory will be substantially less than the old FP+ inventory.
That is not a safe assumption. Disney makes more money from more people buying FP. Having more people in FP lines will cause longer standby lines, but that will only further incentive people to buy FP, so it benefits them.

Paid FP inventory might be slightly less than Free FP, but it’s unlikely to be significantly less.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
It's going to be as expensive enough so that every single queue has a 5 to 10 minute wait. They want every queue utilized to its max, not sit empty.

I think you're thinking about this the wrong way. They want people to purchase it multiple times, not just once. They're going to price it so they can sell as many units as they can. Let's call it 10,000. They are going to price it so they just eclipse 10,000 guests on average per day.

If that's $500, sure. I just don't think it's anywhere near that. If it is, that's like half of their total annual revenue lol
But that’s not reality because there’s 3x as many people trying to board rides at 1PM as at 7PM. You can’t utilize all of the queues all day. And 10,000 is WAY to many to do what you say. The ride capacity in “5 minutes” for these parks is like 1000-3000 and a lot of that still has to go to standby.

Anyway it all goes back to why I don’t think there will be unlimited and we’re talking in circles so I’m done.

runnsally

Or at least at a price point their household can afford.
The optics of going from free to $300/person/day is a major issue…at least initially. I would assume that if this comes to pass (pun intended) they’ll market it as something totally different from FP+ and announce something more accessible (virtual queues?) at the same time.

Last edited:

MurphyJoe

The optics of going from free to $300/person/day is a major issue…at least initially. I would assume that if this comes to pass (pun intended) they’ll market it as something totally different from FP+ and announce something more accessible (virtual cues?) at the same time.

It was mentioned earlier in this thread that one proposal would keep a limited free tier.

Maybe something through Genie? Then if you're not paying, Genie gets to decide when and where you're getting a FP.

Disney Glimpses

But that’s not reality because there’s 3x as many people trying to board rides at 1PM as at 7PM. You can’t utilize all of the queues all day. And 10,000 is WAY to many to do what you say. The ride capacity in “5 minutes” for these parks is like 1000-3000 and a lot of that still has to go to standby.

Anyway it all goes back to why I don’t think there will be unlimited and we’re talking in circles so I’m done.
haha, sorry didn't mean to seem combative. ultimately I agree with what you're all saying I just disagree with the price point. cheers mate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom