FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmb5002

I have to admit they do some very stupid things. I remember going through Pennsylvania to go to Vermont for a high school reunion in 2016. there was a stretch of 81, I believe, that was under some construction. They had made the highway a single lane in each direction over 20 miles. The barricades were just barely over the width of one lane for that entire distance. If you didn't have a breakdown or an accident it was fine. I was fortunate to be heading north when there was either an accident or a breakdown in the south bound lane. It was near the end of the construction area and cars were lined up and stopped completely for the entire length of that because Pennsylvania wasn't intelligent enough to take into consideration that if that happened there was no where or way to clear the lane. Emergency vehicles could only get to it from one direction and you couldn't even push the car off the road so the rest of the traffic could move. Total genius!
Here's a thought, maybe they did think of it, but was determined to be too expensive and time consuming to do something else. It is ultimately our tax dollars that build the roads.

They could have widened the road to handle 4 lanes in each direction (but then you have to widen every bridge and rock cut which is incredibly expensive). They could have done only one lane at a time, but that doubles the time, increases the cost, and still has one side at a single lane. They could have replaced the concrete with an asphalt road, but that's more of a life cycle analysis issue (with a higher maintenance burden). Aside frome those options, there isn't much you can do to reconstruct a concrete roadway. It can't be done at night only, smaller sections sections take longer... I'm curious what options you might think are better.

Goofyernmost

Here's a thought, maybe they did think of it, but was determined to be too expensive and time consuming to do something else. It is ultimately our tax dollars that build the roads.

They could have widened the road to handle 4 lanes in each direction (but then you have to widen every bridge and rock cut which is incredibly expensive). They could have done only one lane at a time, but that doubles the time, increases the cost, and still has one side at a single lane. They could have replaced the concrete with an asphalt road, but that's more of a life cycle analysis issue (with a higher maintenance burden). Aside frome those options, there isn't much you can do to reconstruct a concrete roadway. It can't be done at night only, smaller sections sections take longer... I'm curious what options you might think are better.
No, they didn't think of it or if they did they didn't care that they might cause someone death because they cannot be accessed by emergency vehicles quickly, not to mention upset hundreds of people stuck on the highway until whatever the problem is can be cleared up. Here in Raleigh they are rebuilding a very busy access loop around the area and have done and are doing some almost massive changes, adding lanes, building flyovers and a host of other things and have not stopped traffic and have worked in the confines of areas just off the highway to do it. The current highway itself is not touched until an alternate road, possibly temporary is establish to move the same traffic to with just a minor shift in lanes and have left the shoulders so a disabled vehicle can be cleared out of the way. The surrounding earth work is done during the day when it isn't interfering with traffic the beam placement for flyovers is done at night when traffic is just a small amount and can be directed to a temporary path.

It could be done with just a little more expense but I guess we are just getting to approving of the idea that money is more important then life. All they really had to do was to leave a shoulder on that stretch to enable cars to pull off the highway when and if they break down. Accidents can cause those problems on any highway, but the fact that vehicles have no place to go in the event of a breakdown we see the reason accidents are happening because vehicles have no place to go to get out of the way. Those accidents can happen 10 miles back from the original event by some inattentive driver. How do they get to those situations. The most evident thing is that they are not rebuilding that entire stretch at one time. They narrow it down for 20 miles and are only working on one mile at a time or even less. The other 19 miles are made into a hazard for no reason at all except to save the construction folks from having to do it down one section at a time.

Last edited:

cmb5002

Yeah...I’ve lived my whole life within a stones throw of that road...with the exception of my time in Florida...
Started in the west...then the center...now at the east end...

perhaps it would be a better road if it wasn’t built by guys who snuck white envelopes under pies like Shawshank for decades? But you never know...I guess?
Ive lived pretty close to the turnpike too, and I'm in the industry. Polical scandals don't change the age of the road, the terrain it was built on, the weather it is subjected to, or the traffic it gets. I'd rather build roads anywhere but PA because of those combined issues.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Ive lived pretty close to the turnpike too, and I'm in the industry. Polical scandals don't change the age of the road, the terrain it was built on, the weather it is subjected to, or the traffic it gets. I'd rather build roads anywhere but PA because of those combined issues.

well documented...but also lots of mistakes.

member when there were no berms (for about 50 years)? ...and people would get plowed in the middle of the night trying to change flat tires by trucks with their blinkers on?

that’s fun.

it’s a “flawed” situation. 25 miles between exits...the four tunnels...the “brake grinder” between somerset and Bedford...the “breezewood bottleneck”...4 lanes when 6 were needed...blah blah blah.

never easy to blast through the mountains...however.

I’ll say this: no Highway on earth runs directly through a better golf course 🏌🏼

acup313

I can’t watch that kid what is he saying?
Basically a rumor that Disney is working on a lightning pass that is similar to the Express Pass at Universal where you just go into whichever ride you want when you want. The rumored price was $100-$300 per person per day.

aaronml

To all of the people saying that a Paid FP+ replacement would be better for everyone than free FP+ because it would be expensive and fewer people would use it…. Keep in mind that Disney would almost certainly use dynamic pricing for this….. they don’t want to leave money on the table.

ilovetotravel1977

To all of the people saying that a Paid FP+ replacement would be better for everyone than free FP+ because it would be expensive and fewer people would use it…. Keep in mind that Disney would almost certainly use dynamic pricing for this….. they don’t want to leave money on the table.

Does Universal do dynamic pricing for their Express Passes? For reason I keep thinking they do...

hopemax

Does Universal do dynamic pricing for their Express Passes? For reason I keep thinking they do...
Oh, they do. We had booked a night at the Portofino for the EP, but out of curiosity I looked up what those days would have cost if I bought them a few days out. $269.99 for the first day, $239.99 for the 2nd. You could find many $99 days if you selected a day, 6+ months in advance.

jt04

As usual, MickeyViews has a very informative video today. Well worth the time. But in my opinion has a couple false assumptions but only as it pertains to virtual queues.

For starters, I don't think virtual queues will be available on a widespread basis due to the issues that are pointed out in the video. My opinion is that it will be two or at most three attractions per park if implemented. The big four of course (Tron, Guardians, RotR, and FoP) will be mainstays for a very long time. Then a secondary offer of the next popular ride. Either because it is the newest or a popular classic. For example the MK would be Tron and the 7DMT. Because these rides exclude younger families they would need to include a third choice. Likely PPF. By limiting each park to two or at most three virtual queues, you eliminate the concerns pointed out in the video. And of course guests can only choose one option per day. Basically everyone with a reservation gets to choose one timed fastpass ("boarding group", "virtual queue").

What's in it for guests and Disney...

It takes stress off of RotR as it eliminates that being the only mega E ticket virtual queue. Certainly RotR reservations/virtual queues will fill first but those locked out will have great options remaining.

It greatly reduces park hopping because many will be committed to that return time. Guests will spend substantially more time collectively in the parks and a lot of strain is taken off of the transportation system. That extra time will be spent shopping and eating rather than lost hours on transportation. This also translates to a better guest experience for most IMO. Win-Win. Just because you are waiting for a return time doesn't mean guests won't be waiting in other queues, eating. or shopping.

Just my two cents.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom