FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jrb1979

I am aware that other people do like him and that’s fine, I’m not for everyone and neither is he.

What is he saying?
The jist of it is it will be part of Genie and the average price would be between $100 to $300 per person per day. It would also change to be more like Universal's system in that you no longer have to pick a time to come back.

CastAStone

5th gate? Just build a new resort Bob.
The jist of it is it will be part of Genie and the average price would be between $100 to $300 per person per day. It would also change to be more like Universal's system in that you no longer have to pick a time to come back.
Unlimited or once per ride per day?

nickys

Premium Member
As usual, MickeyViews has a very informative video today. Well worth the time. But in my opinion has a couple false assumptions but only as it pertains to virtual queues.

For starters, I don't think virtual queues will be available on a widespread basis due to the issues that are pointed out in the video. My opinion is that it will be two or at most three attractions per park if implemented. The big four of course (Tron, Guardians, RotR, and FoP) will be mainstays for a very long time. Then a secondary offer of the next popular ride. Either because it is the newest or a popular classic. For example the MK would be Tron and the 7DMT. Because these rides exclude younger families they would need to include a third choice. Likely PPF. By limiting each park to two or at most three virtual queues, you eliminate the concerns pointed out in the video. And of course guests can only choose one option per day. Basically everyone with a reservation gets to choose one timed fastpass ("boarding group", "virtual queue").

What's in it for guests and Disney...

It takes stress off of RotR as it eliminates that being the only mega E ticket virtual queue. Certainly RotR reservations/virtual queues will fill first but those locked out will have great options remaining.

It greatly reduces park hopping because many will be committed to that return time. Guests will spend substantially more time collectively in the parks and a lot of strain is taken off of the transportation system. That extra time will be spent shopping and eating rather than lost hours on transportation. This also translates to a better guest experience for most IMO. Win-Win. Just because you are waiting for a return time doesn't mean guests won't be waiting in other queues, eating. or shopping.

Just my two cents.
At DL it’s (going to be) used at 2 rides. You can only be in one queue at a time but the drop times are different. With a bit of luck you could ride both RotR and the Spider-Man ride on the same day.

But in your scenario, I’m curious how being limited to one VQ per park per day “translates to a better guest experience”? And there’s also zero evidence people will shop more, they could just be in more stand-by lines. I know I would be. I’ll have paid for my ticket, not going to buy more just because I’m in a virtual queue.

jt04

At DL it’s (going to be) used at 2 rides. You can only be in one queue at a time but the drop times are different. With a bit of luck you could ride both RotR and the Spider-Man ride on the same day.

But in your scenario, I’m curious how being limited to one VQ per park per day “translates to a better guest experience”? And there’s also zero evidence people will shop more, they could just be in more stand-by lines. I know I would be. I’ll have paid for my ticket, not going to buy more just because I’m in a virtual queue.

I like what DL is doing. WDW is a lot more difficult to hop around so I think they will offer a modified version of that.

to your other point,

Per Guest spending has increased with lower crowds according to Disney. Makes perfect sense because nobody wants to wait in line 25 minutes for the newest mickey ears. Impulse purchases and normal purchases depend on a pleasant shopping experience. IMO.

Not everyone is a park ninja trying to get a certain number of rides per day. Many long term visitors enjoy a more leisurely pace. Virtual queues are a benefit to both strategies.

pdude81

If the virtual queues are more or less maxpass where you can hold one at a time as opposed to one per day, then you can charge for the access per ticket and then also sell fastpasses over the top for money. That allows for more spontaneity and more revenue. Still annoying for us but I think that ship has sailed.

They can basically just charge per ticket for the service and let you do them on the phone or at the kiosks. I'd think with less guests and the same rides there would be more fastpasses to work with, so they could sell as a package more like what Martin was alluding to previously. If I had Golden Oak or Club 33 privileges, I'd be pretty ticked off hearing Joe Schmo got unlimited fastpasses for 150 bucks a day. So I am interested in this lightning pass rumor, but not so sure they'd do this if it wasn't prohibitively expensive per ticket.

Disney Analyst

Honesty a paid option is ideal. No return times. Unlimited is a bonus.

I would definitely pay for it for one day if it meant I could get things done quickly. And I don’t think it would have as negative an impact as FastPass did.

LoonyMouse

Honesty a paid option is ideal. No return times. Unlimited is a bonus.

I would definitely pay for it for one day if it meant I could get things done quickly. And I don’t think it would have as negative an impact as FastPass did.
IF you are able to use it with hopping, and IF you are able to add it to just one day of your ticket, I'd consider buying it for one day of our multi-day trip. That day would be hopping from park to park to ride the major attractions. Other days would be more leisurely touring of the parks. I guess I'm not alone in this. Which means Disney will probably make it so you can't use it when hopping.

Disney Analyst

IF you are able to use it with hopping, and IF you are able to add it to just one day of your ticket, I'd consider buying it for one day of our multi-day trip. That day would be hopping from park to park to ride the major attractions. Other days would be more leisurely touring of the parks. I guess I'm not alone in this. Which means Disney will probably make it so you can't use it when hopping.

I doubt you’d be able to use it in multiple parks in a single day, if they do it will certainly be a higher tiered version, the highest cost option.

mergatroid

I'm guessing Disney figure with VQ that a guest gets to ride more attractions? Evidence has proven if you place a gift shop at the end of a ride, that people are more likely to be tempted to buy a souvenir. So the more rides a guest can do in a day increases the likelihood of purchasing more items. The likes of you and I probably aren't tempted as we've been many times, but don't underestimate other people in the park who don't have our mindset.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
The name doesn't line up with the logo/imaging at all so that aspect I do think is wrong.
I also don't think it will be quite as pricey.
And it and more virtual queues STILL won't have the effect Disney wants on spending more money on souvenirs.
Now a days people vlog so much where they are just showing their followers what's available but not buying much of it themselves so they will make a ton of money on youtube and Disney won't get as much out of the deal lol.

Sir_Cliff

Yes, a park hopping version I could see as being vaguely appealing for a day out of a longer trip. Can't imagine them doing this without it being astronomically expensive so as not to be quite so appealing.

I've never paid for the version at DLP as I've never needed to, and if this got the situation closer to a point where it wasn't necessary just a perk if you were averse to lines then I would be fine with it. I just don't trust Disney not to make this something it becomes hard to avoid paying extra for in some capacity to have an enjoyable experience. My impression is that this is their way of controlling capacity issues by signalling to those who are less valuable to them that Disney is largely indifferent to negative on the issue of whether they have a good time or come again.

aaronml

If it takes more guests out of the FP line seems like a plus. Unless more people start to cheat the system.
As I’ve said, that isn’t likely. Many attractions already have queues optimized for a decently large FP line. Also, Disney is not going to leave money on the table, which they would be doing by not selling “skip the line” passes to as many people as possible. I’d expect the daily FP inventory for a ride to be pretty similar to what it was under free FP+.

The move to monetize FP comes purely from TWDC’s desire to increase revenue by monetizing as much as they can get away with, not from TWDC’s desire (or what’s left of it) to improve guest experience. It’s all about shareholder value these days, not guest value.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom