FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrojanUSC

It's not cutting. If you didn't have a fast pass and get in line when it is posted at 45 mins, then you are waiting for 45 minutes with or without the fast pass. Just that with fast pass, there are only 100 people in front of you in queue without it there are 1000. Stop equating fast pass to cutting. That is disingenuous.

I think you're missing the point... If you are in next in line in the standby line and 100 people pass you to get on the ride first, your boarding is delayed waiting for all of those people. That is going on throughout your entire wait, therefore the standby line is artificially inflated because you are letting the "line cutters" eat up most of the ride capacity.

As has been explained, if everyone who had a FP was not allowed to also get in a standby line, that'd be one thing. But now people are taking up two spots in line - on in a virtual way via FP and one actual place standing in a regular line.

jinx8402

I think you're missing the point... If you are in next in line in the standby line and 100 people pass you to get on the ride first, your boarding is delayed waiting for all of those people. That is going on throughout your entire wait, therefore the standby line is artificially inflated because you are letting the "line cutters" eat up most of the ride capacity.

As has been explained, if everyone who had a FP was not allowed to also get in a standby line, that'd be one thing. But now people are taking up two spots in line - on in a virtual way via FP and one actual place standing in a regular line.
But your boarding wasn't delayed. What that is failing to take into account is that Disney knew there were going to be additional people coming in the fast pass lane. Again, the stated wait is what it is. Now, I could buy the argument if the actual wait time was consistently 20+ mins more than stated. That I would consider "cutting". But normally your wait is shorter than the listed wait.

havoc315

It's not cutting. If you didn't have a fast pass and get in line when it is posted at 45 mins, then you are waiting for 45 minutes with or without the fast pass. Just that with fast pass, there are only 100 people in front of you in queue without it there are 1000. Stop equating fast pass to cutting. That is disingenuous.

No… it’s disingenuous to suggest that the standby line is reduced by 90%.

Tell me: What does the FP holder do when they use up their FPs? They get into a standby line!

So… instead of waiting on the first attraction line for 60 minutes… they ride in 5 minutes… and then get on another standby line!

Adding FPs virtually increases the attendance. Increased attendance = longer lines.

havoc315

But your boarding wasn't delayed. What that is failing to take into account is that Disney knew there were going to be additional people coming in the fast pass lane. Again, the stated wait is what it is. Now, I could buy the argument if the actual wait time was consistently 20+ mins more than stated. That I would consider "cutting". But normally your wait is shorter than the listed wait.

It’s 20 minutes longer than if FP didn’t exist.

havoc315

^^^^^ THIS.

peter11435

But you were never next in line. Those 100 people were always intended to ride before you. They were in line with you just virtually instead of physically and your estimated wait time accounted for them. If FP didn’t exist more people would have physically been in line ahead of you.

G00fyDad

When have you had 100 people from the fastpass line pass you while you stood idly by in the standby line waiting for it to be over with? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 I'm going to go out on a limb here and say never.

TrojanUSC

But you were never next in line. Those 100 people were always intended to ride before you. They were in line with you just virtually instead of physically and your estimated wait time accounted for them. If FP didn’t exist more people would have physically been in line ahead of you.

Not really, though. They were only intended to because they happened to have a FP+. If they didn't have that FP, they might be in front of you, might be behind you, might be on a totally different ride or may not have chosen to ride that ride at all.

TrojanUSC

When have you had 100 people from the fastpass line pass you while you stood idly by in the standby line waiting for it to be over with? 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 I'm going to go out on a limb here and say never.

Anybody who has worked in attractions knows the rule of thumb generally 80 FP people to 20 standby. If FP is backed up, that number goes up. So you could very well have 80, maybe more.

TrojanUSC

That is not the discussion here, whether the posted FP time is accurate or not. The argument is rather would your wait for IASM or Spaceship Earth be 40 minutes if FP didn't exist? It would not, except on the busiest of busiest days.

TrojanUSC

Or they continue to get FastPasses into the evening.

But the vast majority of people don't plan around what FPs are available. They think "hey we'd like to do our favorite ride one more time" or hit something they haven't done yet, which often is not available as it was booked a long time ago.

G00fyDad

Tell me: What does the FP holder do when they use up their FPs? They get into a standby line!
Not if it's more than 30 minutes. We won't get into a standby line unless it's 30 minutes or less after lunch. We would hit the headliners one right after the other as soon as we were allowed in the park before the crowds built in the mornings, shop around for a little bit once the crowd started to build, go eat lunch around 11:00 or 12:00, then we would hit our fast passes after lunch and then meander around the park for the rest of the day or try for more fast passes if we could. We weren't going to go stand in a 60 minute standby line.

Reactions: MJM

havoc315

Not if it's more than 30 minutes. We won't get into a standby line unless it's 30 minutes or less after lunch. We would hit the headliners one right after the other as soon as we were allowed in the park before the crowds built in the mornings, shop around for a little bit once the crowd started to build, go eat lunch around 11:00 or 12:00, then we would hit our fast passes after lunch and then meander around the park for the rest of the day or try for more fast passes if we could. We weren't going to go stand in a 60 minute standby line.

You’re talking about YOU. There are tens of thousands of other guests — tons of whom get into 30+ standby lines.

And even you, are still getting into standby lines in addition to your FP.

Chi84

Premium Member
It doesn’t matter whether ride reservation systems make standby lines longer. Every major amusement park has them because people want them. If no one wanted them, they wouldn’t exist. Disney is just going to replace one system with another. It’s never going to all standby.

TrojanUSC

It doesn’t matter whether ride reservation systems make standby lines longer. Every major amusement park has them because people want them. If no one wanted them, they wouldn’t exist. Disney is just going to replace one system with another. It’s never going to all standby.

I don't think anyone thinks it is. However, if they are going to start a pay to play system, they'll need to severely limit the number sold, which means it won't have as much of an impact. Also, it may not be available for every attraction.

havoc315

Correct. But it’s about finding the right balance that actually boosts customer satisfaction.

Most other amusement parks don’t require you to schedule a week’s worth of ride reservations at 7am 2 months in advance.

And most other parks have options to buy many or unlimited “front of line” privileges. Not limiting guests to 1 top tier attraction per day, etc.

Of course… with an expensive front-of-line system.. it boosts satisfaction for those that can afford it. While potentially reducing guest satisfaction of those who can’t.

It’s all about finding the right balance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom