FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

havoc315

Agreed.

Disagree. FP did not make the SB lines longer.

Agreed.

A lot of us LOVE planning. I do. I have spreadsheets upon spreadsheets.

Always got up early and I always got the FP's that I wanted.

No. You didn't. SB lines were not longer by any noticeable amount.

Agreed. I am hoping for a hybrid that allows for the original 3 free FP's and then a tiered pay level.

FP absolutely does make lines longer. The transition from old FP to FP+ didn’t makes lines longer overall as it re-distributed lines. Rides that already had FP stayed about the same or got a little shorter, as people were pushed to other attractions. While rides that didn’t previously have FP, got longer standby lines.

But unquestionably, having FP making standby lines longer, versus not having any FP system.

It’s a mathematical certainty. If a ride can accommodate 1500 people per hour…. But it gives out 1200 FPs per hour, then the standby line only allows 300 people per hour, backing up the standby line. Take DHS with their tiers— only a fraction of guests per day can get a FP for each feature attraction. So most people still need to ultimately get in those standby lines.

And since people with FPs still get in standby lines in addition to their FP, they are effectively in 2 lines at a time. A virtual line for your FP and a physical standby line.
If everyone is in 2 lines at a time, it makes those standby lines considerably longer.

Put another way — You’re standing in line — if hundreds of people are allowed to cut you, of course that makes the line longer.

Goofyernmost

That’s exactly what I’m saying. And I’ve done it- secured a FP for one of the mountains at 6pm day of and rode it an hour later. This has happened in my experience multiple times during multiple trips. People’s plans change and they switch around their FP reservations on the app. Disney also opens up the availability of more FPs as demand at the park changes throughout the day. Those of us who have a child who really wants to ride Space Mtn again, will check the app repeatedly throughout the day to try and secure that FP. And it is doable. Maybe you didn’t have the same experience I had - no idea nor do I care, sorry. Your experience with FP has nothing to do with me. I don’t concern myself with what other park goers do or cannot do. FP was awesome for us.
Good job. The problem with that is that a FP at 6pm is a waste of paper or bytes. Sounds like a lot more attention had to be spent watching for FP's to open up then simply enjoying the place. That is up to you and I'm not going to judge you if that is what works for you. I don't even bring a camera with me because I don't want to miss any of the place looking through a lens. It is to each his own, but I'd guess that there are as many of us that liked how it was before FP's and know how it was, timewise and enjoyment wise. We will get what they decide to give us and we have the choice not to if we want. Not showing up to me is completely stress free.

Goofyernmost

It all comes down to: do you want to wait in an hour+ line or not? If you don’t, then you’re like me and are willing to check the app multiple times that day to see if a FP opens up. If you’re lazy and don’t want to take 2 mins to check the app then you wait. It’s as simple as that
Just curious, have you added up the time you have had your nose stuck in your phone looking for that or even before you left home while you were setting up your initial Fastpasses. How about how many times and how long you took to get from one side of the parks to another to claim your new found FP's. How about how much times you spent just waiting for your window to open up. You know like you have time from your last attraction to kill before your window opened. Sometimes significant time when you had to be idle because there wasn't enough time to see another attraction and get back. Walking from place to place is more strenuous then standing and sometimes takes longer. How about having to skip things because you also made an reservation at a favorite restaurant and you didn't have time to do one and still make your reservation time. All that counts as if you were waiting in a line for whatever ride you wanted to see. You have to add in all the time, not just subtract the time saved for using that precious FP.

G00fyDad

FP absolutely does make lines longer. The transition from old FP to FP+ didn’t makes lines longer overall as it re-distributed lines. Rides that already had FP stayed about the same or got a little shorter, as people were pushed to other attractions. While rides that didn’t previously have FP, got longer standby lines.

But unquestionably, having FP making standby lines longer, versus not having any FP system.

It’s a mathematical certainty. If a ride can accommodate 1500 people per hour…. But it gives out 1200 FPs per hour, then the standby line only allows 300 people per hour, backing up the standby line. Take DHS with their tiers— only a fraction of guests per day can get a FP for each feature attraction. So most people still need to ultimately get in those standby lines.

And since people with FPs still get in standby lines in addition to their FP, they are effectively in 2 lines at a time. A virtual line for your FP and a physical standby line.
If everyone is in 2 lines at a time, it makes those standby lines considerably longer.

Put another way — You’re standing in line — if hundreds of people are allowed to cut you, of course that makes the line longer.

Your point has been proven wrong time and time again. No. It does not make them longer. Oh, and there is a thread specifically for this argument.

LittleBuford

Just curious, have you added up the time you have had your nose stuck in your phone looking for that or even before you left home while you were setting up your initial Fastpasses. How about how many times and how long you took to get from one side of the parks to another to claim your new found FP's. How about how much times you spent just waiting for your window to open up. You know like you have time from your last attraction to kill before your window opened. Sometimes significant time when you had to be idle because there wasn't enough time to see another attraction and get back. Walking from place to place is more strenuous then standing and sometimes takes longer. How about having to skip things because you also made an reservation at a favorite restaurant and you didn't have time to do one and still make your reservation time. All that counts as if you were waiting in a line for whatever ride you wanted to see. You have to add in all the time, not just subtract the time saved for using that precious FP.
Even accounting for all those things, I still believe that FP+ saved me many precious hours. I'm sad it won't be coming back.

MorphinePrince

Fastpass was great for me as an AP. Getting in the parks for a few hours and a fireworks show. Doing 3 rides with little to no wait. And enjoying the atmosphere. Im gonna miss that about it.
Yep. It was awesome being a local and snagging a FP for one or two rides, watching the fireworks, and bouncing. That said, I did hate how widespread FP+ was in the parks. The legacy days were truly the best when you had to be in the park to grab them. Wouldn't mind see something like that return digitally.

havoc315

Your point has been proven wrong time and time again. No. It does not make them longer. Oh, and there is a thread specifically for this argument.

It’s been proven again and again that FP does make lines longer. It’s a mathematical law.
Tell me — if you’re 3rd in line, and 300 people then cut in front of you, does that increase your wait?

Touring plans did a detailed analysis when FP+ came out — showed that lines mostly increased for rides that didn’t already have FP.

Pirates of the Caribbean, Haunted Mansion, and Spaceship Earth didn’t have FASTPASS in the couple of years leading up to the introduction of FastPass+. We think the increases in wait times here are primarily due to the preferential treatment FastPass+ guests get in boarding these rides.

G00fyDad

It’s been proven again and again that FP does make lines longer. It’s a mathematical law.
Tell me — if you’re 3rd in line, and 300 people then cut in front of you, does that increase your wait?

Touring plans did a detailed analysis when FP+ came out — showed that lines mostly increased for rides that didn’t already have FP.

It doesn't make them longer. Did I win?

Chi84

Premium Member

That article doesn’t support your “3rd in line with 300 people cutting in front of you” statement 🙄 It basically shows very little difference in wait times.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
if you’re 3rd in line, and 300 people then cut in front of you, does that increase your wait?

If you're third in the FP line then no. But you can't (at least couldn't to that point) get a FP for every ride. So you need to balance your 10 minute wait on Splash (while you're cutting in front of 300 people) with your 50 minute wait on Thunder (while 300 cut in front of you). I think most would be okay with an average 30 minute wait spread out between both rides.

FP isn't intended for one ride. It's designed based on averages. If you want to go into a park and ride 3 rides and leave - then that's your prerogative. But there are many others that jockey for additional FP and even wait in regular lines.

Your day isn't broken up by windows. If though, you can get 10, maybe 12 rides and wait an average of 20-30 per ride, have time for a TS or quality QS, watch a parade, and do some shopping........who cares "who cut in front of you".

Last edited:

Fido Chuckwagon

You’re forgetting a key variable though, the number of people that previously would have been in the standby line with you who now are not because they are in a fastpass line. Fast passes only makes lines longer on net in your scenario if it leads the average person to ride more rides per day then without fastpass. As someone with young kids who even with fastpass rarely could ride more than one ride per hour between bathroom breaks and changing diapers and etc, I totally believe that fastpass didn’t raise lines in the aggregate, especially as it helped redistribute people to lower volume rides. Heck, I once had a few days in a disney trip where, because of a recovery situation, I had 3 fastpasses booked at Magic Kingdom plus 3 anytime any ride recovery fastpasses. I literally could not use them all.

havoc315

That article doesn’t support your “3rd in line with 300 people cutting in front of you” statement 🙄 It basically shows very little difference in wait times.

No… read it. It’s about the transition from FP to FP+ did not increase lines overall — because it reduced the lines that already had FP. But it INCREASED the lines of rides that didn’t have FP previously.
Going from FP—> FP+ did not increase lines.
But going from No FP —> FP/FP+, the lines increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom