FastPass+ Most Certainly Not Coming Back As It Was

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jedijax719

At this point I think it’s safe to say Disney doens’t care if all of their guests are standing in 90 minute lines for everything. The only reason they’ll bring back a line skip is to make more money, not because they care about guest satisfaction.
If satisfaction is low enough that the stakeholders see a decline in numbers and revenue, they will care. For stakeholders, any noticeable reduction in revenue is a big deal.

And FP+ was always real to those who used it and put forth the effort and planning to use it. For those that don't (for whatever reason-it's all a choice), then 90-120 minutes for some rides is expected as the norm.

G00fyDad

The ONLY way to improve lines for all guests is to build more rides and add more capacity.
Agreed.
FP+ was mostly illusory. Outside of MK, the other 3 parks— it basically let you skip 1 line per day, while making all the standby lines 120 minutes instead of 90.
Disagree. FP did not make the SB lines longer.
WDW does care about guest satisfaction — because it does contribute to profits. A satisfied guest isn’t just more likely to return to WDW, they are also more likely to buy DVC, take a Disney cruise, visit a different Disney resort, buy Disney merchandise, subscribe to Disney+.
Agreed.
But there is a strong argument that overall, the FP+ was more hurtful than helpful to overall guest satisfaction.

- The headache of having to plan most of your trip 60 days in advance
A lot of us LOVE planning. I do. I have spreadsheets upon spreadsheets.
- Having to wake up early morning at the 60 day mark, and even then, getting locked out of FPs you wanted.
Always got up early and I always got the FP's that I wanted.
-Dealing with longer standby lines outside of your 1 Tier-1 FP.
No. You didn't. SB lines were not longer by any noticeable amount.
They are absolutely right to completely re-visit HOW they do line skipping. The question is whether the new system is better or even worse for most people.
Agreed. I am hoping for a hybrid that allows for the original 3 free FP's and then a tiered pay level.

Goofyernmost

Oh for the love of God…here we go again with this same old nonsense. FP was “equal” and “fair”in every aspect because it was free! It wasn’t the rich family VIP line. Even the value resort guests were allotted the exact same FPs the deluxe resort guests were, even though deluxe resorts cost a heck of a lot more. So I paid for a deluxe resort- don’t see me going on and on about how I should’ve gotten more than 3 of the offered FPs because I paid more. So I don’t see how your argument makes any sense in how Disney now only caters to the rich in regard to FP. There was no trickery involved with FP- did you have to get up early to secure the major attractions? Yeah so what! That has nothing to do with rich or poor. Do you want a FP for Slinky Dog or not? It’s not about your annual income but about perseverance, determination, and will. Some people have that and some don’t. That’s what it all comes down to. Maybe you don’t like that that’s what it comes down to and that’s your right of course to dislike the process of FP but don’t make it into something it’s not. It’s obvious you don’t want it to return so that those of us who don’t mind waking up early to secure our FPs for our vacation don’t “smugly” pass you by in the SB line anymore. But that’s not reality. Reality is that all the major amusement parks are offering a FP like system and it will return at Disney in some form like it or not. And I hope SOON
So you were saying that after they ran out, which they did sometimes quite early those guests were able to get a FP? How did that work? Those that had more than one child to get ready that arrived after many of the sought after FP's were gone, were equally treated? That has been debunked years ago, but you keep believing it if it makes you fell better. That those that got a 30 day head start to get all the FP's that were worth getting leaving those 30 day guests with nothing but unwanted, previously unnecessary FP's were treated equally? Sorry, not buying it.

mikejs78

Premium Member
So you were saying that after they ran out, which they did sometimes quite early those guests were able to get a FP? How did that work? Those that had more than one child to get ready that arrived after many of the sought after FP's were gone, were equally treated? That has been debunked years ago, but you keep believing it if it makes you fell better. That those that got a 30 day head start to get all the FP's that were worth getting leaving those 30 day guests with nothing but unwanted, previously unnecessary FP's were treated equally? Sorry, not buying it.
There were very few attractions that were completely out at 30 days out.

Usually I stayed onsite so didn't get to experience the off-site FP experience, but i. 2019 I had a late business trip to the Orlando area (2 weeks notice). I was easily able to get FPs for Big Thunder, Space Mountain, Test Track, Soarin, Tower of Terror, Rock and Roller Coaster, Everest and the Safari without any effort. With a little persistence I got additional FPs for Seven Dwarfs, Slinky Dog, and Flight of Passage.

Chi84

Premium Member
That's the beauty of FP+. You don't have to get to the parks early, so getting the kids ready quickly wasn't an issue. And they wouldn't run out because you reserved them in advance! Also, we've done quick turn-around trips (less than three weeks to plan) and I was able to get quite a few desirable FastPasses, including FOP and SDD. I'll miss the FP+ system because it worked so well for us, but I suppose we'll just have to adjust to a new system. Hopefully, we won't have to get up early on vacation or wait in long lines for every ride - I'd pay quite a bit to avoid that scenario!

Goofyernmost

There were very few attractions that were completely out at 30 days out.

Usually I stayed onsite so didn't get to experience the off-site FP experience, but i. 2019 I had a late business trip to the Orlando area (2 weeks notice). I was easily able to get FPs for Big Thunder, Space Mountain, Test Track, Soarin, Tower of Terror, Rock and Roller Coaster, Everest and the Safari without any effort. With a little persistence I got additional FPs for Seven Dwarfs, Slinky Dog, and Flight of Passage.
You know the system, if you didn't you would be standing in standby. You are also one person, when there are literally thousands of people trying to score one. Timing is everything and most of us cannot spend every minute in the process. The reality is, it just isn't worth it and it has taken the spontaneity and fun out of the experience for those of us that were there early on. Everyone has the idea that there were no crowds back in the 80's, but it was just as crowded as it is now and it was only after the end of 1982 that there was more then one park. They didn't have very many hotels, but the area surrounding WDW was ginormous, gas was cheap and people traveled. The additions of the hotels did not increase the numbers of visitors it only increased the numbers staying onsite and decreasing the numbers offsite.

Goofyernmost

That's the beauty of FP+. You don't have to get to the parks early, so getting the kids ready quickly wasn't an issue. And they wouldn't run out because you reserved them in advance! Also, we've done quick turn-around trips (less than three weeks to plan) and I was able to get quite a few desirable FastPasses, including FOP and SDD. I'll miss the FP+ system because it worked so well for us, but I suppose we'll just have to adjust to a new system. Hopefully, we won't have to get up early on vacation or wait in long lines for every ride - I'd pay quite a bit to avoid that scenario!
Everything has some advantage and that, as far as I can tell, was the only plus to it. But, I still continue to feel that due to my own experience it was only fair when there was no FP at all to worry about. Crowds did their own dispersing making all pretty much equal as far as attendance was concerned and then it was first come, first served and you knew where you stood when you made the decision about what time to get there. Sometimes the simplest things are the most efficient and fair. I miss the no FP at all system because it worked so well for us.

MJM

That’s exactly what I’m saying. And I’ve done it- secured a FP for one of the mountains at 6pm day of and rode it an hour later. This has happened in my experience multiple times during multiple trips. People’s plans change and they switch around their FP reservations on the app. Disney also opens up the availability of more FPs as demand at the park changes throughout the day. Those of us who have a child who really wants to ride Space Mtn again, will check the app repeatedly throughout the day to try and secure that FP. And it is doable. Maybe you didn’t have the same experience I had - no idea nor do I care, sorry. Your experience with FP has nothing to do with me. I don’t concern myself with what other park goers do or cannot do. FP was awesome for us.

MJM

That’s exactly what I’m saying. And I’ve done it- secured a FP for one of the mountains at 6pm day of and rode it an hour later. This has happened in my experience multiple times during multiple trips. People’s plans change and they switch around their FP reservations on the app. Disney also opens up the availability of more FPs as demand at the park changes throughout the day. Those of us who have a child who really wants to ride Space Mtn again, will check the app repeatedly throughout the day to try and secure that FP. And it is doable. Maybe you didn’t have the same experience I had - no idea nor do I care, sorry. Your experience with FP has nothing to do with me. I don’t concern myself with what other park goers do or cannot do. FP was awesome for us.
It all comes down to: do you want to wait in an hour+ line or not? If you don’t, then you’re like me and are willing to check the app multiple times that day to see if a FP opens up. If you’re lazy and don’t want to take 2 mins to check the app then you wait. It’s as simple as that

Jrb1979

It also depends on the size of your party. For me cause I either am solo or with my wife it's easy to get them. I know for those with bigger groups it's hard to do.

Even though it worked for me I haven't liked the either FP system. My gripe is I detest having to be told when I can ride something when I go to a park. I much prefer most other parks systems where you buy a wrist band and jump into whatever queue you want when you want.

Imagine not having to refresh the app all day to try to get another FP. Just walk into the FP queue and be done with it.

ImperfectPixie

It also depends on the size of your party. For me cause I either am solo or with my wife it's easy to get them. I know for those with bigger groups it's hard to do.

Even though it worked for me I haven't liked the either FP system. My gripe is I detest having to be told when I can ride something when I go to a park. I much prefer most other parks systems where you buy a wrist band and jump into whatever queue you want when you want.

Imagine not having to refresh the app all day to try to get another FP. Just walk into the FP queue and be done with it.
It's a vacation. It shouldn't require so much effort for it to be enjoyable.

Chi84

Premium Member
Everything has some advantage and that, as far as I can tell, was the only plus to it. But, I still continue to feel that due to my own experience it was only fair when there was no FP at all to worry about. Crowds did their own dispersing making all pretty much equal as far as attendance was concerned and then it was first come, first served and you knew where you stood when you made the decision about what time to get there. Sometimes the simplest things are the most efficient and fair. I miss the no FP at all system because it worked so well for us.
People vacation so differently. We hated standing in lines before FP and just skipped the most popular rides when we visited with my mom. FP+ worked well for us but I know it wasn’t good for many others and can understand why it needs to be changed.

It will be interesting to see what Disney comes up with to replace it. From what I’ve read here and seen where I live, major amusement parks all have some type of ride reservation system so I don’t think WDW will ever return to standby only. We are sent guest satisfaction surveys for either the parks or resorts after every visit so I think Disney has a pretty good idea of what their guests want.

Jrb1979

People vacation so differently. We hated standing in lines before FP and just skipped the most popular rides when we visited with my mom. FP+ worked well for us but I know it wasn’t good for many others and can understand why it needs to be changed.

It will be interesting to see what Disney comes up with to replace it. From what I’ve read here and seen where I live, major amusement parks all have some type of ride reservation system so I don’t think WDW will ever return to standby only. We are sent guest satisfaction surveys for either the parks or resorts after every visit so I think Disney has a pretty good idea of what their guests want.
Agreed every park has a skip the line system. The biggest difference is Disney makes more complex then it needs to be. No other park makes FP users reserve times to ride. You just go into the FP queue. The only downside is the cost.

Chi84

Premium Member
WDW is just not like other theme parks in size, scope or length of guests’ visits. A lot of people who invest the time and money in a WDW vacation want some assurance that they will be able to get on certain rides without have to get up at the crack of dawn or spend their vacation standing in lines. There are many guests who are more than willing to plan in advance in order to get what they want and Disney knows it.

Our local Six Flags allows you to buy different levels of fast passes, but they’re too expensive for most of the kids who visit often, so the system works well. I hesitate to think what WDW would have to charge to make a straight paid system work. Too many people would want to buy it. So my thought is it will be some sort of hybrid that allows some free to resort guests and possibly different levels of paid access after that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom