Fastpass+, a solution to "overwhelmingly negative" responses from families

LuvtheGoof

DVC Guru
Premium Member
However, nothing is stopping you from going at a more leisure pace and taking breaks, ect. You just have to be smart about it. It's a theme park people... And probably the safest one at that.

Since we have joined DVC, we tour at a MUCH slower pace. We visit WDW 2-3 times a year, usually for at least a week at a time, and NEVER at the crazy busy times. We haven't used FP at all in the last few years, so I'm not sure how we feel about FP+, until it goes into full production. We know when to go to the parks to experience the attractions we want, but if FP+ causes greatly increased standby wait times, even early in the morning, we may have to rethink our strategy. For the record, on our last trip just last week, we were there for 6 days before even riding an attraction! There is just so much more to do, and we still haven't come close to doing it all! We had an AWESOME vacation, and it was very relaxing. :D It won't work for those once-in-a-lifetime guests, but it certainly works for us. If we don't get to an attraction on one trip, that's OK, because we know we will be back in a few months.

PhotoDave219

I wouldn't assume that Disney's app is presenting actual data in the first place. What if the primary purpose of the app is crowd control or managing expectations? If crowd control is a purpose, the app will be used to manipulate wait times to push people towards/away from certain attractions. If managing expectations is a purpose, it will tend to exaggerate actual waits, as guests are more likely to be satisfied if they "only" wait 45 minutes for an attraction that had a 90 minute posted wait than they are if they waited 45 minutes for an attraction with a 30 minute posted wait.

(Disclosure: I work for TouringPlans.)

This also assumes that the wait times are even remotely accurate and arent being manipulated by the cast members who hand out the flik cards by holding them an extra 5-10 minutes to artificially inflate the line.

It happens all the time.

G00fyDad

This also assumes that the wait times are even remotely accurate and arent being manipulated by the cast members who hand out the flik cards by holding them an extra 5-10 minutes to artificially inflate the line.

It happens all the time.

What?!?! You're ruining my squeaky clean image of CM's here... :(

fosse76

Ignoring the privacy issues and the limited number of available FPs...has anyone really thought about the practical aspects of having all of this tied to your smartphone? And by that I mean battery life. Let's face it, when a phone is in constant use, the battery can drain very fast. Most people will have dead batteries before they reach the third hour of use. And does Disney really want people just sitting around charging their phones (and NOT spending money)? Not to mention only about 50% of cell phone users have smartphones, so even with the FP terminals they will be setting up, there will be crowd control issues with them.

Despite the fact that I abhor the idea of Disney knowing practically my every move under NextGen, I hate the loss of FP. It's clear they are limiting them to 3 per guest per day. I easily use 6 or 7 (if not more), and quite a few for the same attraction. That is now all gone. So now instead of me spending money by getting a snack or lunch or dinner, I am now spending the time in line. Since I now have to wait in longer lines, I won't have time to spend the money I might have spent because now I have to get in another line in order to maximize the number of attractions I can experience. Plus I always park hop, so now I can't get a FP at one of the parks I visit.

Well Disney lost this guest. I haven't been since September (and by this time, I would have gone at least three time since then). I have allowed my Annual Pass to lapse and have no intentions of renewing it. I have gone to DLR twice since my September trip to WDW, and my third trip to UOR since Sept. is coming up next weekend. TDO has shown they have no interest in offering anything to guests who are not 5 year old girls, and instead just want their money and personal data for marketing purposes. I have no intentions of allowing that. Perhaps if people didn't begrudgingly accept this from businesses, we wouldn't have these issues. And I am sorry, but new bathrooms, expanded seating at Fantasmic!, and new entry roads to DHS should not get anyone excited. These are infrastructure changes that should be done without fanfare.

asianway

Ignoring the privacy issues and the limited number of available FPs...has anyone really thought about the practical aspects of having all of this tied to your smartphone? And by that I mean battery life. Let's face it, when a phone is in constant use, the battery can drain very fast. Most people will have dead batteries before they reach the third hour of use. And does Disney really want people just sitting around charging their phones (and NOT spending money)? Not to mention only about 50% of cell phone users have smartphones, so even with the FP terminals they will be setting up, there will be crowd control issues with them.

Merfs rant about the Tangled restroom charging station was priceless...

Epcot '92

We do our best to distribute FLIKS on time and accurately. We dont pump up wait times. We try our best to get guest through our lines as quickly as possible. Sometimes the wait time is inaccurate. Especially when capacity changes dues to ride vehicles not working, or guest issues. Please don't overgeneralize us. We are here to make your day better, not to ruin it. (Despite what 95% of this forum thinks)

FP+ was well received during the December test, for cast and guest. Im in the minority, but I like NGE. It will help ease families days.

Now that I lit the match, I'm gonna hide from this flame war...

ParentsOf4

FP+ gives WDW a significant psychological advantage over other theme parks. Many guests will treat FP+ selections like dining reservations. Once made, guests are going to want to keep those reservations. FP+ selections will act as incentives to visit WDW rather than other Orlando area destinations.

I have a FP+ reservation on Monday for Space Mountain, Tuesday for Test Track, Wednesday for Toy Story Mania, Thursday for Expedition Everest, and Friday for Splash Mountain. Which one of these am I willing to forgo so I can visit The Boy Who Won’t Be Named?

Disney hopes FP+ stems the tide flowing north on I-4.

Buried20KLeague

I know on my recent trip, my iPhone 5's battery was draining much faster than in the "real world". I'm guessing it had to do with constantly searching and catching and dropping wifi? I'm not sure. But it definitely dropped faster than normal. I found myself manually turning wifi off for long stretches in order to conserve battery... Which seems counter-productive to what they're trying to get me to do, no??

My kids' older iPhones were even worse.

lebeau

TDO has shown they have no interest in offering anything to guests who are not 5 year old girls, and instead just want their money and personal data for marketing purposes.

People who say this clearly have not been to Disney World with 5 year old girls. I have and there is a lot less aimed at them then people think.

mcurtiss

one of my big suggestions to a friend of mine going next week is to get a Morphie Juice iphone battery case. The extra battery life is key as we often had ours die on the bus ride home late at night.

I got very astute about finding power outlets within the MK. ;)

PhotoDave219

We do our best to distribute FLIKS on time and accurately. We dont pump up wait times. We try our best to get guest through our lines as quickly as possible. Sometimes the wait time is inaccurate. Especially when capacity changes dues to ride vehicles not working, or guest issues. Please don't overgeneralize us. We are here to make your day better, not to ruin it. (Despite what 95% of this forum thinks)

Then you need better CMs. Ive watched this practice happen for years. Its not a "once in awhile" thing and its not "oh this random CP did it." Its accepted practice especially in AdLib & Frontierland and has become part of that culture.

Don't overly defend your fellow CMs; they're not all good. (Despite what 95% of CMs actually believe). Your location may follow OG but not everyone does.

PhotoDave219

Haha, 4 hidden plugs is considered a charging station. I have to admit, I almost always get a laugh out of Merf.

Whomever suggested the charging lockers - like what they have at Disneyland - is exactly what is needed. You're moving to NGE where each family is encouraged to view and make their plans using the mobile phone app, so you need a place to charge your phone that is safe and secured.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom