FastPass+’s Possible Impact on Standby Lines

doctornick

They probably need to restrict AP holders to a limited number of days. If not you could just go on and book FP+ for every day of the year at the 60 day mark just in case you might show up that day. I am sure most people wouldn't bother, but you never know. Question is, how many days is the limit?

There was a rumor of 20 FP+ per quarter (i.e. every 3 months) for AP owners. At 3 FP+ a day, that would be just under 7 days. I could see that being the limit each quarter.

erasure fan1

What is the average guests Disney IQ?

Is the average guest even going to understand what their FP+ choices are or mean? And will they just allow the system to pick them for them?
I would say it is not very good. Most average people going to Disney have very little clue as to whats going on. I am very curious as to how this will play out for the average guest as well. Maybe this system will be crazy easy and intuitive to use. Considering that it seems most of the average guests can't utilize the regular fast passes, this just screams problems. I guess we will see soon enough.

John

I personally am very interested to see this thing roll out....moan and groan if you want to....its here. I am putting my return to WDW on hold for the forseeable future. I am going to let the "giunea pigs" go first. It will give Disney time to tweek the system. No matter what the system is when rolled out there are going to be people who dont know the system....never heard of it.....has no clue how to use it....very upset when they learn that they have spent a ton of money and are at a disadvantage as soon as they walked through the gates.

I suggest if you havnt got a trip booked yet....to hold off. Let the dust settle. I am sure we will hear how the system is structured and what the pluses and minuses are. Even with the information that Disney has released none of it gives many details....just more questions. So far it looks like PO4 has put a ton of work into understanding the program ( dude dont you have a job:)) and he even isnt sure of the details. We should all take a collective deep breath watch our Youtube videos and hope for the best.

I suggest...stay tuned...FP+ is comming to a park near you soon.

muteki

That's how it was in testing, but it's not clear that it will be that way when they roll it out. It's quite possible that the system will allow you to pick specific times or attractions if you want to. Though there will likely be some option of "let WDW pick for me" for less familiar guests.

If such restrictions were being placed on users during trial periods, when hardly anyone was using the new system, I find it hard to believe that it will be any more lenient when everyone is using it.

ParentsOf4

Original Poster
It's interesting to know exactly how many people are going to plan their vactions so meticulously like some of us OCD fanboys. What is the average guests Disney IQ?
It's not a matter of intelligence. Most WDW guests are "smart" people. (People who visit wdwmagic.com are even "smarter".;)) It's a matter of experience.

WDW is an incredibly intimidating and confusing place for the uninitiated. Imagine cramming a semester's worth of knowledge into a week's vacation. That's what WDW is like.

Most are on vacation and simply don't want to memorize a 300-page travel guide containing WDW tips. It's a vacation, who can blame them?

It does put Disney in an incredibly strong position. WDW guests want to believe "Disney" is a benevolent entity, how they imagine Walt Disney was. They instinctively want to trust "Disney". It's about family entertainment, right? What's not wholesome about family entertainment? And that's where I get most upset at TWDC executives. They are taking advantage of this trust in order to manipulate their "guests" in ways that would make the ordinary person ashamed. TWDC has no shame. To TWDC, shame is a quant 19th Century concept that doesn't belong in the 21st Century boardroom.

Returning to the point of this thread, people who are familiar with WDW will recognize that many Standby lines will grow needlessly longer because of FP+. Disney is creating a false benefit for its "guests" so it can repackage it with a lot of datamining technology and sell it to unsuspecting customers, while simultaneously reducing other real benefits such as EMH. Disney should be ashamed with how it treats its customers.

Longhairbear

It's not a matter of intelligence. Most WDW guests are "smart" people. (People who visit wdwmagic.com are even "smarter".;)) It's a matter of experience.

WDW is an incredibly intimidating and confusing place for the uninitiated. Imagine cramming a semester's worth of knowledge into a week's vacation. That's what WDW is like.

Most are on vacation and simply don't want to memorize a 300-page travel guide containing WDW tips. It's a vacation, who can blame them?

It does put Disney in an incredibly strong position. WDW guests want to believe "Disney" is a benevolent entity, how they imagine Walt Disney was. They instinctively want to trust "Disney". It's about family entertainment, right? What's not wholesome about family entertainment? And that's where I get most upset at TWDC executives. They are taking advantage of this trust in order to manipulate their "guests" in ways that would make the ordinary person ashamed. TWDC has no shame. To TWDC, shame is a quant 19th Century concept that doesn't belong in the 21st Century boardroom.

Returning to the point of this thread, people who are familiar with WDW recognize that many Standby lines will become needlessly longer. With FP+, Disney is creating a false benefit for its "guests" so it can repackage it with a lot of datamining technology and sell it to unsuspecting customers, while simultaneously reducing other real benefits such as EMH. Disney should be ashamed with how it treats its customers.
We are going to wait this all out for a few years. We used to be twice a year guests, and that went to once a year, to haven't been in going on 3 years. That's for various reasons, mostly economics. We do have DVC memberships at VWL, and have been using our points mostly at DLR.
One of the downsides to using points in CA is having to plan so far in advance to get a villa, as there are only 50, and they book up quickly. But you don't see Disney adding any more.
When we did stay at the various Villas of DVC in WDW we have been cooking in room, to save money, and because DDP made getting seating at decent places impossible for us. Places booked up sooner, and the quality suffered greatly. For us, fine dining is part of a fabulous vacation, along with quick serve locations. Part of dining in villa is ordering groceries weeks in advance, and I really, really hate that. I may not be in the mood for Frosted Flakes I got for breakfast, and wished I got a sack of flour, or a mix for pancakes instead.
We fly in, so our solution is going to benefit the car rental companies, and may enrage the local grocery delivery services. I want fresh groceries that I can plan, and get in a short trip using a rental car. It's the same plan my parents used when they rented a vacation cabin by a lake during my childhood. And they could run out and get something they forgot quickly. Of course the gallon of vodka we need will be cheaper off site.
We want to make the most of having a rental car, so we will go offsite, as I mentioned in another post. We might even shake off some pixie dust and finding that having a car is better than using the buses. That's for others to know, and for us to find out.
The bottom line for us, we don't want to micromanage our vacations.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I wonder if you have to have tickets in hand to schedule FP+? My parents (who are DVC) typically just book a room and buy the tickets while in the resort.

My guess? Probably in some form... read on.

They may get smart and assume a grace period.. and say 'if you have a hotel reservation for those days, we'll assume you'll have tickets' and later let you link the ticket to the existing profile.

Or, they could even assume an even GREATER grace period and say 'If you have no ticket on file, and no room reservation, we'll let you book up to n days of FP+ - once you link a room or a ticket, we will let you book your actual number of days' (and maybe even a few more if we need to account for add-ons). n could be 1-3 for instance.

Disney knows how many people don't advance purchase tickets (see.. this is where that Data Mining comes into play...) and should know how big of an issue this potentially is. There are far too many scenarios where people need to exchange tickets, buy onsite, buy more, etc. Additionally, for years, Disney will have people with old ticket media they may not be able to link their tickets (hopefully they can add existing MYW tickets to help minimize this..). Disney will not want to discourage people when buying tickets.. so they need to be soft in this area.

If it were me I would propose a model like this:

- If you have no tickets on file.. assume they can book 2 days worth
- If you have a room reservation on file.. assume they can book length of stay + 2 (grace period)
- If you have tickets on the account (and provide a way to manually add a ticket..).. assume they can book for length of ticket + 2 (grace period)
- If you have both room and tickets on file, assume the greater of the two
- If you have a AP.. they have an allocation of days they can use
- If you are DVC, treat like a room reservation
- If you have an AP and room reservation, assume whichever is greater, their allocation or room stay
- Provide a way for customer service to authorize a # of days

I think that covers most scenarios...

disneyeater

Do you really spend more than 25 days a year in a WDW park? I am jealous;)

I don't spent that many days, but if I get an AP it is to do a 10 day vacation and then next year just before it runs out do another 10 day vacation. If 20 FP were the limit per quarter, I couldn't get FP+ for each day of my trip. Hopefully, if I stay in a resort hotel, I can get length of stay FP no matter what tickets I have.

sublimesting

I'm going to give this a fair try. But I gotta say my Disney trips may be in jeopardy. FP was the only thing that brought me back to Disney after years of not going. Why, because there is not one ride there worth me standing around for 1-2 hours. It just never sounded like a good time to go to the 95 degree Florida sun and stand in sweat all day to get a few rides in. With FP I was able to maximize my trip and rarely waited more than 20 minutes for anything. At any one time I always had 4 FPs in my hand. I rolled them all day long and alternated that with short lines.
Now, I love planning my trips as much as anyone but I draw the line at planning out rides months away. We park hop and like to do what suits us at that moment (not to mention we have a 3year old). How do I know if I even need a FP for a ceratin ride at a certain time on a certain day. If Disney goes to the option of either wait for 1-2 hours or plan 6 months out for a chance of 3-4 FP per day that I may or may not need, I'm not sure we'll be going back. That hurts badly to say but for the amount Disney costs, I'm not willing for my vacation to be spent in lines.

mrmonka

Does anyone know how this will affect Cast Members? (sorry is this was already brought up somewhere else). I was just in WDW and was not able to use the new RFID turnstiles and I had a Silver Pass to enter. Curious to know how I will be affected going forward...

John

My guess? Probably in some form... read on.

They may get smart and assume a grace period.. and say 'if you have a hotel reservation for those days, we'll assume you'll have tickets' and later let you link the ticket to the existing profile.

Or, they could even assume an even GREATER grace period and say 'If you have no ticket on file, and no room reservation, we'll let you book up to n days of FP+ - once you link a room or a ticket, we will let you book your actual number of days' (and maybe even a few more if we need to account for add-ons). n could be 1-3 for instance.

Disney knows how many people don't advance purchase tickets (see.. this is where that Data Mining comes into play...) and should know how big of an issue this potentially is. There are far too many scenarios where people need to exchange tickets, buy onsite, buy more, etc. Additionally, for years, Disney will have people with old ticket media they may not be able to link their tickets (hopefully they can add existing MYW tickets to help minimize this..). Disney will not want to discourage people when buying tickets.. so they need to be soft in this area.

If it were me I would propose a model like this:

- If you have no tickets on file.. assume they can book 2 days worth
- If you have a room reservation on file.. assume they can book length of stay + 2 (grace period)
- If you have tickets on the account (and provide a way to manually add a ticket..).. assume they can book for length of ticket + 2 (grace period)
- If you have both room and tickets on file, assume the greater of the two
- If you have a AP.. they have an allocation of days they can use
- If you are DVC, treat like a room reservation
- If you have an AP and room reservation, assume whichever is greater, their allocation or room stay
- Provide a way for customer service to authorize a # of days

I think that covers most scenarios...

Nope you may have missed one.....I get in on my mothers gate pass....I dont get any?:(

John

Does anyone know how this will affect Cast Members? (sorry is this was already brought up somewhere else). I was just in WDW and was not able to use the new RFID turnstiles and I had a Silver Pass to enter. Curious to know how I will be affected going forward...

This.....sorry I basically repeated the same thing.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Nope you may have missed one.....I get in on my mothers gate pass....I dont get any?:(

See.. as a good manager.. I said 'most' not 'all' :D

Your scenario would likely be covered by the first bullet - give anyone a 2 day grace booking. But then your problem is matching your ticket to your profile. That could be something done once in the park. Or an alternative would be to have CMs be allowed to make reservations for 'connected friends' and then when they sign someone in, the profile is selected, and an appropriate ticket already linked to the profile is generated. The latter is a bit more complex - I could see someone picking the first scenario at least to start with. The # of transactions that fall under this would probably help steer that choice.

There are lots of scenarios where the guest doesn't have 'ticket in hand' or a reservation. Yours being an example.. and an example I don't see changing anytime easily. Its far easier to just give some leeway, then it is to try to build a strict system that can account for every variation. Because there is always another variation :)

This comes down to the type of thinking and leadership they have. The 'customer first..' or experienced implementer says 'give the leeway, the pros far outweigh the cons'. The outsourced to India method says 'spec says must have ticket.. no ticket, no booking'. The inexperienced exec says 'we can't risk people booking without tickets! no ticket, no booking'.

I don't think there is a huge risk of reservations being tied up by grace users who never use them.. because you need to use a profile, and there is little to be gained by doing so. Disney could also easily lock profiles that repeatedly don't show up to limit a profile's usability to game this. There probably has to be more thinking about that.. but at the high level, I still think the pros outweigh the cons.

Sneezy62

Just thinking about Astro Orbiter and how it's standby line will be affected. It's slow as it is. Didn't they try to put FP on it at one time but took it off because it was so cumbersome?

John

See.. as a good manager.. I said 'most' not 'all' :D

Your scenario would likely be covered by the first bullet - give anyone a 2 day grace booking. But then your problem is matching your ticket to your profile. That could be something done once in the park. Or an alternative would be to have CMs be allowed to make reservations for 'connected friends' and then when they sign someone in, the profile is selected, and an appropriate ticket already linked to the profile is generated. The latter is a bit more complex - I could see someone picking the first scenario at least to start with. The # of transactions that fall under this would probably help steer that choice.

There are lots of scenarios where the guest doesn't have 'ticket in hand' or a reservation. Yours being an example.. and an example I don't see changing anytime easily. Its far easier to just give some leeway, then it is to try to build a strict system that can account for every variation. Because there is always another variation :)

This comes down to the type of thinking and leadership they have. The 'customer first..' or experienced implementer says 'give the leeway, the pros far outweigh the cons'. The outsourced to India method says 'spec says must have ticket.. no ticket, no booking'. The inexperienced exec says 'we can't risk people booking without tickets! no ticket, no booking'.

I don't think there is a huge risk of reservations being tied up by grace users who never use them.. because you need to use a profile, and there is little to be gained by doing so. Disney could also easily lock profiles that repeatedly don't show up to limit a profile's usability to game this. There probably has to be more thinking about that.. but at the high level, I still think the pros outweigh the cons.

As for personal situation I most always stay on property and I think that a profile could be connected to my room reservation. But that isnt to say there might be a time I wont be. The trouble I see is that these scenarios fall in that "tweener" space. I am sure someone thought of it. As you have said there are many ecenarios we havnt thought of or giving detailed information about.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom