Fast & Furious- Supercharged details officially released

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Flight of Passage is set up like Simpsons/Back to the Future but with individual simulators and glasses.

Actually, FoP is more like Simpsons than you think. The 'cycles' that guests sit on are bolted to a floor, nine per rank, two ranks per row, three stacked rows per theater. Each rank of nine seats swings together as a unit. And three stacked ranks (half a theater) is lifted up and down together by big ol' pistons. So, not individual simulators. In a way, FoP is pretty much Soarin' on steroids (but way more than just an improvement).

FOP as a 'simulator' pushed boundaries though - really immerses you into the experience, with the feel, smells, sounds, and the actual ride.

Simply putting a screen up and having a vehicle move you forward is lazy in it's extreme.

Universal were always ahead of the game (despite limited budgets compared to Disney). Back to the Future when it came out was ahead of the game, Spiderman 15 years ago pushed the boundaries even more. However, last few years they've fallen way behind the game.

JT3000

FOP as a 'simulator' pushed boundaries though - really immerses you into the experience, with the feel, smells, sounds, and the actual ride.

FoP is a fun ride, and probably the best theater-style motion simulator right now, but none of the features you just mentioned are even remotely new or unique to it.

FoP is a fun ride, and probably the best theater-style motion simulator right now, but none of the features you just mentioned are even remotely new or unique to it.

I haven't been in a motion simulator that was immersive as FOP. That wasn't just down to the simple ride and visual - it was the sum of other parts that really pushed the boundaries.

Compare that to Fallon, Kong, Fast N Furious - all just lazy, poor rides.

Disneyhead'71

I haven't been in a motion simulator that was immersive as FOP. That wasn't just down to the simple ride and visual - it was the sum of other parts that really pushed the boundaries.

Compare that to Fallon, Kong, Fast N Furious - all just lazy, poor rides.
Personally, I like Kong better than FoP. And think it is considerably more immersive. All you have to do during FoP, to completely ruin the magic, is turn your head to either side.

OG Runner

I am guessing that is why both Disney and Universal are making quite a bit of money in Florida.
There are things to like in both resorts that appeal to different people. Sometimes it is just personal
preference and not that something is actually better or worse. I love Rockin' Roller Coaster, but do
not think I could do Hulk. I have just found I am more comfortable not seeing the track and being
outside on a coaster. (Yes, I like Space Mountain also.)

Jaison

Didn’t Disney do the EXACT SAME THING when copying rides to Orlando? Almost the entirety of MK is a copy of Disneyland. Then they brought over Soarin’, Little Mermaid, Toy Story Mania, Star Tours, Lights Motor Action, and more, including stores, bars and restaurants.

And wasn’t Disney’s last completed attraction a screen-based one? (Flight of Passage)

Up until recently, Universal was restricted with expansion capabilities. F&F will be a great replacement for the dated and low-attended Disaster attraction.

I have no problem with the cloning of attractions across parks; I was merely commenting on the fact that after Universal stated they were moving away from designing screen based attractions due to guest complaints they again are installing the F&F ride and the new Kung Fu Panda.

The F&F franchise deserved so much more in Orlando much like Frozen did in Epcot; I do understand the limitations in Hollywood with adding it to the tram tour and their decision to clone the KONG system, but in Orlando they did not have those limitations.

I get that they are limited to what they can do with the Shrek Theater and completely agree that the F&F ride will be more of a draw than the old Disaster! ride, however I still feel this is lazy of them and I am especially disappointed with the F&F decision.

OG Runner

Is there a specific reason that people think it has to be an either, or, with Disney & Universal? A good number of the comments
during discussions, seem to through digs in, against those voicing an opinion on one or the other park. They are both places of
amusement and different people find different things amusing. Lighten-up!

I haven't been to Disney recently enough to weigh in on FoP, but I will say that Kong is under-rated. If it was at DHS instead of IoA, Disney fans would be foaming at the mouth over it.

If Animal Kingdom essentially replaced every attraction with the same ride system as FOP, and everyone a screen ride - it would become quite annoying too.

JT3000

If Animal Kingdom essentially replaced every attraction with the same ride system as FOP, and everyone a screen ride - it would become quite annoying too.

F&F isn't in the same park as Kong, so a more accurate comparison would be Animal Kingdom adding ride systems that can be found in Disney's other parks, which is exactly what they've done.

lebeau

Is there a specific reason that people think it has to be an either, or, with Disney & Universal? A good number of the comments
during discussions, seem to through digs in, against those voicing an opinion on one or the other park. They are both places of
amusement and different people find different things amusing. Lighten-up!

If you're referencing my comment, no dig at Disney was intended. Hyperbolic Disney fans on the other hand need to lighten up!

lebeau

JamieCooper, I get that you are not looking forward to F&F. If you look back early in the thread, you'll see this attraction doesn't appeal to me either. But you keep overstating your case. It's not even a slight exaggeration. You are implying that every ride in Universal Studios is the same ride system as F&F which isn't remotely true. If you want to argue that USO has too many motion simulators, that's a much more defensible position.

JamieCooper, I get that you are not looking forward to F&F. If you look back early in the thread, you'll see this attraction doesn't appeal to me either. But you keep overstating your case. It's not even a slight exaggeration. You are implying that every ride in Universal Studios is the same ride system as F&F which isn't remotely true. If you want to argue that USO has too many motion simulators, that's a much more defensible position.

It's not the actual ride that i (and most Universal fans) have an issue with.

If this ride was in isolation, you could say it's pretty decent. But when nearly 90% of the rides are bloody screens and screens and screens and screens you start to take issue with the direction the park planners are going.

We had attractions like Jaws, (the original) Kong, all physical rides - that went and replaced with screen rides. The park needs a mix, instead we have a creative team who are destroying the park with this bizarre love for motion simulators and screens.

JoeCamel

If this ride was in isolation, you could say it's pretty decent. But when nearly 90% of the rides are bloody screens and screens and screens and screens you start to take issue with the direction the park planners are going.

We had attractions like Jaws, (the original) Kong, all physical rides - that went and replaced with screen rides. The park needs a mix, instead we have a creative team who are destroying the park with this bizarre love for motion simulators and screens.
Ok, you created your account to push this point, have pushed said point for a week now so what will you follow up with? We understand your position.
Do you need us to sign a petition?

Disneyhead'71

Kongfrontatation was replaced by Mummy, which has a lot of practical effects.

And I'm pretty sure Diagon Alley is more popular than the Jaws ride ever was.

And Universal just rebuilt Hulk and opened a whole water park, neither of which are screen heavy.

0517-volcano-bay-beauty.jpg

lebeau

Once again, I agree with the point you are making. But then you go way overboard in bold print. I would like to see more practical effects and less reliance on screens going forward. The last few additions to USO and IoA haven't blown my socks off. But in no way have the parks been ruined. Transformers and Kong were new additions. If you don't like them, don't ride them. Fallon and F&F replaced Disaster and Twister. Hardly major losses there.

Meanwhile, Uni has been making major additions elsewhere on property where they are needed most. All the while, they are still upgrading the parks themselves. As Disneyhead'71 pointed out, the Hulk got rebuilt, Volcano Bay opened, we have replacements coming for Shrek, Terminator and Dragon Challenge plus Nintendo on the horizon. This is not what "destroying the parks" looks like.

I hope that some of the new attractions will mix things up a little. I completely agree that after riding Despicable Me, The Simpsons, Transformers, Spider-Man, Kong, Gringott's, Fallon and now F&F, the screens get a bit repetitive. So hopefully the rumors are true and we get a few more attractions like the Hulk, Jurassic Park, Dudley Do Right, Men in Black, E.T., Flight of the Hippogriff, Pteranodon Flyers, everything in Seuss Landing, the Nuthouse Coaster, Rip Ride Rockit, Popeye's Bilge Rat Barges and the Mummy which do not rely on screens.*

*Please note which of those two lists is longer.

There's room to criticize Universal. As fans, we shouldn't blindly praise everything they do. But let's not lose perspective either. A few years of adding C- and D- tickets while beefing up hotels and adding a (massively ambitious) water park is not exactly a slump!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom