Fast & Furious- Supercharged details officially released

lazyboy97o

origin of the phrase suggests otherwise -
no sane person believes they're actually on a banshee in pandora, but it is the conscious suspension of disbelief that allows us to be able to be tricked into feeling like we're flying

what i think you're jiving at would be more akin to being amazing by magic, but in so doing, irrational is made/appears rational as opposed to knowing what it is you're experiencing is fake and allowing yourself to go with it, even if on a fleetingly conscious level
Suspension of disbelief is not being delusional. It means accepting the story because it has strength in its own internal rules , logic and presentation. It is not actively ignoring problems. If a magician is trying to make a person disappear and you see that person walk off stage you’re not supposed to “suspend disbelief” and pretend you didn’t see the poor execution of the trick.

smile

Suspension of disbelief is not being delusional. It means accepting the story because it has strength in its own internal rules , logic and presentation. It is not actively ignoring problems. If a magician is trying to make a person disappear and you see that person walk off stage you’re not supposed to “suspend disbelief” and pretend you didn’t see the poor execution of the trick.

i've not inferred it was delusional - simply stating phrase 'suspension of disbelief' is, in fact, a willed action...
seeing that person walk of the stage shatters illusion as the irrational is exposed as irrational.

only after having suspended disbelief can one be 'removed' by poor execution, as being removed implies having been there to begin with

lazyboy97o

i've not inferred it was delusional - simply stating phrase 'suspension of disbelief' is, in fact, a willed action...
seeing that person walk of the stage shatters illusion as the irrational is exposed as irrational.

only after having suspended disbelief can one be 'removed' by poor execution, as being removed implies having been there to begin with
The willingness to participate is the starting point but it only goes anywhere based on the story being told. You end up just automatically accepting the fantastic because of the strength of the story. It is not actively ignoring the shortcomings of the story being told, which is how it is used.

ColinP29

For everyone moaning at the motion simulators, Universal are still getting the numbers through the gates so it can't be that bad.

The opinion of some people on here, or the millions who give their money to Universal. I wonder who they will go with??

JT3000

For everyone moaning at the motion simulators, Universal are still getting the numbers through the gates so it can't be that bad.

The opinion of some people on here, or the millions who give their money to Universal. I wonder who they will go with??

It does seem as if people on these types of forums sometimes forget that they don't represent the parks' larger audience, or that the parks' decisions aren't aimed at pleasing them specifically. That being said, the general public is easy to please and doesn't care about quality control like we do, so it's kind of a separate discussion altogether.

Tom Morrow

Original Poster
I actually do hear a lot of "the rides are good but all the same" talk from the general public. UOR isn't doing itself any favors with what, six, seven screen-heavy rides in a row?

Last edited:

ColinP29

I actually do hear a lot of "the rides are good but all the same" talk from the general public. UOR isn't doing itself any favors with what, six, seven screen-heavy rides in a row?

What percentage of the general public who attend Universal have you talked to on a regular basis?

Disneyhead'71

After Kong opened, the screen fatigue was starting to ramp up. After Fallon, it was a full on movement. Universal is aware, so they killed the 3D on this attraction and the plan to bring 3D to Forbidden Journey and are changing course for future attractions. They have partnered with a high tech AA shop, and are already putting them to use on multiple projects.

lebeau

After Kong opened, the screen fatigue was starting to ramp up. After Fallon, it was a full on movement. Universal is aware, so they killed the 3D on this attraction and the plan to bring 3D to Forbidden Journey and are changing course for future attractions. They have partnered with a high tech AA shop, and are already putting them to use on multiple projects.

I wish I could "like" this multiple times.

Ragerunner

I like parks that have balance. IOA and AK I feel do a great job of this. Some coasters, water attractions, family rides, dark rides, a few screen based rides and amazing theming.

Is US too screened based at this time - in my opinion yes. They have 7 main screen based attractions and 7 non screen based (that is 50% not 90%).

How about Disney studios - by this summer their main attraction count will be 3 screen based (40%) and 4 non screened based (60%).

Let's look at epcot - out of what I consider their main attractions (14) 6 are screened based and 8 are non screened based. (Those numbers could go to 7 a piece depending on what you label nemo.) Add in ratatouille and epcot will have you in front of a screen just as much as US.

I think there is a place for all types of attractions - i just enjoy the parks that are more balanced over all.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I sure hope so! Would love more variety for sure. But what Universal has accomplished in the last 10 years is quite amazing, obviously HP had much to do with their success but we now go to Universal annually, something didn't do years ago.

Source for this?

Still waiting for the quotes from the previous poster who was defending Universal saying they were going to stop screen attractions.

Guess what though ... they've just announced Kung Fu Panda a 3D SCREEN SHOW over at Universal Hollywood, which will no doubt replace Shrek.

So they haven't really got the message have they.

What percentage of the general public who attend Universal have you talked to on a regular basis?

What percentage do you talk to that defend the sheer volume of motion simulator / 3D attractions?

Everyone in my family, my immediate friends, locals, various vloggers, online twitter all complain of Universal overusing 3D / Motion Simulators.

There is not one person on this planet who is saying "Universal Studios needs another screen ride''. Except the Universal creative time, hence we are getting Fast N Furious.

JT3000

Source for this?

Still waiting for the quotes from the previous poster who was defending Universal saying they were going to stop screen attractions.

Guess what though ... they've just announced Kung Fu Panda a 3D SCREEN SHOW over at Universal Hollywood, which will no doubt replace Shrek.

Guess what though, they just announced Kung-Fu Panda in Hollywood... last summer. Theme park attractions aren't designed overnight either. What did you expect them to replace a 3D theater show with, anyway?

What percentage do you talk to that defend the sheer volume of motion simulator / 3D attractions?

The GP don't usually discuss theme parks at all, much less defend them. Why do you expect them to have relevant data to pull from?

Everyone in my family, my immediate friends, locals, various vloggers, online twitter all complain of Universal overusing 3D / Motion Simulators.

While their opinions are valid, I'm pretty certain that your friends and family aren't driving Universal's profits. Way too small of a sample size to be meaningful. Also, vloggers aren't the GP and Twitter is a questionable source at best.

Last edited:

Disneyhead'71

Source for this?

No one is saying that Universal will never again build a screen based attraction at any of their resorts around the world. Just they they are aware the the balance of attractions at UOR and more specifically USF has tilted too far in that direction.

USH doesn't have that problem.

Last edited:

JT3000

No one is saying that Universal will never again build a screen based attraction at any of their resorts around the world. Just they they are aware the the balance of attractions at UOR and more specifically USF has tilt too far in that direction.

USH doesn't have that problem.

USH definitely has that problem. More so than USF. Even the studio tram tour is half screens at this point.

ColinP29

There is not one person on this planet who is saying "Universal Studios needs another screen ride''. Except the Universal creative time, hence we are getting Fast N Furious.

I don't speak to any of the general public about this, but the numbers who constantly visit Universal plus the amount of annual pass holders at Universal don't seem to have any issue with the number of screen rides. It's the 'Listen to me, I'm important and my opinion should matter more than others' group on these forums that go on about it. Just because you don't like it (A ride you haven't even experienced yet) doesn't make it right. You don't like the number of screen rides, stop going. It will be one less miserable person in the queue.

smile

Universal don't seem to have any issue with the number of screen rides. It's the 'Listen to me, I'm important and my opinion should matter more than others' group on these forums that go on about it.

untrue - it is an 'issue' and uni is aware - a consideration that now factors into current projects in development...
not that screens aren't going to be used, of course (get used to that... from everyone), but wholesale screen bias should diminish.

f&f is essentially a holdover and kf is going in an actual theater

untrue - it is an 'issue' and uni is aware - a consideration that now factors into current projects in development...
not that screens aren't going to be used, of course (get used to that... from everyone), but wholesale screen bias should diminish.

f&f is essentially a holdover and kf is going in an actual theater

So wait let me get this straight - Universal are aware there are too many screens and the balance is wrong - but are about to Greenlight Kung Fu Panda - another screen 3D video attraction.

LOL - once again i assume this falls under the 'it's a just a filler attraction, so it's okay if it's average' mantra.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom