Fantasyland expansion a go - CONFIRMED

The Empress Lilly

Do you think the castle in the Fantasyland addition can be seen from outside the park and will it compete with Cinderella castle for your attention inside the park?
No, Belle's castle can't be seen from very far, and it won't compete with Cinderella's castle. The new castle will be very heavy on forced perspective.

Concept art can be a great instrument to help visualise an idea. It can also be a bit deceptive. What we need to expect in real life, is the theming to look like this:

Go back even further add in initial builds and some more refurbs and Im sure you’ll find some other things to muddy the waters further, I checked my post and I’m sure I say twice it is my opinion, rather than an undisputable fact. But I cant figure why my opinion seems so dangerous to you. We are afterall talking about my perception of whats happened post EE.

I notice you dont comment on the marketing.

And nice attempt to patronise, but trust me you really dont want to be going down that route.

I do find it odd the amount of new posters who seem to get upset at my posts, you do wonder if the old multiple account monster is rearing its ugly head again.

Your opinion does not seem dangerous, I was just looking for some spirited debate. I understand they are your perceptions, and I was giving mine. I thought that was the point of this whole thing. And, I didn't comment on marketing because I didn't think that was part of our discussion.

Also, patronise? I didn't intend to do that and I'm not sure what about my post you find patronising. I apologize if I offended you.

And I am a new poster but I am not upset, and I'm not even sure what the multiple account monster is.

I was just looking for some spirited debate.
Nevermind.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I have to agree with Pumba, it does seem that Disney is aiming at the very young kid demo. I am 27, about to get married and have said young kids. But I don't want to go to the park and not have anything I can enjoy with them, or without them for that matter. I love the look of the new FL in the concept art, but it is a little underwhelming to have it all leading to meet and greets. Making a card for aurora is not a repeatable experience, I would argue that most people will be skipping this and getting right to the meet and greet.

To call this MK's version of world showcase is the most ridiculous argument I have heard thus far. A lack of attractions does not a World Showcase make. The reason WS is so amazing is the total immersion in the country & culture being showcased. This includes food, drink, merch, CMs from that country. FL is nothing like WS. It is a more elaborate Toon Town Fair, albeit a beautifully rendered one, but still just lots of meet and greets. The restuarant will be spectacular, as will TLM, but those are two of many facets, and the rest seem to be designed toward the very young.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Your opinion does not seem dangerous, I was just looking for some spirited debate. I understand they are your perceptions, and I was giving mine. I thought that was the point of this whole thing. And, I didn't comment on marketing because I didn't think that was part of our discussion.

Also, patronise? I didn't intend to do that and I'm not sure what about my post you find patronising. I apologize if I offended you.

And I am a new poster but I am not upset, and I'm not even sure what the multiple account monster is.

I was just looking for some spirited debate.
Nevermind.

The danger with "spirited debate" is that recently certain posters seem keen to descend things into fan boy v doom n gloomer slagging matches creating negatives that dont exist or have never been stated. I mention multiple accounts as some posters created such things in order to spark arguments, the reason why its not allowed. And just so we are clear I found the “lets do the math” patronising, had I been more familiar with you and your posting styleeee I wouldn’t have bated an eye, as I too have been known to indulge in spirited debate, sometimes just for the sake of arguing, sometimes just to annoy Jt, and sometimes because its a slow day here at work.

I mentioned marketing because I think it is a major factor as (again in my opinion) shows that Disney are clearly targeting that market, especially here in the UK. Im all for a spirited debate just dont think that its possible in this instance as it seems to come down to those who while pleased are less than over come as whats being offered as part of the new build but that doesnt seem to have much to suit their taste. Kind of hard to debate that, its just personal preference.

The merits of Epcot old and new however..........................

TheBeatles

To call this MK's version of world showcase is the most ridiculous argument I have heard thus far. A lack of attractions does not a World Showcase make. The reason WS is so amazing is the total immersion in the country & culture being showcased. This includes food, drink, merch, CMs from that country. FL is nothing like WS. It is a more elaborate Toon Town Fair, albeit a beautifully rendered one, but still just lots of meet and greets. The restuarant will be spectacular, as will TLM, but those are two of many facets, and the rest seem to be designed toward the very young.

Agree.

brkgnews

It's very interesting to see that MK is returning to a park made up of 6 lands. Hasn't been that way since June, 1988.
Time to change the lyrics to the Welcome Medley, I guess. :lol:

A kingdom full of endless dreams for every girl and boy /
Wondrous lands of make-believe will fill your heart with joy /
A castle leads the entrance way to seven lands and more /
Step inside our story book, imagine what’s in store!

EPCOT Explorer

Two quick thoughts...

Do you think the castle in the Fantasyland addition can be seen from outside the park and will it compete with Cinderella castle for your attention inside the park?

Since these photo ops are in place of typical Disney attractions, can we expect 1-2 hour waits just to take a picture?
The buildings won't compete with the skyline, but we will be able to go FAR behind the castle for many new views. :D

:eek: You have been missing out on one of, if not THE most underrated Disney animated feature.

Really, now!?:D Yep, it's on the list. :lol: Hope they have it....Can you believe that my local blockbuster does not have Alice in Wonderland?!:fork:

EPCOT Explorer

Time to change the lyrics to the Welcome Medley, I guess. :lol:

A kingdom full of endless dreams for every girl and boy /
Wondrous lands of make-believe will fill your heart with joy /
A castle leads the entrance way to seven lands and more /
Step inside our story book, imagine what’s in store!

Maybe Pixie Hollow can be considered the 7th? :shrug:

RSoxNo1

Just wanted to throw my two cents in,
Pumbas, you say that the recent additions have all had an eye toward the primary school age group. What about American Idol?
And, Toy Story Mania is not specifically geared towards kids, it is truly an all-in-the-family attraction.

Turtle Talk, Nemo at the Living Sea, Nemo the Musical, Toy Story Mania, Poohs Playground, Cabelerros at Mexico, The faioled Stitch stage show, Stitch at AE, Laugh Floor etc all aimed at being suitable for that group, and there is no denying that is how the current marketing positions Disney.

Now last time I rode it looked to me like kids were actually enjoying EE, Soarin, TT, The Mountains, so it doesnt have to be all passive cutsey ideolised childhood. Though Im sure price is a factor in some of the decison making, and something is better than nothing as it keeps the lines in front of me a little lower.

American Idol seems to be a great hit, cheap as chips and all the quality of a good bowel movement.

Just my opinion.

Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to be rude or anything, I just don't see the facts adding up to your theory.

Let's do some math. Going back to 2003, lets count up what has been added/refurbed that you consider for all ages and that you consider to be for kids only.

All Ages- American Idol, HOP refurb, SE refurb, HM refurb, POTC refurb, Everest, Soarin', LMA, Narnia, Mission Space

For Kids- TSMM, MILF, Turtle Talk, Nemo, Nemo Musical, Pooh's Spot, Caballeros, Stitch Show, Stitch Ride, Philharmagic

That's 10 for each and I would find that people of all ages and not just kids enjoy TSMM, Nemo Musical, Caballeros, and Philharmagic.

What's weird is that the majority of the fanbois on here are in the exact demographic that Disney has been unable to cater to directly. That 18-30 male demographic has been tough for Disney to grab hold of, and creating attractions that appeal directly to that group would almost seem out of place. That doesn't prevent them from building attractions like Everest, but like it or not - that demographic has never been Disney's main target.

SirGoofy

What's weird is that the majority of the fanbois on here are in the exact demographic that Disney has been unable to cater to directly. That 18-30 male demographic has been tough for Disney to grab hold of, and creating attractions that appeal directly to that group would almost seem out of place. That doesn't prevent them from building attractions like Everest, but like it or not - that demographic has never been Disney's main target.

But see I don't even think that's what most people have a problem with. People aren't asking for thrill rides out the wazzo, they're just asking for something that isn't completely dominated by princesses and 5 year olds.

It really wouldn't have been that difficult to throw something like Hercules, Aladdin, Robin Hood, Sword in the Stone, etc.

Because I don't care what anyone says, the majority of boys are not going to be excited to line up for an hour to make cards for Sleeping Beauty, another hour for knight training, and another hour for storytime with Belle.

figmentisgreat

So it seems most of you thing just because they announce something and show you concept pictures that they are going to build it.:ROFLOL:I understand most of you have small kids who would like a meet and greet OK fine.But my prediction Dumbo area will be nothing more than Dinoland almost an exact copy.As for phase two stuff probably will never happen.All they did at the announcement was make a lot of hoopla over nothing.I pay a lot of money for tickets to ride rides not for autographs and a picture of an actress dressed like Belle.So basicly we got one new ride a couple meet and greet huts and a new place to eat and another Dumbo ride WOW!So if its announced and has concept art then where is Walts EPCOT?

I don't see how someone can go to Magic Kingdom for rides - that's never been something that I've understood. With the exception of the mountains, there really aren't any "thrills," and even those thrills are mild. Additionally , the other rides are very, very kid themed. I think that if you pay to go to MK for rides, you are already wasting your money, IMHO.

For me, when I go to MK, I go for the immersive experience which is EXACTLY what this expansion is going to provide. I go so that I can cry like a baby when I see the castle and so I can revert back to being a child. I think a lot of people feel the same way as I do - the ones that go to MK for the rides end up being the people that say that Disney is "stupid."

SirGoofy

I don't see how someone can go to Magic Kingdom for rides - that's never been something that I've understood. With the exception of the mountains, there really aren't any "thrills," and even those thrills are mild. Additionally , the other rides are very, very kid themed. I think that if you pay to go to MK for rides, you are already wasting your money, IMHO.

Completely disagree. The vast majority of people come to MK for rides.

figmentisgreat

Completely disagree. The vast majority of people come to MK for rides.

You're right - I need to clarify what I mean when I say 'rides.'

When I think of rides, in the traditional sense, I think of people wanting a 'thrill.' With the rides in Magic Kingdom, there isn't much variance of motion. I view the rides (again, other than the mountains) as shows that you move through without realizing that they're shows. I'm having trouble getting my thoughts across (I'm at work). When I think of "rides" I think of an experience in which the motion is the central purpose for going on it. I think that the rides in MK have the story as the central purpose.

Again, this is all just my opinion.

RadioHead

I know what I'm about to say will proably be unnoticed by most of you, but I do have a suggestion. In sake of making peace, why don't we just call it a draw?

We know nothing really. All we can base our information are from a few pieces of concept art, and a blueprint. People who say this will be a great addition might have a different opinion later on when this comes out. On the same token people who think this is very girl oriented and a lame addition might also have a different opinion later on. Alot of the lands are proabley not finnalized (Pixie Hollow for example), and maybe feature future attractons in the Phase 2. Again in the same token the budget may be cut even further and the atmosphere from the concept art will look like apples, and orangers.

Point is we need to wait. This expansion isn't coming out till 2013, and MANY things can be changed from today and 4 years till now...Not saying you shouldn't give your 2 Cents, but just be open minded. An not base everything from just concept art...

The Conundrum

You're right - I need to clarify what I mean when I say 'rides.'

When I think of rides, in the traditional sense, I think of people wanting a 'thrill.' With the rides in Magic Kingdom, there isn't much variance of motion. I view the rides (again, other than the mountains) as shows that you move through without realizing that they're shows. I'm having trouble getting my thoughts across (I'm at work). When I think of "rides" I think of an experience in which the motion is the central purpose for going on it. I think that the rides in MK have the story as the central purpose.

Again, this is all just my opinion.

Disneyland has been sucessful for 55 years because it has a wide assortment of attractions that appeal to everyone. The MK is severly lacking and turning it even more into a land for little girls and product placement isnt the answer.

wserratore1963

For me, when I go to MK, I go for the immersive experience which is EXACTLY what this expansion is going to provide. I go so that I can cry like a baby when I see the castle and so I can revert back to being a child. I think a lot of people feel the same way as I do - the ones that go to MK for the rides end up being the people that say that Disney is "stupid."
Agreed

I have been going to WDW since feb 72' - when I was 8 yrs old; and my enthusiasm has never waned. For the last 12 years I have taken my 2 boys; and they have virtually grown up in the park. When they were younger they would take great joy in "non thrill rides" and they still do- don't get me wrong they love the mountains, but they love Philharmagic, TTA and the Parade equally as much.

The great Joy of the parks is to be educated, Inspired and entertained. I welcome these new editions as the park continually evolves - just the way walt wanted.

I have now been a Child, tween, teen, adult and one day senior citizen of WDW - it never disappoints.

If all you want is roller coasters and thrill rides; Universal is a short ride away.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom