Fantasyland expansion a go - CONFIRMED

DisneyPrincess'

I'm so excited for this expansion! When I was in Disney in may, my sister and I were talking about how badly fantasyland needed a face lift. I'm so excited to see the end result (in a few years of course).

jt04

I don't know. The castle is fine, I just think the dreamlights are much too glaring/bright for the village.:shrug:

Yes! That's fine. That's a great idea.

Dreamlights? Not so much.

Who suggested dreamlights for the new FL environments? Not me. I'd like to see them extend from the castle down Main Street USA. That would work. But the area outside the castle walls should receive an entirely different lighting design that evokes olde world holiday magic. The new Jim Carrey Scrooge movie should have an example of what I'd imagine they would do for those areas. The new FL lighting should be be amazing. Especially during MVMCP.

By the way Goof, Liberty Square is lit up quite well with electric lights if you need to see how an era that didn't have electricity can still be themed with it. And I love how the jungle cruise looks at night. That is another example. Perhaps you have seen it. :lol:

blakesse06

wow its just really great to see this amazing company is trying to really open something new and amazing this is what makes disney so cool and unique its about time to re-invent things congrats to all who are involved im glad to see real re-imagerning(sp) at work its about time im really excited hopefully it wont end here possibly new imag ride at epcot? ether way im glad things are heading in the right direction way to go! wdw has needed this for quite a while! its really cool to see good things finally happening :sohappy::sohappy::sohappy:

TheBeatles

I usually don't post anything very opinionated, but this new Fantasyland just doesn't sit right with me.

To me, this expansion is just a very detailed and expensive meet and greet area catered to girls. The only thing that has me excited is the Little Mermaid area because it contains an attraction. This is where the rest of new Fantasyland fails for me because it appears to be dinning and photo ops with characters.

I guess I'm disappointed because I know Disney can do better than this. A new area of the most popular theme park in the world is being built and we are given one new attraction (Dumbo already existed) and it's being supported by a restaurant and meet and greets. Is anything innovative or daring actually being accomplished here? Is this really enhancing the overall experience of a Disney park? Once people get over the new themeing and locales, will they realize it's nothing more than food and photos?

Besides Mickey's Birthdayland--which was thought to be temporary-- what other Disney park or expansion of one was built with the majority being used to meet characters.

Someone please tell me I'm wrong about this because I'd sure like to be.

blakesse06

I do understand where you are comeing from thats why i think the new star wars ride will be great but i know how cool the old imag ride was for me and horizons and sse as a kid this stuff really cought my attention as a young male hopefully disney can rebuild this i never wanted to do a meet and greet but as a boy thease rides were really cool and i liked them hopefully this re do wont stop at mk and mgm but never the less for young girls and ther family these plans seem great but i do agree this stuff dosent seem to appiling to the young male! but it is a move in the right direction none the less:wave:

The Conundrum

I usually don't post anything very opinionated, but this new Fantasyland just doesn't sit right with me.

To me, this expansion is just a very detailed and expensive meet and greet area catered to girls. The only thing that has me excited is the Little Mermaid area because it contains an attraction. This is where the rest of new Fantasyland fails for me because it appears to be dinning and photo ops with characters.

I guess I'm disappointed because I know Disney can do better than this. A new area of the most popular theme park in the world is being built and we are given one new attraction (Dumbo already existed) and it's being supported by a restaurant and meet and greets. Is anything innovative or daring actually being accomplished here? Is this really enhancing the overall experience of a Disney park? Once people get over the new themeing and locales, will they realize it's nothing more than food and photos?

Besides Mickey's Birthdayland--which was thought to be temporary-- what other Disney park or expansion of one was built with the majority being used to meet characters.

Quote for Truth

Hummer1676

Does anyone else think they are cutting themselves off for future expansion? By closing the back area off they can't grow out anymore. I would have figured they would have pushed it back more towards the railroad. It seems like a waste of space; don't get me wrong, i like the new area but it seems like they could have made better use of the space.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Why does it not surprise me that she finds something wrong with this? She didn't think it was coming, now she doesn't like it.

Some people are never happy and happy that they aren't. :rolleyes:

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
20081028-graphjam-glass-half-full-or-empty.gif

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
By closing the back area off they can't grow out anymore.
I`m sure the plan will allow for further northern expansion, even if takes another 40 years. The area north of the cast access road to the railroad is undeveloped though; despite being classified for expansion it would need a lot of heavy engineering, like 1969, to use it as a park area.

DisneyMusician2

Adding a brand-new e-ticket with a complete expansion and exterior re-theming of the land isn't enough?

More TS in Mk, which desperately needed one is bad?

Meet and greets for kids in FL that don't look like crud like Toontown Fair does are a bad idea?

I just don't see it. At some point, you've just got to be happy that this much effort is going into a highly detailed area of the park that truly needed it.

And a second Dumbo is a big deal to parents like me with small children:)

dznygirl64

So it seems most of you thing just because they announce something and show you concept pictures that they are going to build it.:ROFLOL:I understand most of you have small kids who would like a meet and greet OK fine.But my prediction Dumbo area will be nothing more than Dinoland almost an exact copy.As for phase two stuff probably will never happen.All they did at the announcement was make a lot of hoopla over nothing.I pay a lot of money for tickets to ride rides not for autographs and a picture of an actress dressed like Belle.So basicly we got one new ride a couple meet and greet huts and a new place to eat and another Dumbo ride WOW!So if its announced and has concept art then where is Walts EPCOT?

Disney-Nautifan

I like the expansion how it is. I'm sorry it es you off so much. OMG I cannot wait to see Beast's Castle!

I am sorry that I got angry, but in a way don't you get bored of the disney characters constantly popping up all the time like? Even the pixar charaters are getting SO annoying (stitch go home!!!) :mad:

But I just reallymiss the unqiue non-disney character attrations in the park, like Mission to Mars, Journey into imagination, 20'000 leagues under the sea, even Mr toad for crying out loud! :(

Nowadays its just clones, clones, clones, and oh yes, more clones of existing disney attractions that lack that wondeful imaginative unqiue disney flavour!! :cry:

Do any of you agree to my reasons for being dissapointed with the new fantasyland? :)

DisneyMusician2

I am sorry that I got angry, but in a way don't you get bored of the disney characters constantly popping up all the time like? Even the pixar charaters are getting SO annoying (stitch go home!!!) :mad:

But I just reallymiss the unqiue non-disney character attrations in the park, like Mission to Mars, Journey into imagination, 20'000 leagues under the sea, even Mr toad for crying out loud! :(

Nowadays its just clones, clones, clones, and oh yes, more clones of existing disney attractions that lack that wondeful imaginative unqiue disney flavour!! :cry:

Do any of you agree to my reasons for being dissapointed with the new fantasyland? :)

Eh. 20,000 Leagues was based on a very popular Disney movie at the time, and so was Mr. Toad. Toad is a Disney character just as much as Ariel or the dreaded Stitch (who is not a Pixar creation).

Mission to Mars was a cheap overlay of Mission to the Moon, which had become tired after we actually got there.

Journey Into Imagination was quite original and I would love to see more ideas like Figment and Dreamfinder.

Fantasyland was always about Walt marketing his current and future movies, and allowing kids and adults to feel like they were becoming a part of them. Why should it be different now?

And if an attraction in Cali or Hong Kong is awesome and they close it for Florida, BRING IT ON!

dznygirl64

I totally agree the new Fantasyland is a joke.You know we are going to get killed over this.FYI 20000 leagues and Mr Toad where Disney movies so they are Disney characters

DisneyMusician2

So it seems most of you thing just because they announce something and show you concept pictures that they are going to build it.:ROFLOL:I understand most of you have small kids who would like a meet and greet OK fine.But my prediction Dumbo area will be nothing more than Dinoland almost an exact copy.As for phase two stuff probably will never happen.All they did at the announcement was make a lot of hoopla over nothing.I pay a lot of money for tickets to ride rides not for autographs and a picture of an actress dressed like Belle.So basicly we got one new ride a couple meet and greet huts and a new place to eat and another Dumbo ride WOW!So if its announced and has concept art then where is Walts EPCOT?

Walt's EPCOT died with him. No one else had that kind of vision, and trying to build it without him would have been disastrous. Another TS restaurant was desperately needed in MK, and one with a great theme is a wonderful idea. Even if Phase 2 never happens this will still be a great improvement to an area that looks much the same way it did in the 80's with original attractions subtracted. Even if they did nothing and just added the Mermaid e-ticket it would have been an improvement worth getting excited over.

I totally agree the new Fantasyland is a joke.You know we are going to get killed over this.FYI 20000 leagues and Mr Toad where Disney movies so they are Disney characters

I still don't understand how completely revamping an area is a joke. What would have made this a better plan in your eyes?

Disney-Nautifan

This New Fantasyland will probably be good anyway, but I am so worried that they will eventually change the concept plans before it is built, or shrink the vast size of the place to save money!!! that is what proabably disney will do. You just wait and seeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!

dznygirl64

Walt's EPCOT died with him. No one else had that kind of vision, and trying to build it without him would have been disastrous. Another TS restaurant was desperately needed in MK, and one with a great theme is a wonderful idea. Even if Phase 2 never happens this will still be a great improvement to an area that looks much the same way it did in the 80's with original attractions subtracted. Even if they did nothing and just added the Mermaid e-ticket it would have been an improvement worth getting excited over.

I still don't understand how completely revamping an area is a joke. What would have made this a better plan in your eyes?
More rides!!!! Sick of meet and greets I understand Disneys reason to build them.Cheap to build and run.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom