Fantasyland expansion a go - CONFIRMED

jakeman

Listen huckleberry, im not condeming the dumbo expansion. As far as im concerned it was the best thing they announced at D23 aside from Star Tours II. What I don't like is this emphasize on the playarea is for kids and the adults sit on the bleachers which 100% goes against what walt disney did not want at his parks. In fact, he came up with the idea for Disneyland because he was sitting on a park bench at an amusment park waiting for his kids to get done with there carnival rides and playgrounds and he wanted a place where kids and adults could have fun together.
Good lord, that's like the catch-all quote for anything someone doesn't like. It's like the Godwin rule for Disney forums.

You don't know 100% what the que is going to be like. You have a rough outline and concept discussed by the project managers.

You could be 100% right. You could be 100% wrong. What if the parents had tazers and could taze other people's kids? They would still be on the bench and interacting.

There are numerous other scenerios that you refuse to acknowledge because, in this case, exactly what the project manager said fits your preconcieved notion of what to expect.

The Conundrum

There are numerous other scenerios that you refuse to acknowledge because, in this case, exactly what the project manager said fits your preconcieved notion of what to expect.

and this preconcieved notion comes from over a decade of reading about projects, seeing artwork, and then seeing the finished product. It is all about track record.

I can't say im 100% absoluetly right because im not on top of WDI 24/7 listening in on every discussion but based on there recent work and comments made you get an extremly good idea of what to expect.

jakeman

I do.

and to back up my "claims" you can watch the press conferance and hear the lead project manager say it himself

If you think im wrong then your setting yourself up for disappointment come 2012. Again its all there straight from the imagineers mouths.

What I don't like is this emphasize on the playarea is for kids and the adults sit on the bleachers...
You seem pretty sure...

Regardless we will see in a few years.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that you are wrong, just pointing out that we are very early in this process and there are numerous possiblities. Especially since TWDC has been all over the board with quality the past few years.

WDWGoof07

Listen huckleberry, im not condeming the dumbo expansion. As far as im concerned it was the best thing they announced at D23 aside from Star Tours II. What I don't like is this emphasize on the playarea is for kids and the adults sit on the bleachers which 100% goes against what walt disney did not want at his parks. In fact, he came up with the idea for Disneyland because he was sitting on a park bench at an amusment park waiting for his kids to get done with there carnival rides and playgrounds and he wanted a place where kids and adults could have fun together.
On the contrary, I believe this makes the Dumbo experience more inclusive. The parks can be tiring for parents with small children. No matter what gets built, the kids have a fun way to blow off steam. The parents will get a time to sit and relax in the shade at the very least (don't underestimate the value of shade). If some kind of interactive performance is incorporated, the parents can either participate or watch. It's their choice. Honestly, some parents don't like to participate and are fine with watching. But, when the time comes, everybody in the family gets to ride Dumbo. And everybody will enjoy it more because they'll all be refreshed.

The entire proposition makes Dumbo more attractive for a family. Compare what I just described to standing for a long time with no diversions. There's not enough payoff for the wait compared to the dark rides. As it stands now, parents split up - one sits on a bench and watches the other take Junior on the ride. With the "next-gen" queue, the wait is more enjoyable because it is more accomodating. There's more of a payoff in what seems like such a off-the-shelf ride now, and people will be more encouraged to ride it now that everyone can either play or relax in an immersively themed environment while waiting for their Dumbo ride instead of standing in a line.

EPCOT Explorer

Good lord, that's like the catch-all quote for anything someone doesn't like. It's like the Godwin rule for Disney forums.

You don't know 100% what the que is going to be like. You have a rough outline and concept discussed by the project managers.

You could be 100% right. You could be 100% wrong. What if the parents had tazers and could taze other people's kids? They would still be on the bench and interacting.

We agree.:lookaroun

What's to say it doesn't look like Tokyo?

gripshod

Am I the only one who says this is YAWN?

I love the idea of an expanded Fantasyland and the whole princess thing is awesome but let's be honest 4 years to make it happen? We get 1 E-ticket ride and hmmmmm a new restaurant and a new bigger dumbo? This is the "wow"; the greatest thing ever how?

To me a Pixie Hollow play zone, four years after the mediocre Pixie's marketing is over hardly seems exciting.

Don't get me wrong I love the idea of a bigger fantasy land, just don't understand the timeline. What happened to the day when we were excited about an "e-Ticket" every year or two?

Are we to assume the other 3 parks get nothing in this timeframe? What about the decaying future world of EPCOT? By 2013, no one will care or even remember what the American Idol fad attraction was all about.

To me it seems all the money is going to DCA and the other Florida park once again receives the scraps.

_Scar

To me a Pixie Hollow play zone, four years after the mediocre Pixie's marketing is over hardly seems exciting.

There are still 5 more movies after this year... so yea. Not over by a long shot.

Epcot and DAK have no plans yet announced.

And it's unreasonable to expect an e ticket every 1-2 years when dealing with 4 parks. Maybe with DLR, but it's spread out in WDW.

jt04

I love the idea of an expanded Fantasyland and the whole princess thing is awesome but let's be honest 4 years to make it happen? We get 1 E-ticket ride and hmmmmm a new restaurant and a new bigger dumbo? This is the "wow"; the greatest thing ever how?

Don't get me wrong I love the idea of a bigger fantasy land, just don't understand the timeline. What happened to the day when we were excited about an "e-Ticket" every year or two?

Are we to assume the other 3 parks get nothing in this timeframe? What about the decaying future world of EPCOT? By 2013, no one will care or even remember what the American Idol fad attraction was all about.

To me it seems all the money is going to DCA and the other Florida park once again receives the scraps.
:rolleyes:

One post in over 5 years and this is what you come up with?:brick:

First of all the majority of the new FL opens in 2012.

DCA has been getting work for years and will continue to get work for years. Apples/Oranges. Quality takes time however in every case.

Eventually Disney parks reach a level of "maturity" so naturally the pace of new attractions slows down over time. There was a time when people complained about the MK just as they do now about HKDL. "There aren't enough attractions!" :cry: But that is just how Disney builds most of the time. The same complaints have been made about Paris DL, Paris Studios, Disney/MGM, DCA and AK.

Once DCA is "fixed" along with the rest of DLR it will be much more self sustaining and won't need to have it's refurbs/expansions subsidized. That is great news for WDW. Your claim that WDW is just getting the scraps is utterly ridiculous in every way with all due respect.

Welcome to the boards! :wave:

gripshod

Reason for not posting.

:rolleyes:

One post in over 5 years and this is what you come up with?:brick:

First of all the majority of the new FL opens in 2012.

DCA has been getting work for years and will continue to get work for years. Apples/Oranges. Quality takes time however in every case.

Eventually Disney parks reach a level of "maturity" so naturally the pace of new attractions slows down over time. There was a time when people complained about the MK just as they do now about HKDL. "There aren't enough attractions!" :cry: But that is just how Disney builds most of the time. The same complaints have been made about Paris DL, Paris Studios, Disney/MGM, DCA and AK.

Once DCA is "fixed" along with the rest of DLR it will be much more self sustaining and won't need to have it's refurbs/expansions subsidized. That is great news for WDW. Your claim that WDW is just getting the scraps is utterly ridiculous in every way with all due respect.

Welcome to the boards! :wave:

First, the reason new people don't post more on this forum is because of statements like yours. The righteousness of the senior members.

For some reason you think my opinion is crap and yours is right. I think my comment about WDW receiving scraps is dead-on. (Soarin' over CALIFORNIA d'oh). Oh wait, a stunt car show from Paris? Sounds like scraps to me. The newest attraction in WDW is a game show .... BORING. Less we forget yet the other scrap... Toy Story Mania from DCA.

I am not saying these attractions are not stellar, just commenting that they have been used elsewhere first.

Soooo.... if you're all excited about a bunch of new Pooh playlands and over priced Princess restaurants great. I personally think the only thing worth enticing me to spend more money in WDW is the Mermaid ride three years from now. (and yes I can add, thanks!)
:fork:

gripshod

Not too much to expect in my opinion.

And it's unreasonable to expect an e ticket every 1-2 years when dealing with 4 parks. Maybe with DLR, but it's spread out in WDW.

I don't at all think a new e-Ticket every 1-2 years is unreasonable. When you factor in the millions of dollars that pour into the Florida resorts annually I totally think it is appropriate for Disney to add a stellar new attraction annually. (Most theme parks add a new coaster every 2-3 years to compete, why not Disney).

To me these over priced playlands are not going to attract tourists like a new e-Ticket.

The reason we didn't go this year was the fact that they only added a stale stage show based on a television show that has seen better popularity.

Just an opinion but I am hardly alone.

jakeman

For some reason you think my opinion is crap and yours is right.
This needs to be a warning box whenever someone opens Internet Explorer.

I think my comment about WDW receiving scraps is dead-on. (Soarin' over CALIFORNIA d'oh). Oh wait, a stunt car show from Paris? Sounds like scraps to me. The newest attraction in WDW is a game show .... BORING. Less we forget yet the other scrap... Toy Story Mania from DCA.
WDW has also gotten EE and Space. Additionally, if I recall, Toy Story Mania was developed to be deployed at both parks at the same time. Whille WDW has gotten clones, it's not like there has been an overwhelming developement of new attractions at any of the parks.
Soooo.... if you're all excited about a bunch of new Pooh playlands and over priced Princess restaurants great. I personally think the only thing worth enticing me to spend more money in WDW is the Mermaid ride three years from now. (and yes I can add, thanks!)
Is there more than one Pooh playground planned? Also, I don't believe the menu or prices for the restaurant has been released.

panther726

First, the reason new people don't post more on this forum is because of statements like yours. The righteousness of the senior members.

For some reason you think my opinion is crap and yours is right. I think my comment about WDW receiving scraps is dead-on. (Soarin' over CALIFORNIA d'oh). Oh wait, a stunt car show from Paris? Sounds like scraps to me. The newest attraction in WDW is a game show .... BORING. Less we forget yet the other scrap... Toy Story Mania from DCA.

I am not saying these attractions are not stellar, just commenting that they have been used elsewhere first.

WDW has also gotten EE and Space. Additionally, if I recall, Toy Story Mania was developed to be deployed at both parks at the same time. Whille WDW has gotten clones, it's not like there has been an overwhelming developement of new attractions at any of the parks.

You do realize that Mermaid is an E-ticket, right?:wave:
The reason you get critized is for posting false information. WDW has so many originals. Other than what Jakeman mention, WDW has Test Track, ToT, RnRC, Spaceship Earth, Dinosaur, etc.

I respect your opinon about the expansion. But when you make your statement about WDW getting "scraps", it kinda sounds like what you are saying is a fact also.

EPCOT Explorer

The reason you get critized is for posting false information. WDW has so many originals. Other than what Jakeman mention, WDW has Test Track, ToT, RnRC, Spaceship Earth, Dinosaur, etc.

I respect your opinon about the expansion. But when you make your statement about WDW getting "scraps", it kinda sounds like what you are saying is a fact also.

Not to nitpick....:eek: But TOT and RnRC are clones.:shrug:

Then again, they are (better...) clones of ours. Confusing, enough?:lol:

The Conundrum

I agree with you but to be fair we will be getting Star Tours II in the same timeframe at MGM Summer 2011 and this will be a true e-ticket (Im talking about brains being blown here).

Studios Fan

I don't at all think a new e-Ticket every 1-2 years is unreasonable. When you factor in the millions of dollars that pour into the Florida resorts annually I totally think it is appropriate for Disney to add a stellar new attraction annually. (Most theme parks add a new coaster every 2-3 years to compete, why not Disney).

I agree and it should be spread over the other parks (DHS and DAK specifically as they need the expansion).

WDWGoof07

The clones WDW has gotten in recent years can hardly be called scraps. Honestly I will never understand why people dislike cloning attractions between resorts. As long as it's thematically appropriate, I support it because more people get to experience good attractions that way. Most people won't visit more than one Disney resort in their lifetime. Why deprive them of something that's popular somewhere else?

If you think this land is just 1 E-Ticket, a restaurant, and meet and greets, you're wrong. This expansion is going to be themed out the wazoo, and half of the fun is going to be just exploring it. You really miss out on a lot if you just run from ride to ride.

Studios Fan

The clones WDW has gotten in recent years can hardly be called scraps. Honestly I will never understand why people dislike cloning attractions between resorts. As long as it's thematically appropriate, I support it because more people get to experience good attractions that way. Most people won't visit more than one Disney resort in their lifetime. Why deprive them of something that's popular somewhere else?

If you think this land is just 1 E-Ticket, a restaurant, and meet and greets, you're wrong. This expansion is going to be themed out the wazoo, and half of the fun is going to be just exploring it. You really miss out on a lot if you just run from ride to ride.

I couldn't agree more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom