Fantasyland expansion a go - CONFIRMED

IlikeDW

I've been thinking about the Cinderella, Belle & Aurora "attractions." I wondering if these are NOT meet & greets at all and just experiences for guest. So no pics and autographs at these spots, so truly attractions.

Several years ago (at least in 2006) the Magic Kingdom hosted a "Magical Beginnings Extra Magic Hour" for kids. Lots of characters came out and played with the kids, but no "formal" pictures or autographs were allowed. Peter Pan and Wendy were playing Red Light, Green Light, Minnie had a beach ball and was playing catch with the kids, Snow White and Dopey had an activity going on, Eeyore, Pooh & Tigger were playing with the kids in their playground. Anyway, so I wonder if some of these attractions were born out of the idea that the kids enjoy the interaction with characters in this way more than just getting a picture and autograph.

Just a thought. Plus maybe they figure that these three princesses can be met at other locations (character meals/Epcot) and the meet & greet format isn't necessary here. On the blueprints, Ariel has a labeled meet & greet as do Tink & Pooh, so maybe these others aren't glorified meet & greets as we all were assuming.

Other random thoughts on this. Helping Belle recreate the Beast story reminds me of a kids version of the World Showcase Players and the having a place to make a birthday card for Aurora is a version of a KidCot station (and they are a popular diversion for kids at Epcot) - so maybe thought something like this would be welcomed at the MK.

If you watch Jays entire speech on You tube it sounds like a combination.

ex. You go to celebrate Aurora's birthday, so while you wait you make birthday cards for her then get to suprise her with them.

for Belle you learn a song/ or skit then perform it for her

So it sounds like a little more than shuffle-shuffle-scribble-hug-flash-go

bork

A Bork and a Bork Bork? That's a lot of Borks. :p

From arial views it appears that all of the princess areas could be built with very little impact on Fantasyland, except for the closure of the Pooh and Ariel areas. That whole new area could be done and open before they have to start closing attractions like Dumbo, Pooh and the Tea Cups to complete the transitional areas.

It also appears that the Little Mermaid ride could use the two walls that remain from the 20k show building? Or at the very least that the Little Mermaid ride is about the same size as the 20k show building, while all of the meet and greets would be in the former lagoon area. Interesting, since the 20k queue was used for meet and greets for years until Pooh took over.

One last thought. It appears that Pinnochio's Village Haus is within the castle walls. It would really fit more with the area outside the walls.

Thrill Seeker

So I take it we don't have a time table for when either project will be done...

My guestimation is that Star Tours 2 will be open for Star Wars Weekends 2011. That just makes the most sense. Hold a huge Star Wars event with the capstone being the grand opening of Star Tours 2.

As far as FL is conserned, I'd hope they would start clearing ground as soon as late 2009. From the consept art, it was tough to figure out if the project could be done in phases or if it had to be done in one swoop. What I'd like to see happen would be:

20K Plot construction begin in late 2009.
Mermaid and 20k Plot Expansion area opens in 2011.
Toontown begins demolishment in late 2011.
Dumbo closes for relocation in 2012.
Toontown Expansion area opens in 2013.

That's entirely speculation. It would not shock me at all if we have to wait until 2013 to get anything from the expansion. We'll see what happens...

IlikeDW

I

Originally Posted by RadioHead
I think it's based on the concept of what they can do with that area. If they do it RIGHT, then that place can look very magical. I can imagine it now with various tree's lit up, with small laterns haning with small faries, and looking very story book. I agree with the person who said "Walt would be proud"...

Just look at Disneyland's. Beautiful.

link to DL Pixie Hollow images
http://patriciaafuller.com/2008/11/11/tinkerbells-pixie-hollow-arrives-at-disneyland/

SirGoofy

That's entirely speculation. It would not shock me at all if we have to wait until 2013 to get anything from the expansion. We'll see what happens...

They already said everything, save for Pixie Hollow, will be opening in 2012.:wave:

Studios Fan

So I take it we don't have a time table for when either project will be done...

My guestimation is that Star Tours 2 will be open for Star Wars Weekends 2011. That just makes the most sense. Hold a huge Star Wars event with the capstone being the grand opening of Star Tours 2.

As far as FL is conserned, I'd hope they would start clearing ground as soon as late 2009. From the consept art, it was tough to figure out if the project could be done in phases or if it had to be done in one swoop. What I'd like to see happen would be:

I definitely see a phased opening. The only thing is that is sounded like Mermaid and BatB would not be open until 2012. I could see Dumbo being moved sooner though as that is where they are doing the castle courtyard and that would create a major traffic bottleneck if Mermaid was open and there were walls up everywhere.

Walter Yensid

Yes, it does appear they are going for much more than just a plain old meet-and-greet. And it appears boys will be included quite a bit.

Anyway, looking at the concept art, Behind Cinderella's Step Mother's house (the middle chateau or house), you can see the 'show buildings'. They are actually quite large and stretch that whole section. My question from that is...

1) I am interested to know what they will do to theme the back of those buildings as there is a path running right back there (in between Ariel's area and those buildings). Probably the 'back side' of the house?

2) It seems these buildings will provide plenty of room for the show and seating for Cinderella's transformation show. Maybe Aurora's is less formal because she does not seem to have much more than her house...I do not see any show buildings or extra space. That could be quite the cramped room with a lot of kids with lots of crayons doing b-day cards. I think I will let my wife handle that one. haha

Interesting to try and figure out logistics.

sponono88

it will probably be an expanded, bigger version of DL's Pixie Hollow. The whole area looks beautiful at night.. the trees are all lit up with tiny little laser beams, it looks like the whole forest is enchanted with pixie dust. The small nighttime light/water show is a neat addition.

as a DL fan/local, i'm not bitter/jealous of the MK's expansion. I'm actually excited about the changes coming for WDW and really looking forward to the expansion. Here at DL we have our own expansion/renovations to look forward to as well as other additions like WoC.. As long as both resorts are being taken care of and have big things coming for them, there's no need for more DLvWDW wars :shrug:

IlikeDW

it will probably be an expanded, bigger version of DL's Pixie Hollow. The whole area looks beautiful at night.. the trees are all lit up with tiny little laser beams, it looks like the whole forest is enchanted with pixie dust. The small nighttime light/water show is a neat addition.

as a DL fan/local, i'm not bitter/jealous of the MK's expansion. I'm actually excited about the changes coming for WDW and really looking forward to the expansion. Here at DL we have our own expansion/renovations to look forward to as well as other additions like WoC.. As long as both resorts are being taken care of and have big things coming for them, there's no need for more DLvWDW wars :shrug:

I personally never saw a need for one to begin with. As a Disney fan, you should applaud a good attraction, no matter where it gets built. That's just another reason to travel somewhere new.

Like Tokyo.:lookaroun

I just provided the link as a reference of what it might look like, I think any new attraction in any park is great. I am going to DL for the first time next month. Would love to do tokyo or HK but that out of my $ right now.

happykid25

1) I am interested to know what they will do to theme the back of those buildings as there is a path running right back there (in between Ariel's area and those buildings). Probably the 'back side' of the house?

I thought on the blueprints that there was a Shop along that back walkway, potentially "King Triton's Treasures" that was posted in the original Fantastyland thread. So all along that portion of the walkway, (the back of the show building) would be themed to Ariel. Not sure how Aurora would blend into that on the end???

SirGoofy

I just provided the link as a reference of what it might look like, I think any new attraction in any park is great. I am going to DL for the first time next month. Would love to do tokyo or HK but that out of my $ right now.

Oh, that wasn't directed at you. Just some people around here who have a "Us vs Them" attitude towards Disneyland.

bork

One thing that bugged me about the artwork is how the dumbo attraction is right between the tea cups and the barnstomer. Sorry for the crude photoshop, but you can see how Dumbo would fit, but they would have to shorten the speedway track. I know it's just artwork, but it is interesting.

Unless they move the Barnstomer, which would seem odd.

Fantasyland_Edit1.JPG

http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/showphoto.php?photo=38317&size=big&cat=500

vonpluto

One thing that bugged me about the artwork is how the dumbo attraction is right between the tea cups and the barnstomer. Sorry for the crude photoshop, but you can see how Dumbo would fit, but they would have to shorten the speedway track. I know it's just artwork, but it is interesting.

Unless they move the Barnstomer, which would seem odd.

(snip image)

You bring up an interesting point. The concept art shows the front of the Dumbo tent on a line from the center of the Teacups thru the center of Barnstormer. Keeping in mind it is CONCEPT art, this would leave a huge area for Pixie hollow and would require changes to the Speedway.:shrug:

r2q9dt2.jpg

beyondyou

Dumbo tents

perhaps they will just build the tent que on top of the track and theme the tunnel area to tomorrow land theming?

idk, this one is a pickle indeed.
but of course, these blueprints are from the middle of the summer even before Fland expansion was announced.

they have some smart folks at imagineering, im sure they know what they're doing. haha

kingslyZISSOU

Interesting stuff. I think they'll keep toon town open for a couple years. It wouldn't take much to transform it into a circus to fit with dumbo, until it's time for the tink area.

I have a feeling the same midway games from dca will be making their way over here.

I'm pretty disappointed that it's almost 100% for little girls. I understand it was a demographic which could be leached onto even more, but Something to do with say sword in the stone would be nice.

I'm going to miss ttf. I grew up with it. I suppose mickey mouse is going to be living on the street for a while. Most likely asking for handouts. We should have a food drive in his honor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom