Fantasyland expansion a go - CONFIRMED

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
LOL, is he the god of this forum. Must I respect his ways or be banished. :ROFLOL: Gimme a break, the guy is a downer. Since when did post count make someone better? ROFLMAO

Post counts don't mean a thing. However, most people that have been around a while know the personalities of each other. This is actually an international online community with friends and family members. Some of us actually know other posters by more than just a screen name. Most people actually have a profile that says more than "Male."

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Post counts don't mean a thing. However, most people that have been around a while know the personalities of each other. This is actually an international online community with friends and family members. Some of us actually know other posters by more than just a screen name. Most people actually have a profile that says more than "Male."

Nicely stated.

_Scar

Just because I'm a private guy doesn't mean I can't read other people's personalities. I can clearly see what is going on :hammer:

On topic, it seems like the faire theme for the old FLand is going to be like a fair outside castle grounds... but it's a guess. :shrug:

Edit- wait..... castle grounds in Ciny's castle.... so urrrr ... ugh :cry: this is confusing.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
On topic, it seems like the faire theme for the old FLand is going to be like a fair outside castle grounds... but it's a guess. :shrug:

Edit- wait..... castle grounds in Ciny's castle.... so urrrr ... ugh :cry: this is confusing.

The wall is Cindy's wall? If so then that would make the fair be ON castle grounds. Right?

You are right...it is a little confusing.

_Scar

The wall is Cindy's wall? If so then that would make the fair be ON castle grounds. Right?

You are right...it is a little confusing.

Yea, and I've always though a the fair would be off castle grounds... still, WDW should not use a fair theme anymore and they should make it a European village.

Can anyone help me with my observations.... I can paint a mental picture in my mind of the beginning of western FLand looking at FLand's skyway station, does anybody know with the new plans what would go there?

cindy_k

My thoughts for the little castle wall is:
1. may be put up quickly.
2. used as a visual block for the construction
3. an advertisement for what is going on behind it
4. Then it becomes a grand new entrance to the new area.

:king:

RSoxNo1

The complaints about this expansion being geared towards girls are legit. The satisfaction level of young girls will probably be the highest of any demographic. But most of Fantasyland is geared towards children already. There is nothing wrong with this.

This is a welcome addition - a major attraction, a massive improvement to a popular ride (Dumbo), several diversionary attractions in the Princess locales, and 2 restaurants.

We have to realize that the majority of the people on these forums, the majority of the fanbois so to say, are adults. Although collectively we may enjoy Fantasyland, I imagine that if we were to list our top attractions it would be those that were geared more towards adults. Any addition to Fantasyland was likely going to fall out of that description.

With all that said, I have high expectations for this - I don't have any children, and I have a nephew who will be 6 when this opens, and another that should be born in January of 2010, so he'll be 3 when this opens. I imagine they will both love the colors, love the Dumbo area, and possibly love Ariel's Adventure, but I would also expect that girls of the same age would love it that much more.

imagineer boy

My thoughts for the little castle wall is:
1. may be put up quickly.
2. used as a visual block for the construction
3. an advertisement for what is going on behind it
4. Then it becomes a grand new entrance to the new area.

:king:

The castle wall could working for when construction is going on, but judging from the concept art picture I'm afraid it might cause a bottle neck for crowds. Didn't they want to stop FL over crowding?

jakeman

The castle wall could working for when construction is going on, but judging from the concept art picture I'm afraid it might cause a bottle neck for crowds. Didn't they want to stop FL over crowding?
If they are removing Dumbo to another location, I don't see how a porous wall facade would hinder traffic anymore than what is there now.

You also have to consider it will be opening to a much larger area.

There will be times during the construction that it will be worse than it is now for traffic flow, but that is just the nature of the beast.

DisneyRoxMySox

The complaints about this expansion being geared towards girls are legit. The satisfaction level of young girls will probably be the highest of any demographic. But most of Fantasyland is geared towards children already. There is nothing wrong with this.

This is a welcome addition - a major attraction, a massive improvement to a popular ride (Dumbo), several diversionary attractions in the Princess locales, and 2 restaurants.

We have to realize that the majority of the people on these forums, the majority of the fanbois so to say, are adults. Although collectively we may enjoy Fantasyland, I imagine that if we were to list our top attractions it would be those that were geared more towards adults. Any addition to Fantasyland was likely going to fall out of that description.

With all that said, I have high expectations for this - I don't have any children, and I have a nephew who will be 6 when this opens, and another that should be born in January of 2010, so he'll be 3 when this opens. I imagine they will both love the colors, love the Dumbo area, and possibly love Ariel's Adventure, but I would also expect that girls of the same age would love it that much more.

I am going to agree here. There is no one in my family who really spends a lot of time in FL anymore. We still try to get on the classics at least once, but after that, we move on. There are other things in MK we are much more intrested in.

That being said, whatever Disney decided to FL was a major improvement. We aren't losing anything that we have now. What could they have done to make it better? It looks as if there was room for maybe one more dark ride? (Not counting what I feel most of us hope for, BatB dark ride) I don't see any direction that would have been better than what we are going to expand too. Perhaps an area dedicated to Pinnochio instead of Pixie Hollow?

EPCOT Explorer

I study, take a few hours off from the internet, read, watch some football and THIS breaks out.:lookaroun Yay.:lol:

I had to head out for the day and I missed all the fun of the big announcements! But Ijust knew there would be stuff happening at Jay's speech regarding WDW, and that the big video screens of the Anaheim Arena would be where the action was on Saturday even though the Parks & Resorts pavilion on the exhibit floor was devoid of WDW news.

I couldn't help but notice that the "interactive games" in the Dumbo's Circus queue look alot like the new Dumbo Bucket Brigade midway game at California Adventure. I bet they'll be using that type of game as an inspiration for this interactive queue idea.

3425712473_d3520f3f65.jpg

I really like how Jay said the queue would be like "the first act in a show". That's something Disney got away from in recent years, after perfecting the idea in the 1960's and 70's on D and E Tickets. But I think it's the first time they've tried it with a simpler, smaller attraction like Dumbo.
Looks reasonable, and honestly, very nice.:D
I've got a theory. They keep saying "3 ring circus". Basically, what I see happening, si you enter the first ring and it has say 3 games/activities, the second ring has 2, and the final ring has 1. And then after the third ring, you are put onto the rides. When the people are on the rides are taken off, the people from the third ring go on, and then the people from the second ring go to the third, etc.

That's my theory.
Seeing the above, sounds about right.
I mean isn't he one of the main in WDI???? He seems to listen to the fans I mean the Frog Princess.....Now this????
Yep. This is ALL Lassetter. AKA jt's Sheriff.:lookaroun
John Lasseter had everything to do about this.*

*Not an opinion. He had everything to do with this. Without his support, Iger never would have done this. We owe everything to JL.
Yep.
Mermaid Construction Begins This January.
:sohappy:

FANTASTIC! Can't wait to see those walls.
Jay Rasulo gave a great presentation, though it was shorter than I expected it to be..

The Fantasyland expansion looks great. I'm mostly looking forward to Pixie Hollow, the Beast's castle, and TLM. The expansion is much needed, it brings aesthetics and a beautiful environment to that side of the park.

however, i'm a bit worried about 1) too many meet/greets 2) how this new area will clash with the old FL. Kind of disappointed that, besides TLM, the princess villages will end up being meet and greets in really beautiful surroundings.
I'm thinking that it will be two distinct areas. In one area, we have the Medieval Tent Area, and the other, the newer, more lush environment.

Honestly, I would love it it ALL got refurbed. It wouldn't be to hard to just change the facades with the attractions open, just look at MSUSA.
This new Fantasyland expansion for the Magic Kingdom looks very impressive in terms of scale, but in my opinion, it is sadly unlikely that the new Fantasyland will be re-built that big, because it will most likely be shrunken down to save money :(

Also, I think it looks boring and SO NOT unique, with a direct clone of the Little Mermaid ride, and a bloody circus tent from Dumbo, whoop-di-do!!!:mad: (BORING!!!) I know I am bitter but I hate circuses and clowns (except I like cirque du soleil)...

What needs to be added in the new Fantasyland is a HUGE real lagoon with a fully-functional 200ft long Nautilus sub (not a concrete one, but a proper metal submarine) from 20'000 Leagues Under The Sea docked in the center, with vast tropical landscaping, volcanic rock, palm trees, and waterfalls.

Also, a cave can be built nearby, with Captain Nemo's incredible inventions dispalyed inside.

That would be more interesting, what do you guys think?
I like the idea, but not for FL. FL has moved past that, unfortunately.

DAK...however...
This expansion to WDW, which is probably the first of two (T-Land), will be massively successful. Biggest event since Epcot's opening. Bigger than Animal Kingdom in impact. Write it down.
How?! A park vs a Land....

I know it's MK and all, but really?:rolleyes:
That is my point. If you were exited to experience the meet and greets I'd be worried for you. But can't you be excited for the target audience? Possibly when you have children you will understand what I'm saying.

By the way, if anyone out there aspires to be an Imagineer and you can't feel excited for those to whom this expansion is meant for, then you need a new career choice. Unless you have tons of empathy you can't be an Imagineer on the creative side.

And for all the folks who spin that Jay is a corporate ogre, well that spin got crushed yesterday. He obviously is a fanboy. With plenty of empathy

Yeah, I got the opposite of that. He looked uncomfortable, spoke uncomfortably, and honestly just didn't feel into it. IMHO, of course.

Fanboy? He was ordered to to do this.:shrug:

She wont be back.

*snicker*

jt04

I study, take a few hours off from the internet, read, watch some football and THIS breaks out.:lookaroun Yay.:lol:

Looks reasonable, and honestly, very nice.:D

Seeing the above, sounds about right.

Yep. This is ALL Lassetter. AKA jt's Sheriff.:lookaroun

Yep.

:sohappy:

FANTASTIC! Can't wait to see those walls.

I'm thinking that it will be two distinct areas. In one area, we have the Medieval Tent Area, and the other, the newer, more lush environment.

Honestly, I would love it it ALL got refurbed. It wouldn't be to hard to just change the facades with the attractions open, just look at MSUSA.

I like the idea, but not for FL. FL has moved past that, unfortunately.

DAK...however...

How?! A park vs a Land....

I know it's MK and all, but really?:rolleyes:

Yeah, I got the opposite of that. He looked uncomfortable, spoke uncomfortably, and honestly just didn't feel into it. IMHO, of course.

Fanboy? He was ordered to to do this.:shrug:

He was nervous but he is a bit like Lasseter in enjoying the stuff. No doubt.

Animaniac93-98

More thoughts:

- I know this is way to early to speculate but I hope each section has it's own area music loop. Walking into the BatB section and hearing the first 30 seconds of the prologue music from that movie would be amazing. Or what about the Tour of the Kingdom music from The Little Mermaid? Lots of possibilities for source music to be expanded upon.

- I also hope the Batb area will have fake tress planted to give a perpetual autumn look to the area like what is shown in the movie's opening and concept art. I also wonder if the Ballroom and West Wing are 2 of the 3 eating areas of Be Our Guest what will be the third? And will their connecting hallways feature suits of armour who's heads follow at you as you walk by?

- Finally about BatB I think the area itself will far more please fans of the film than any ride shoehorned into Snow White's building. The size of the area coupled with the detail and the ability to tour and interact with it at your own pace and have a different experience each time will be much better than some 3 minute trip that's done before you know it.

- I doubt Dumbo's queue won't be a line. More likely a queue around an arena area with games along it so it can be called an "attraction" when it is really a line for the Dumbo ride

- I was concerned about the castle wall's effect on traffic too, but jakeman is right about Dumbo already blocking people there so it can't be much worse.

- I have no issue with the current look for West Fantasyland staying. Not much can be done with Small World's exterior and since the Carousel won't go I say just keep it the way it is. It's only one section after all (just update and improve Peter on the inside and repaint the Carousel's canopy).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom