Fantasyland expansion a go - CONFIRMED

CaptainMichael

Exp Everest took almost that long from ground clearing to opening if my memory serves me correctly. Plus, they are going to have to try to complete alot of this construction as much as possible with as little impact to park operations as possible. (Noise, visibility, etc).

The problem with Mermaid is that it's at the very back of all this expansion, so most of it has to be done in order to be "good show." I imagine the stuff coming in 2013 will be Dumbo and Pixie Hollow because Mermaid and the new stuff from that side will be able to handle the lost capacity of Toontown and Dumbo.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
The problem with Mermaid is that it's at the very back of all this expansion, so most of it has to be done in order to be "good show." I imagine the stuff coming in 2013 will be Dumbo and Pixie Hollow because Mermaid and the new stuff from that side will be able to handle the lost capacity of Toontown and Dumbo.

Agreed, but how are they going to address the good show with areas like the tea cups, the carroselle, etc? My original thought was that we would basically see everything but attraction entrances walled off with elaborately painted construction walls/barriers like we have seen with the last few projects.
:shrug:

Disney-Nautifan

This new Fantasyland expansion for the Magic Kingdom looks very impressive in terms of scale, but in my opinion, it is sadly unlikely that the new Fantasyland will be re-built that big, because it will most likely be shrunken down to save money :(

Also, I think it looks boring and SO NOT unique, with a direct clone of the Little Mermaid ride, and a bloody circus tent from Dumbo, whoop-di-do!!!:mad: (BORING!!!) I know I am bitter but I hate circuses and clowns (except I like cirque du soleil)...

What needs to be added in the new Fantasyland is a HUGE real lagoon with a fully-functional 200ft long Nautilus sub (not a concrete one, but a proper metal submarine) from 20'000 Leagues Under The Sea docked in the center, with vast tropical landscaping, volcanic rock, palm trees, and waterfalls.

Also, a cave can be built nearby, with Captain Nemo's incredible inventions dispalyed inside.

That would be more interesting, what do you guys think?

Enchantâmes

This new Fantasyland expansion for the Magic Kingdom looks very impressive in terms of scale, but in my opinion, it is sadly unlikely that the new Fantasyland will be re-built that big, because it will most likely be shrunken down to save money :(

Also, I think it looks boring and SO NOT unique, with a direct clone of the Little Mermaid ride, and a bloody circus tent from Dumbo, whoop-di-do!!!:mad: (BORING!!!) I know I am bitter but I hate circuses and clowns (except I like cirque du soleil)...

What needs to be added in the new Fantasyland is a HUGE real lagoon with a fully-functional 200ft long Nautilus sub (not a concrete one, but a proper metal submarine) from 20'000 Leagues Under The Sea docked in the center, with vast tropical landscaping, volcanic rock, palm trees, and waterfalls.

Also, a cave can be built nearby, with Captain Nemo's incredible inventions dispalyed inside.

I like the expansion how it is. I'm sorry it es you off so much. OMG I cannot wait to see Beast's Castle!

JediMasterMatt

I completely disagree. A return of Verne's creations would work much better elsewhere. Not the Fantasyland of Disney characters that is being created for the Magic Kingdom. Captain Nemo and company work so much better in environments like Paris's Discoveryland or Tokyo's Mysterious Island, rather than being surrounded by cartoon characters like you propose for Fantasyland.

If Nemo were to return to Florida, it would work so much better in the Animal Kingdom if it were to ever get its version of Mysterious Island like has been discussed.

BTW - I don't know how anyone would be dissapointed in a true E-ticket, capacity eating monster in Mermaid being added to Orlando? If a 21st century Pirates or Haunted Mansion doesn't get you excited, nothing will.

WDWFigment

BTW - I don't know how anyone would be dissapointed in a true E-ticket, capacity eating monster in Mermaid being added to Orlando? If a 21st century Pirates or Haunted Mansion doesn't get you excited, nothing will.

Completely agree. I am surprised at the number of people who responded that they were disappointed in the announcements. If yesterday's announcements didn't get you excited, maybe it's time you find another hobby/vacation destination, as it's not going to get any better than this.

jt04

Ha Ha, you had me going for a second. :lol:

muteki

Looks like most of "old" Fantasy land will stay the same, and the only real disruption to the normal routine will be having Dumbo removed, and the Ariel meet and greet. After that is done, they can basically wall off everything from the back of Village Haus to the Pooh Meet and greet, then wall off Toon Town, and they are basically free to dig in all the new bits behind there without disrupting the existing FL too much. I think they will probably do this in stages, as I don't think they will want TT down with no place for those folk to go. So I think they will do the Belle/Cinderella part first as a phase 1, then close down TT and do Pixie Hollow/Dumbo as Phase 2, then Ariel/Aurora as Phase 3. Or some combination of that ordering.

jt04

Completely agree. I am surprised at the number of people who responded that they were disappointed in the announcements. If yesterday's announcements didn't get you excited, maybe it's time you find another hobby/vacation destination, as it's not going to get any better than this.

I am really suspect of anyone who finds this plan lacking. I personally think this, along with the aquisition of Marvel has some Potter folks scared to death.

This expansion to WDW, which is probably the first of two (T-Land), will be massively successful. Biggest event since Epcot's opening. Bigger than Animal Kingdom in impact. Write it down.

bg0617

Just wondering if the expansion will relocate Philharmagic. The blueprints does not mention this show at all. Furthermore the blue print does not mention peter pan or small world?

CaptainMichael

Just wondering if the expansion will relocate Philharmagic. The blueprints does not mention this show at all. Furthermore the blue print does not mention peter pan or small world?

None of these things are affected. It's all on the other side of the forthcoming castle wall.

polarboi

This from AllEars:
"-- Beast's Castle, which will house a 552-seat restaurant that is counter service by day, table service by night. The castle will have three areas, including the "West Wing", in which you will be able to see the Beast's private antechamber and the rose with dropping petals, featured in the animated film, Beauty and the Beast."

That sounds like the (really cool) rose effect they use in the Beast's library at DCA.

For those of you who have never been to Disneyland, there's a really cool animation building at DCA which houses, among other things, a one-room version of the Beast's castle. The effects in that room are truly outstanding. The magic rose sits on the mantel, floating inside its glass container; an animated fire burns in the fireplace, and a painting of the smiling prince hangs on the wall. Then as you explore the room, suddenly, lightning flashes, and an unseen Beastly hand rips through the painting. The fire goes out and the room darkens. The rose begins dropping petals that float down just like in the film. After a while, the rose loses its final petal, and in a flash of magic, the entire room is restored to its formerly cheery state.

At DCA, the "castle" is only that one room, and it only holds one attraction, magic books that let you answer questions to determine what Disney character you are.* In spite of having very little to do, the Beast's library is incredibly well themed and just a really cool place to hang out. If they could bring the same kinds of effects and immaculate theming to the WDW Belle/Beast castle, that would easily make it one of the most immersive experiences on property.

-p.b. :cool:

* If the "which character are you" quiz sounds familiar, it's because a completely mangled, unthemed version of it was added to MGM/DHS's animation building several years ago. I have no idea if it's still there or if it ever got themed, but last time I saw it, it was a pale imitation of the DCA version.

jt04

None of these things are affected. It's all on the other side of the forthcoming castle wall.

Yes the medieval fair will stay it seems. One of the cool things from the artwork seems to show that the WtP area will be done in fall colors :). I'm thinking that many of the trees in the new FL will be engineered.

That is going to be great. Has anyone heard if the queues for SW and Pooh will get the DL treatment?

Atomicmickey

If I'm going to really think about it, then, yeah--the expansion leans VERY heavily on Princesses, and the things young girls dream about--not the things that boys think " are cool".

Honestly--"what you do" in that land doesn't appeal to me at all, beyond the Little Mermaid ride. The Beauty and the Beast restaurant/show has appeal as well.

What has me excited about this is the scope of the concept art. What I enjoy most about WDW is the sense of being in another place/time. Disney does that the best. And this looks to be an amazing "place to be".

I also recognize/personally believe that this is a great way to counter Harry Potter. Not to directly compete for the audience that Potter is aimed at--but to revitalize the "Magic Kingdom" at it's core. Great move--
not reinventing things, but taking what Disney does best and turning it up to 11.

I also like the overall approach to this announcement, it makes me think that subsequent announcements--for other lands, other parks--in the years to come will be "done right", as this one has. So in that vein, it's "symbolically correct", and encouraging to see. Imagineering done right.
Can't complain about that--even if princesses aren't "my thing", I know that when they do get around to "my thing" (which would be a Mysterious Island type area for AK or something like that), that it will be given the same lavish attention to detail that FL is getting right now.

So, yeah, I wanna be there.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
If I'm going to really think about it, then, yeah--the expansion leans VERY heavily on Princesses, and the things young girls dream about--not the things that boys think " are cool".

Honestly--"what you do" in that land doesn't appeal to me at all, beyond the Little Mermaid ride. The Beauty and the Beast restaurant/show has appeal as well.

What has me excited about this is the scope of the concept art. What I enjoy most about WDW is the sense of being in another place/time. Disney does that the best. And this looks to be an amazing "place to be".

I also recognize/personally believe that this is a great way to counter Harry Potter. Not to directly compete for the audience that Potter is aimed at--but to revitalize the "Magic Kingdom" at it's core. Great move--
not reinventing things, but taking what Disney does best and turning it up to 11.

I also like the overall approach to this announcement, it makes me think that subsequent announcements--for other lands, other parks--in the years to come will be "done right", as this one has. So in that vein, it's "symbolically correct", and encouraging to see. Imagineering done right.
Can't complain about that--even if princesses aren't "my thing", I know that when they do get around to "my thing" (which would be a Mysterious Island type area for AK or something like that), that it will be given the same lavish attention to detail that FL is getting right now.

So, yeah, I wanna be there.

I understand where you are coming from and I have the same concerns. I have a 5yo boy and I was concerned about the comment in the press release that they are going to market this area to boys by having some of the villians in the appropriate areas. This concerns me to the extent that WDC is marketing villians to boys as an answer to marketing princesses to girls. Disney has so many characters that it could market to boys but they do not seem to want to invest the time or money to build the marketability of those characters. For instance, they could go back and to direct to video and TV prequals for the prince character in most of the movies. They could market a number of male characters that they have ignored (Treasure Planet comes to mind).

Maybe Disney will recognize this some day, because I feel that they are missing out on a brand loyalty issue with males.

SirGoofy

:rolleyes:

Imagine if Walt had said, "I only want a park with attractions that appeal to middle aged white guys from the mid-west".

I mean really SirGoofy, are you actually a Jungle Cruise "skipper" or are you a lonely troll? You need a long spell of shore duty if you are the former.
:lol:

Ah, jt.

I believe lonely troll is what your office door says here at WDWMagic.:wave:

Other than Little Mermaid, I wouldn't see anyone over the age 10, or anyone with a male set of genitalia, jumping for joy at the additions.

I'm excited for the added capacity, Mermaid, and Dumbo, but other than that...eh.:shrug:

maleficentfan

Here are my thoughts on this:

1. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! This expansion looks awsome and, even as a 20 year old male right now, it will draw me back into Fantasyland.

2. I really hope that this isn't just the only additions they are making. As others have said, I'd love to see a BatB dark ride be put in.

3. Ok. So, as you can tell I'm a really big fan of Maleficent. I would LOVE Disney forever if they would put in a Villians land. I know that the Magic Kingdom isn't really the place for Villians, but come on. I'd really love it if we had an area of the park where we were guaranteed to run into a few villians.

Everything looks Awesome and I can't wait to see how this turns out!

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Here are my thoughts on this:

1. ABSOLUTELY AMAZING! This expansion looks awsome and, even as a 20 year old male right now, it will draw me back into Fantasyland.

2. I really hope that this isn't just the only additions they are making. As others have said, I'd love to see a BatB dark ride be put in.

3. Ok. So, as you can tell I'm a really big fan of Maleficent. I would LOVE Disney forever if they would put in a Villians land. I know that the Magic Kingdom isn't really the place for Villians, but come on. I'd really love it if we had an area of the park where we were guaranteed to run into a few villians.

Everything looks Awesome and I can't wait to see how this turns out!

I think we will see a larger visibility of the villians when all is said and done.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom