Fantasmic

wdwforus

IMHO this is one of the best shows that incorporates all that WDW is about. You should make the time to see it no matter what. Mini golf for 90 minutes is something I can do while waiting for my wife to get out of Walmart. This is an incredible show and we ALWAYS make a reservation at Brown Derby and do the priority seating. It is number one on our must do list every time we go.

Lucky

I think Fantasmic is terrific, like most of the posters here, but some people - including my wife - do not like it. So there's no guarantee you will.

sbkline

Original Poster
I'm not sure what everyone is talking about when the mention the "first show" and the "second show". All I see on the calendar is Fantasmic at 8:30 PM. There is no mention of a second show.

MiceysBestPal

I'm not sure what everyone is talking about when the mention the "first show" and the "second show". All I see on the calendar is Fantasmic at 8:30 PM. There is no mention of a second show.

Many nights there is only one show.
On selected nights there can be a second or even third show.

You just need to look on the calendar to see.

There are times when Disney will ADD a show if it looks like there will be lots of guests. They usually do this at least a week in advance.

Keep checking the calendar.

If there is a second show (or third) the later show(s) will always be less-packed than the first show of the evening.

nighttimewisher

Fantasmic is definately worth the wait!
Something we did on our last trip was to see it after a waterpark. We would spend the day as usual in the waterpark then we would either get some dinner and go to MGM or just go straight there and ride ToT or something like that. This way we were just using up time that wouldve been spent on shopping or siilar unnecessary trips!

Craig & Lisa

If you wish, you can go to the second show on the nights that they have one and the crowds aren't as big, but the drawback is they don't have enough time to reset the piro's so for those of you that want the whole show don't go to the second show. If you want the whole deal the first show is the one to do. And yes if you want a good seat you have to get there at least an hour before, but it's worth the wait. Try to sit in Mickey or Scar section.

sbkline

Original Poster
If you wish, you can go to the second show on the nights that they have one and the crowds aren't as big, but the drawback is they don't have enough time to reset the piro's so for those of you that want the whole show don't go to the second show. If you want the whole deal the first show is the one to do. And yes if you want a good seat you have to get there at least an hour before, but it's worth the wait. Try to sit in Mickey or Scar section.

Checking the Disney Website for next month, it only shows one time for Fantasmic, which is at 8:30. So I guess it's that one or none at all. :lol: But like I said, I'm not too picky about which seating section we get. I guess I'll wait for the big day and see how busy it is and everything. I may just wait and get a back seat or standing room, and thereby enjoy the park for a little longer. Or, if we feel like we have sufficiently done the place already, then we may opt to wait in line.

MaXXimus

I personally cannot wait to see this show, twice as a child and once when I turned 18 and drove down with a friend I was never able to find the time to see it. So needless to say this time around I made it a point to purchase the dinner package so I will be @ the Brown Derby on this coming June 18th for a 6:10 dinner and then 9:00 PM Fantasmic :sohappy:

Rob562

One thing you can try if you have the people with you is have part of your party stand in line while the rest of you go on a ride or shop then switch places so you are not all standing in line the whole time. ToT and RRC are both close by as are most of the parks shops.
Steve

I just wanted to chime in on this comment because it's something you *SHOULDN'T* do with Fantasmic at WDW, at least not on a moderate or busy night where the theater might reach capacity.

At the Studios, Fantasmic is shown in an outdoor controlled-access amphitheater. As you enter, you pass through photocell turnstiles. When the counter reaches 8900 (or whatever the exact capacity is), they CLOSE the entrance and they don't let ANYONE else in. If your family enters the theater and then some people leave, their departure is read by the turnstiles, and their "spots" are added back into the available total. So if the theater were to fill up while they were gone, the gates would be closed and they wouldn't be let back in, even with the "but my family is in there" line. Capacity is capacity.

So unless it's a slow enough day that the theater won't reach capacity, you don't want to split your group up. (And as you said you've only seen Disneyland's, I can see why you thought the suggestion would be OK. At Disneyland you can claim your space and have some people hold down the fort while other go off into the park. There's no controlled access.)

But you don't have to worry about losing their spots for getting up for things like restrooms and food. There are restrooms and food stands (with limited selections) within the amphitheater after the point where you go through the turnstiles.

-Rob

EDIT: Sorry, I just re-read the post I quoted, and it was referring to people switching out while standing in line rather than in the theater. Though the suggested tactic WOULD be possible, it also consitutes line cutting under most parks' rules (though not sure what Disney's policy is).

Also, the only "bad" seats I've ever had were ones that are directly under one of the support arms of the overhead truss. Not the tall horizontal ones at the front that follow the curve of the water, but rather the two that come off that front one and slope down toward the back of the theater. Being directly in line with this puts one of the support poles directly in line with the center of the stage, blocking some view of a couple scenes (the Evil Queen/Hag scene is one that comes to mind, also some of Pocahontas). It doesn't block a lot, but rather it's just annoying to have this pole in your line of sight. :)

Disneyfanman

Just to pile on, Fantasmic is definately worth seeing. Is it worth 90 minutes? Not to me anymore, but I certainly waited that long quite a few times. Now I time my trips to be there on less crowded evenings during a less crowded time of year. We get there about 45 minutes in advance and judge the thing. If it looks OK, we go and get a snack and come back in. If it's crowded, we grab seats and then send a person to get them.

Even waiting, it's usually an upbeat crowd that does the wave, dances in the isles, and it goes by pretty fast. They play disnified music. It's a really good time and a wonderful way to end the day.

They have an "A" and "B" Dragon, sometimes they are understaffed and the effects are different or the staging changes. We have seen it so many time that we have it about memorized. And yet we almost always go. It's really that good.

Valawen9

On our previous off property visits to Disney-MGM, we have always opted to skip Fantasmic out of lack of interest. However, this time, since we are staying a week and have much more time, I thought we'd give 'er a try. However, that's when I was thinking it would be along the lines of the stadium shows at Sea World, where you just walk in shortly before the show and plop your butt down. But I read last night that there are actually lines for Fantasmic and that you may need to stake out your spot as much as an hour and a half before the show. Is this true? I'm not sure if it's worth it to us to waste that much time waiting for the show to begin. Yes, we have more time this time around, but that's an hour and a half we could use to enjoy the park at night, as we have never seen the studios at dark before. That's an hour and a half that we could use to go mini-golfing or something. So does this seem accurate that it's an hour and a half wait for this show? Do you consider it worth the long wait?

The first time I saw it I was really unimpressed. I've seen it a few times since then though and now I enjoy it a lot more than I did the first time. I usually get there 45 minutes before the show and I get a good seat right towards the front and in the center. Give it a try...you might like it!

spaceghost

Fantasmic was one of the top five memories from WDW when my wife and I went on our honeymoon. FWIW, we're doing the dinner package at Mama Melrose's when we go back on 4/21. I've personally never seen anything like it - we're making it one of our highlights for the return trip.

Wilt Dasney

At the Studios, Fantasmic is shown in an outdoor controlled-access amphitheater. As you enter, you pass through photocell turnstiles. When the counter reaches 8900 (or whatever the exact capacity is), they CLOSE the entrance and they don't let ANYONE else in. If your family enters the theater and then some people leave, their departure is read by the turnstiles, and their "spots" are added back into the available total. So if the theater were to fill up while they were gone, the gates would be closed and they wouldn't be let back in, even with the "but my family is in there" line. Capacity is capacity.

Yes sir. I've had to be the bad guy before.

DDuckFan130

We've arrived at Fantasmic half an hour before it started and there were still plenty of seats available. In fact, we've been able to sit in the middle section towards the bottom. A lot of people do not sit all the way down in front.

I used to not enjoy it as much as I do now. It is now a must-see every trip :D

sbkline

Original Poster
I guess I really should make a point to see it, since this may be the last time for quite a while that we are there. We initially planned to make this a 9 or 10 day trip and do some of the other non-Disney parks in there as well. But my wife decided that she wouldn't be able to be away from our baby for 2 weeks (he turns 1 on May 2), so we had to chop it down to a week and we opted to just do the Disney stuff and leave out the rest. So, Lord willing, we're gonna go to Flordia for a week again next year, but since I'm bummed out about not being able to do Sea World, Busch Gardens and Universal this time around, we're gonna make a point to do those next year, and then we would have two days left to do Disney parks, using two of the remaining four days on our 10 day pass from this trip. Then, we plan to start on our next child, so if that is a success, we may not be back for quite a while.

So, to make a long story short, I guess I should experience as much as possible this trip, because we may not be back for a while...at least not to MGM and Animal Kingdom. Hopefully we will see Epcot and MK again next year.

eagles

i called yesterday to get adr's for mama melrose for the 27april date, and they were booked. they did have ressies for the other 2 restaurants however. but i did not want them. so we are going to wing it. i am planning on getting there at least 1 hour ahead of time. right now that looks like it should be 730ish.

sbkline

Original Poster
i called yesterday to get adr's for mama melrose for the 27april date, and they were booked. they did have ressies for the other 2 restaurants however. but i did not want them. so we are going to wing it. i am planning on getting there at least 1 hour ahead of time. right now that looks like it should be 730ish.

So you'll be there the same day we are,huh? Well,if you see a pudgey blond guy with a bald spot on the back of his head with a chain wallet, with a thin pretty lady with long black hair, be sure to come say hi. :wave:

I have two WDW magic shirts, but I don't know which days I will be wearing them. Otherwise, I'll probably have a tank top on and, possibly a lanyard, as I am thinking of starting up a pin collection this time around.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom